"New" boras on Colnago c59?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys!

Recently i was looking for a new aero bike, but got tired of all the disc, flat bars and weird looking frames in my size (big haha) :mrgreen:

And right there in my search, I found a NOS Colnago c59 in my size.

But my question is, does the new 2015-2018 wider bora one 35/50 fit on the c59?

//Soren

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

The wheels will work fine on a C59 though you will probably be limited to 23mm tires (as they often measure 25mm on wider rims).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Running tubulars or clinchers? I run 25mm Veloflex Arrenbergs (tubulars) on the newer Boras and they’re perfect. The same tires on the older narrower Boras get squeezed “pushed up” a bit and sit just enough higher that even though I could run them, clearance is tight.
It’s really tough to say with clinchers as they can vary so much with tire/rim combos. I know that a 25mm Conti 4000Sii (a lot of folks’ goto tire in the area) will not work on a Shamal Ultra rim (17mm internal width) in that frame, but a 23mm does, and on that rim comes out to pretty much a 25mm equivalent volume. Conti 4000’s are also the tallest sitting clincher out there so they are a good “tester” tire for clearance issues. But yes, you will be able to find a nice tire that fits volume wise like a 25mm tubular on the new Bora rims. I’d take a look at the Specialized Turbo Cotton clinchers as well. Haven’t used them but heard good things so far and, at least in the tubular versions, they’re sized at 24mm and 26mm so I’d be curious to know how those sit on these rims.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Calnago wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:11 pm
Running tubulars or clinchers? I run 25mm Veloflex Arrenbergs (tubulars) on the newer Boras and they’re perfect. The same tires on the older narrower Boras get squeezed “pushed up” a bit and sit just enough higher that even though I could run them, clearance is tight.
It’s really tough to say with clinchers as they can vary so much with tire/rim combos. I know that a 25mm Conti 4000Sii (a lot of folks’ goto tire in the area) will not work on a Shamal Ultra rim (17mm internal width) in that frame, but a 23mm does, and on that rim comes out to pretty much a 25mm equivalent volume. Conti 4000’s are also the tallest sitting clincher out there so they are a good “tester” tire for clearance issues. But yes, you will be able to find a nice tire that fits volume wise like a 25mm tubular on the new Bora rims. I’d take a look at the Specialized Turbo Cotton clinchers as well. Haven’t used them but heard good things so far and, at least in the tubular versions, they’re sized at 24mm and 26mm so I’d be curious to know how those sit on these rims.
This is great Thanks! So it’s actually more in the height than the width? I was going for the clincher version. I’m not gonna use the contis, they almost killed me with a sidecut in a corner. Twice! Haha.

But actually got both turbo cotton 24mm, the Michelin Pro 23mm and 23+25 corsas.. So could se what fits best.

Something inside me wants tubular on the 35 Bora, for a Classic look. But there is none good lbs in the area and i aint got any expirence with tubular. :(

AJS914

by AJS914

On taller tires like the previously mentioned 25mm GP4000 (measures 27-28mm), the tire will hit the top of the fork crown. I was actually inquiring about his in the Colnago topic and Eurpeg mentioned making some half moon spacers so his fork will sit a tiny bit higher and leave clearance for a taller tire.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I know Eurperg uses those and I know another guy locally who resorted to something like that for a little while. I don’t really like anything that changes where the axle sits in relation to the design of the frame’s geometry, even a little bit. I’d rather use tires/wheels that fit without resorting to spacers etc. but that is an option for sure.

And yes, the clearance issues will be more due to height than width, especially under the fork crown. Unless you have one of the last runs of the C59 where they actually used the first version of the C60 fork which has a bit more clearance.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Calnago wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:05 pm
Yes, I know Eurperg uses those and I know another guy locally who resorted to something like that for a little while. I don’t really like anything that changes where the axle sits in relation to the design of the frame’s geometry, even a little bit. I’d rather use tires/wheels that fit without resorting to spacers etc. but that is an option for sure.

And yes, the clearance issues will be more due to height than width, especially under the fork crown. Unless you have one of the last runs of the C59 where they actually used the first version of the C60 fork which has a bit more clearance.
I’m gonna do the Grand fondo flanderen next year, alot og pavés, so no fancy tricks on the wheels. Haha.

I’m gonna buy the wheels and see what happens. Just sold my meilensteins they would have fit, but i have a thing for boras, so i’m gonna give those beautys a try.

fa63

by fa63

Does the fondo go over any of the famous cobbled climbs (Paterberg, Koppenberg, etc.)? Not sure you want to ride those on 23c tires.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

23mm clinchers on wider rims are the new 25's :lol:
He'll be fine for a few cobbled rides here and there... now if he was doing that every day... would be differerent.

fa63

by fa63

Having ridden some of those Flemish cobbles this summer, I respectfully disagree :) But to each their own of course.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I hear ya... but he’s not out to win a race, but rather for the “experience”. :)
It wasn’t all that long ago when the pros were on 25’s over the same. He will live.

Kurets

by Kurets

If I am not mistaken, 25 mm is a common width for the flemish classics. Just as 28 mm is now the most common for P-R (used to be 30 mm a few years ago), it seems like the "wider is better" trend has died down on the profesdional level. I would not hesitate riding 25 mm there, although I have used what is effectively 26 mm the few times I have been there.

Sent from my H4113 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com