Wheel build advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tnkn

by tnkn

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new set of wheels built or off the shelf, mainly as a "best" set that will only see light during the summer months or taken on holidays.

Spec-wise I'm looking for a disc specific wheelset 30 to 40mm deep and ideally around 1300g and tubeless compatible. My current wheels have centre lock hubs, but I believe 6 bolt hubs would be lighter. Would still rather centre lock.

Budget is around £1200.

Cheers for the help.

Marin

by Marin

What's your question then?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tnkn

by tnkn

Marin wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 pm
What's your question then?
Any recommendations? :P

Marin

by Marin

My recommendation would be to ask Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Best depends on weather, power, speed, road quality, rider weight, course, purpose (fast/light/comfort/stiffness).

Provide some info. Arrange in order of importance.

/a

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am trying to work out a spec for the op but that weight goal is not easy without a big spend.

tnkn

by tnkn

Weather - Summer/dry days only.
Power - I'm not a sprinter, more or a climber.
Speed - I'll be using them for holidays in the Alps, Pyrenees, anywhere with mountains.
Road quality - depends.
My weight - 67kg
alcatraz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 am
Best depends on weather, power, speed, road quality, rider weight, course, purpose (fast/light/comfort/stiffness).

Provide some info. Arrange in order of importance.

/a

Harpoon

by Harpoon

I've been researching factory and custom carbon disc wheelset builds a lot recently - I've got an Excel spreadsheet with about 60 wheelsets so far.

The closest factory wheels to the 1300g weight on my list are Roval CLX32 which is listed at 1350g but are almost £1700 so blow the budget.

Hunt claim 1379g for their 30 Carbon Aero Disc at £879. (Edit) Online reviews I've read have the claimed weight as being reasonably accurate but there are forum posts (eg https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 5#p1378256) which have them 100 to 120g heavier...

Token Ventous Prime is a little deeper at 36mm and heavier (1404g) but again in budget from Merlin at £935. I've struggled to find any in depth reviews on Token wheels though.
Last edited by Harpoon on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Look at something like these wheels from r2-bike: https://r2-bike.com/Wheelset-28-Disc-Ne ... y-RR-CX-GR. Mcfk 35mm rims, Newmen straightpull CL hubs, CX-Ray spokes, claimed weight 1230g. They're slightly over your £1200 limit at €1550, but much cheaper than anything comparable from companies such as Zipp or Enve, and I don't thing you'll find anything meeting your 1300g target at the price you're wanting.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How do you like descending mountains on carbon rims? Could it rain when doing so?

Sounds to me like you might have to give up a lot of speed/performance for safety here (alloy shallow rims) unless you go with some expensive carbon that is proven good for descending like campy wheels. 2nd hand bora 50s?

/a

Harpoon

by Harpoon

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am
How do you like descending mountains on carbon rims? Could it rain when doing so?

Sounds to me like you might have to give up a lot of speed/performance for safety here (alloy shallow rims) unless you go with some expensive carbon that is proven good for descending like campy wheels. 2nd hand bora 50s?

/a
OP is after discs though, should be no descending worries...

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm embarassed.

Options looking a lot better. 38mm wide carbon clinchers maybe.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have worked out a spec that 1255g use extralite hubs and rims from the manufacturer I deal with. Best thing is the price. A bit over his budget but not by much.

I like enquiries like this it get me thinking about what is possible. I'll probably get all the parts anyway and build them regardless of whther the OP buys or not.
Rims are 30mm deep and 26.5mm wide.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

This is a pretty easy spec to hit. Our 28mm (carbon) GOAT disc wheels with I9 hubs meet your criteria in all regards and you could beat them with a sledge hammer when you're not riding them. 36mm RCG wheels would be just a bit outside your weight spec but not far.

With good carbon rims made specifically for discs, you gain a lot of strength because of the better chemistry of resins that don't need to deal with brake heat, you lose a bunch of weight because the brake track area on rim brake rims is overbuilt to deal with both the brake heat stress and the brittleness of the heat resistant resin, and the rims are a lot more tolerant of the build process so you see fewer dumb failures like spoke hole pulls and bead hook cracks.

To hit your spec, you just need to find credible rims that are made for disc, avoid paying excessive premiums for branding, and find a builder/brand you can trust.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

NovemberDave. Do you guys sell rims only or just complete wheelsets? I have a pair of 240 hubs that I need to lace up to something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com