Latex Tubes/Carbon Rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markdjr

by markdjr

My local wheel shop told me I should not be using Latex in Carbon rims due to heat transfer and a potential for a blow out. After looking online it seems like there are a lot of people doing it anyway, what is the consensus around here? The longest descents I might do are 10-20 minute and that would be on rare occasions and I wouldn't be riding the brakes the whole time.

sungod

by sungod

it's a matter of what risk you are ok with

lots of people smoke, some don't get cancer, heat disease, etc., that does not make smoking 'safe'

people have reported latex tube failue when braking causes temperature rise

length of descent is not what's important, you could descend for hours without the temperature getting too high, or in 1-2 minutes have to brake so much the tube fails, i.e. stuck behind other riders/vehicles on a hot day

it's likely to be the front as that's where most braking energy goes into the rim, and hard braking is most likely before corners, i.e. the worst place to have a tube fail is also the most likely place a tube will fail

if you are ok with the risk, no need to change what you do

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markdjr

by markdjr

That seems like a good analogy and insight. I think if I were to switch back to latex maybe I'd only run it in the rear.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you don't need to do crazy descents then you can feel safe on latex. Depends on your weight too. I'm light.

I've done years of crazy descents on razorthin challenge tubes. They never blew because of overheating.

Stay with 0.45mm butyl in the front for safety though. Besides, the rolling resistance saving in the front is less than in the rear because you don't have as much weight in the front.

I'd think a good rim tape with a heat layer could make a rim 99% safe for latex. Just need to get it all the way under the hooks. In fact only there becaue that's where the heat is.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I’m happy with my latex tubes in my carbon clincher rims (currently on Challenge, but have used Victoria and Michelin in the past). Have been doing so for nearly a decade without a single blow-out issue. I live within minutes of 5 canyons and regularly ride them, but I don’t drag my brakes. My only hesitation with latex for first-timers is the delicate install... take your time and go slow to avoid pinches that will catastrophically fail anywhere from immediately to overnight.

ichobi

by ichobi

Really depends on the condition of descent. I live in Thailand. Lots of mountains here are stupid steep due to poor road engineering. They just cut it straight up. The weather is always 32c plus. I use latex on my Rovals and have yet to get a blowout. It's on my mind of course so I just stop when there are too many cars. I also try to go down before anyone else so I can use the full road and use less brake. It's not really a hassle and the benefit of latex means I have a clincher that ride like tubular.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

85kg
Enve 4.5 NBT
Vredestein Superlight Latex (50g)

I've descended for loooong durations in race conditions and never (touch wood) had a blow-out.

I talking about descents like Col de la Madone, Col de Braus, Col de Castillon etc.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

rasmusic

by rasmusic

I've ridden latex in carbon clinchers for 10 years, never had a problem.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Op asked for the consensus on latex’s safety. But the irony is that those who had a blowout are not able to respond to the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otoman

by otoman

Haha, mic drop
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Stueys

by Stueys

I read this https://enve.com/use-of-latex-tubes-wit ... cher-rims/ and switched. Prefer the feel of latex but didn’t seem worth the potential risk.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I'm big (185lbs), and love descending as well as late, hard braking. Been using Vittoria latex tubes front and rear in Bontrager Aeolus wheels for two years without a single problem. I don't particularly worry about it.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

wheelbuilder wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:12 am
I'm big (185lbs), and love descending as well as late, hard braking. Been using Vittoria latex tubes front and rear in Bontrager Aeolus wheels for two years without a single problem. I don't particularly worry about it.
Late hard braking is the way to not heat things up so much, dragging the whole way down is way worse.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I've been running Vredestein latex tubes in my Enve classic 45 clinchers since about 2013, no blow outs, only user error install issues. Honestly, it depends on how you ride and where you ride, but there just aren't the issues there used to be. Vredestein are pretty thin, Vittoria and Challenge seem thicker so you could maybe start with them first if you take the plunge

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Challenge latex has quite varying wall thickness and it worried me at first but it's held up fine. I wouldn't recommend them as a latex entry level tube. With thin tubes the installation/maintenance skill level goes up.

I'd love to try vredestein but I can't get a hold of any here in China.

The challenge tubes are 48-53gr.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com