Sealant in Tubulars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markdjr

by markdjr

Any feedback on putting tubeless sealant in a tubular tire for road rides? I've been riding tubeless and have had great luck, I've got one set of tubulars that I've been thinking about using out on the road and figured this might be a good fail safe. Thanks for any feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I do. Not precautionary. Haven't had 100% success.
Less is more.

Jugi

by Jugi

Sealant's capabilities depend on the tubular's inner tire's material. Some seal better than others.

I have had very good experiences with Continental's tubulars and sealant. But Conti's Sprinter is very durable in the first place, which might affect my assesment. With Schwalbe there have been clear differences between individual tires even when using the same model all the time (One). Vittoria's tubs have not worked with sealant at all in my experience.

Usually tubs need air to be added after a couple days. The sealant doing it's job in the tire can be determined by following the need to add air. If the tires start to hold pressure much better (from a couple of days to couple of weeks), it is a sign of the sealant working.

General advice: always add pressure to tubs with sealant by turning the valve to the highest point on the rim. That way there is the least amount of sealant around the valve when it is opened and closed, which will help preventing the valve clogging up with sealant.

sungod

by sungod

i only put sealant in once there's a puncture to fix, and then only if it's not too big (if it is, fit the spare tub)

otherwise the tub will get heavier and crr will increase for no benefit, the sealant will dry out, more will have to added, etc., and as above the valve/stem may get clogged

at road pressures, 6-7 bar or higher, few sealants are reliable on larger cuts, 2-3mm say, beyond that carcass damage makes it better to repair than try to seal

tufo extreme is the best i've found

ones i've tried and found useless/inferior are vittoria pitstop (useless), orangeseal, both normal (meh) and endurance (poor)

some people say organgeseal works for them but compared to tufo extreme it's far less fibrous and slower drying, i tested some (normal type) in an old worn tub, it couldn't hold pressure on a cut size that tufo extreme was fine with

main downside with tufo is it has a limited shelf life, maybe 2 years at room temperature (i keep new bottles in the fridge, seems to make it last much longer), and once opened it tends to start clumping in the bottle, it will easily seal it's nozzle, the valve, the stem, and if a tyre is allowed to delate it will quickly stick the inner tube to inself

i've used it with veloflex, vittoria, dugast, and conti tubs, all seal well

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Bring the sealant out in a small bottle and use when necessary. Unless you're racing, you don't need to add sealant as a pre-emptive move. It'll dry out eventually and might gum up your tubes if your tire is left deflated so I wouldn't put it in before I'm struck with a puncture.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

exctasy

by exctasy

i dont put any in preventively.
I've used effetto mariposa espresso twice for tiny punctures on my corsas..and both worked.

KCookie

by KCookie

Orange seal has always worked well with my Veloflex, but the mariposa was just awful.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Orange Seal in veloflex and vittoria for me
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

markdjr

by markdjr

Thanks for all the feedback. Using after the fact as opposed to preventatively makes sense to me. I've been using Finish Line sealant with my tubeless set ups which has been working well.

kytyree

by kytyree

I'm also in the Orange Seal after the fact camp. I carry a small bottle on the road bike, if I haven't used it recently I dump the bottle in my mountain bike tires and refill the bottle with new whenever I top up my tubeless MTB tires.

addictR1

by addictR1

i ride veloflex and tried orange seal but had hit or miss results. after sungod suggested tufo extreme... i bought it... and used it last weekend and sweet~ no more leaks! that sucker seal up quick. had to squeeze a much in as possible and when ever i take it out to check on it and try to pour some more back in.. the valve would start to seal up a bit from the buildup. so i bring a paper clip with me as suggested by sungod. :)

3Pio

by 3Pio

sungod wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:00 am
i only put sealant in once there's a puncture to fix, and then only if it's not too big (if it is, fit the spare tub)

otherwise the tub will get heavier and crr will increase for no benefit, the sealant will dry out, more will have to added, etc., and as above the valve/stem may get clogged

at road pressures, 6-7 bar or higher, few sealants are reliable on larger cuts, 2-3mm say, beyond that carcass damage makes it better to repair than try to seal

tufo extreme is the best i've found

ones i've tried and found useless/inferior are vittoria pitstop (useless), orangeseal, both normal (meh) and endurance (poor)

some people say organgeseal works for them but compared to tufo extreme it's far less fibrous and slower drying, i tested some (normal type) in an old worn tub, it couldn't hold pressure on a cut size that tufo extreme was fine with

main downside with tufo is it has a limited shelf life, maybe 2 years at room temperature (i keep new bottles in the fridge, seems to make it last much longer), and once opened it tends to start clumping in the bottle, it will easily seal it's nozzle, the valve, the stem, and if a tyre is allowed to delate it will quickly stick the inner tube to inself

i've used it with veloflex, vittoria, dugast, and conti tubs, all seal well

Same experience as this.. I found Tufo Extreme working very well with Vittoria Corsa G+, and also dont use as prevention, but only if i have punctures... I also bought Continental RevoSealant to try it, but knock in wood still no punctures on my Conti Sprinter tires, so never tried until now.. Wondering how are ur experiences with this sealant?

And Sungod, thanks for tip for keeping Tufo Extreme Sealant in the fridge.. I have few bottles which i keep on room temperature, so i'll just move them in the fridge (if it's not too late, since i have them 6 months - 1 year, and dont know long was in the warehouse of the mailorder where i bought them).

sungod

by sungod

i found out the hard way about the shelf life, had 2 bottles unused, tried one and it was mostly set, tried the other, same, caps were tight, just had been hanging around too long - if you shake the bottle and hear it slosh around and it dissolves the dark part that settles it's likely to be ok, if it makes little or no sound and the dark part stays put then it's had it

in the uk availability seems to vary, wiggle just got some stock in so i'm assuming it is a new batch

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I used Orange Seal in my tubs, with great success!! Both times I got a puncture, it sealed the hole, and I barely lost any pressure at all. However, the hole I got in the rear sprayed sealant all over the place until it sealed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Also been using orange seal for a few years with good success. And I've been on a bad luck streak with punctures lately!