Tubular tyre choice for racing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jarn90

by jarn90

Hello guys, need some advice about tubular tyres for racing.

I currently ride Continental Sprinter Gatorskin 25mm however i would like to try out some new, lighter, ones.

As far as i know Conti does not use latex tubes, but brands like Challenge do.

Is latex a must-have for racing?

Can you guys recommend tires you find good yourself?

Requirements:
- 25-26mm tyre width
- pattern on the tyre - NOT slick tires!
- My budget is approx 70€ / 62£ a tyre
- Latex innertube (if superior?)
- Also i hate punctures so tires must not be 190g and thin like paper :)

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

What do you want the tread pattern for?

Vittoria Corsa G+ or Veloflex Roubaix

jarn90

by jarn90

I want tread pattern because i feel uncomfortable on slick tyres especially in rainy conditions.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I previously read somewhere that the continental GP4k tread pattern works very well aerodynamically, though its just a coincidence and not by design.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Slick tyres offer the most possible grip, tread patterns are added mainly for marketing purposes. Wider, flattter tyres have genuine tread to minimise the chances of aqua planing at high speeds, but 2.5cm bicycle tyres aren’t at any risk of that

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Continental Competition in 25mm.

Gator skins are not a good racing tire.

Geoff

by Geoff

@Jarn90, I tend to agree on the tread idea. That is my preference, too.

Tires like the Conti Comps are a file tread, which is ok, but I personally prefer a tire with herringbone patterns on the sides, like the old Vittoria CGs we used for decades as the 'go-to' tubular for all-around road racing (with a CX up-front in good weather). While Vittoria has retired the CG from its lineup, it does offer the Corsa Elite, which has a similar 'All-Weather'/CG-type tread pattern, but with a butyl tube.

From the perspective of tube choice, latex does 'feel' better and are more durable, but there is a 'cost', which is pressure loss. Dugast Is using latex/silicone tubes for 'cross now, which is interesting. I have a bunch of Rhinos and Fast-Birds to glue-up, so that will be fun to see.

If you have your heart set on a classic, all-around road race tire with a latex tube, then you are probably looking at a real, hand-made tire. Both of Dugast (with the Strada) or FMB (offering the Service Course) fit the bill. You can ge the Dugast Strada with the Flying Doctor reinforced caseing (like 'cross), but I have never tried one. Personally, I prefer using the true, hand-made tires anyway (which is the way that all tires were made when I was racing anyway). It has been awhile since I have had to buy tires at retail, but I suspect that there would be a not insignificant premium to pay. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Good luck!

Jugi

by Jugi

Zakalwe wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:18 pm
Slick tyres offer the most possible grip, tread patterns are added mainly for marketing purposes. Wider, flattter tyres have genuine tread to minimise the chances of aqua planing at high speeds, but 2.5cm bicycle tyres aren’t at any risk of that
And the tread is so light most of it wears out in some hundreds of kilometres. If one wants to always ride ”on a tread”, it means a tire change for the rear quite often.

I would go with Continental’s Competition as well. The pros ride almost exclusively on Competition LTD, so that is most likely the next best thing. And when on a budget, Conti’s Sprinters are more durable and almost as fast, I think the biggest difference is in riding feel.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Tread patterns allow a boundary layer of air to form over the tyre. Air moves over air with less turbulence than over rubber. Slick tyres therefore perform worse aerodynamically than tyres with a fine tread pattern.

Also tyres that sit wider than the rim also perform worse. As it turn out tubs have high rolling resistance than there clincher equivalents. I use the gator skin tubs too but I hate them. Conto competitions are not bad in 25mm but the ride is not that great. I like the vitoria paves in 27mm but tubeless tyres are more comfortable and faster. I have other tubs too, 30mm strada biancas, 23mm corsa, 27mm dugasts and 22mm conti gp4k and there all o. K but my tubeless tyres are better in every way. So which tub for racing, none. Go tubeless but do it properly.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Boundary layers, width affecting aero, rolling resistance.. it’s all nonsense.

Ride a tub because it’s safer, feels better and is a lighter system. Get a tyre that doesn’t flat too often and forget about all that other nonsense

Jaspero

by Jaspero

Did a few races on Corsa cx iii (23mm) and even in that size is really like them. Good grip in corners and when descending. They roll also fast.
All races where in dry weather.

If these are worn ill try conti competetion or sprinters.

bahn

by bahn

I race on Veloflex Arenbergs... I am sure there's faster tubs out there based on the rolling resistance scores scattered around the internet but I feel safe and assured in the dry, rain, road races and crits. I also know clinchers are meant to have lower rolling resistance but I just feel safer knowing if I flat in a large group and/or speed then I can come to a stop safely and without such urgency.

I have punctured very infrequently on them - I also use them for my daily wheels most of the year around. The veloflex are always a joy to just ride - the ride so nice that I always rememeber I am riding tubs when I am on the bike.

I am tempted to throw some money at picking up some conti competition LTDs so see if I am missing out on something magical and put them on a set of my race wheels for a bit... however unsure if and what type or race or conditions would work best for this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com