Deep carbon clinchers with 28 spokes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

I have some 28 spoke CK R45s currently built on to Ambrosio Chrono tubular rims. Im thinking of putting some Light Bicycle 55mm carbon clincher rims on them. Is a 28 radial spoke front wheel going to look wrong? I guess it wont be as aero it might be too stiff as well.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about a 14 spoke. If you aren't too heavy it could work.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I'd worry about the hub flanges.

joejack951

by joejack951

wilwil wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 am
I have some 28 spoke CK R45s currently built on to Ambrosio Chrono tubular rims. Im thinking of putting some Light Bicycle 55mm carbon clincher rims on them. Is a 28 radial spoke front wheel going to look wrong? I guess it wont be as aero it might be too stiff as well.
Plenty of disc brake wheels using 24 to 28 spokes and fairly deep rims out there. My own bike has 24F/28R and 40mm rims with CX-Rays. I think it will look fine. 'Too stiff' would be the least of my concerns.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

You could use extra thin spokes. Bit more expensive though.

/a

wilwil

by wilwil

I was going to use black CX Rays. The hubs are black. 14 spokes might be pushing it – I'm not a racing whippet at 74 kg. Brass or alloy nipples? I normally use brass but that's for winter wheels. I notice Enve now use brass.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Alloy is long lasting as long as it's anodized. Being external is better in that regard too to avoid moisture for a long time.

Alloy doesn't stand a long time if it's constantly tinkered with so for best longevity get the build done right from the start. Use a good nipple key so you don't damage the nipples.

Also make sure the spoke threads go all the way into the head of the nipple. I've only ever broken alloy nipples that didn't have the right spoke length.

To get extra solid hold on the spokes I used Pillar DNS nipples on my last build. I have to say I'm impressed. The wheel has too few spokes for the rider weight and I expected it to go ouy of true but it's as true now as after I finished it. Rider is going over terrible roads too. Big thumbs up for long headed nipples. Sapim has their kind too. In any case for extra solid build I suggest a long head.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

They are actually called Pillar DSN nipples; Sapim spell it out as double square. Highly recommend.

28 wouldn't look wrong or be wrong or anything like that.