Carbon tubular Mavic Ultimate vs Bora 35 Ultra vs ???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slowtsky

by Slowtsky

I am looking to buy a Carbon tubular and found good prices on the above two. Any suggestions?

Slowtsky

by Slowtsky

Does anybody have any experience with the Mavic Ultimate Tubular?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slowtsky

by Slowtsky

Ping :(

RyanH

by RyanH

I went from previous gen CCU to one ride with the new Cosmic Ultimate Tubulars. Mine had a creaking front bearing so I returned it but my initial impression was that they still felt slow like the previous gen but braking feel was very good. Oddly, I felt the Ksyrium Pro Carbons were more impressive for braking but they might need a hundred or so miles to bed in properly.

Boras on the other hand, I still rate them as the best all round wheel. They feel fast, are of decent weight and brake feel and power is very good.

Slowtsky

by Slowtsky

The main reasons I am looking at the new generation of Mavic's CCU are stifness and width (25mm for the new generation). They also alegedly improved their hubs so all in all there should be some improvements. Otoh Boras are more popular and people seem to be less polarized by them. First world problems...

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Bora's = better choice.

I've used Bora's 2012 and Mavic CCU first edition and the Bora's gave me a superb feeling descending. Better braking , but less stiff and a bit heavier but whats the most important thing when going down on some Alp climbs. Both wheelset are bombproof - even cobble stone rides but in fact the CCU are to stiff for that ( read uncomfortable ). I've used both sets for a year - rode them in the Alps - Flandres and some club rides used : Swisstop - Reynolds and Campagnolo brakepads.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I have the new wider mavic ccu and lightweight meilenstein 20. I like the former better because brakes better, more stable, and holds speed better than the latter. I also had new wide bora ultra 50, while it is bombproof i sold it because rims aren’t actually straight. Try riding on a trainer with boras and you’ll notice the rim bed crooked where the spokes pull.

RyanH

by RyanH

The revision to the hubs is not out yet, not until 2019. If you buy the currently available Cosmic Ultimate, you'll be getting the same hubs it's always been.

I should add that the new Cosmic Ultimate were the most stable descending wheel I've ever been on.

Slowtsky

by Slowtsky

RyanH wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:21 pm
The revision to the hubs is not out yet, not until 2019. If you buy the currently available Cosmic Ultimate, you'll be getting the same hubs it's always been.

I should add that the new Cosmic Ultimate were the most stable descending wheel I've ever been on.
Wait - I thought the Mavic CCU tubular that are sold on starbike have the new hubs. They are the 2019 model... These are the ones I am looking at. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
PS
I read more carefully the specs for 2019 and there is no mention of ID360 - the new hub from Mavic. Sigh.
Last edited by Slowtsky on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slowtsky

by Slowtsky

ome rodriguez wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:27 am
I have the new wider mavic ccu and lightweight meilenstein 20. I like the former better because brakes better, more stable, and holds speed better than the latter. I also had new wide bora ultra 50, while it is bombproof i sold it because rims aren’t actually straight. Try riding on a trainer with boras and you’ll notice the rim bed crooked where the spokes pull.
Just checking to make sure we are on the same page - do you have the 2019 Mavic CCU tubulars? Sounds promising.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

At least judging by Mavic's own website only the brand new UST version of the CCU has the ID360 freehub.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Mine are 2018 tubulars, only difference from 2019 are the decals.
The revision of the hubs are only for the ust version, full carbon rear hub and all bonded carbon spokes without the brass nipples.

Slowtsky

by Slowtsky

ome rodriguez wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:30 pm
Mine are 2018 tubulars, only difference from 2019 are the decals.
The revision of the hubs are only for the ust version, full carbon rear hub and all bonded carbon spokes without the brass nipples.
Much appreciated! I was wondering what's the difference between 2018 and 2019; it's decals / cosmetics only. Good to know. How would you rate the hub? My understanding is that people don't think very highly of the current Mavic hubs.

Rappid

by Rappid

I'm using CCU since 2010. These are 2008 model with yellow stickers on them :)
I'm very happy with them. Very stiff and light 1170g but I'm only 68kg.
Great handling in corners. Braking surface is a bit worn out but I'm using them with Reynolds Cryo Blue pads for more stopping power.
I did Le Tour du Mont Blanc race this year on them. Climbing like a goat ;) Paired with Continental Sprinter tubs.
The wheels are slow on the flats. I have better feeling with cheap chinese winter wheels.
If you training and racing on the hills these wheels are for you!
Superb acceleration on the climb.
Freehub? I have to service every 2 weeks.
I would buy 2019 version.
Last edited by Rappid on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I second what Rappid said. It's amazing at how slow they feel on the flats. You let off the pedals and you instantly feel like you're slowing down. I did a rollout test and they didn't test differently than Enve 3.4 which felt the opposite so they're not actually slower* but damn, do they feel like rolling through peanut butter.

Regarding the 2019 model, according to BikeRumor, the tubular version IS getting the updated hub and they won't be dropping til 2019 so whatever you see listed as 2019 right now is the same as 2016-2018.