Sealant in Tubulars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The anacodtes are not that informative. All latex sealant are inconsistent with inner tubes. Sealants for inner tubes actually have a different formulation. The sealants above are for tubeless tyres really. I only use a sealant on a tub to fix a small puncture not as a preventative measure. When I tried that success was mixed, so I carry at least on spare tub.

Also latex sealants on tubs with latex tubes are not a good idea unless you keep them inflated. If you don't your tube can stick together and that's bad for the tyre.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, that's why I didn't rely on anecdotes (like the myth about sealant only being for tubeless tires) to decide on Orange Seal. It was one of the top performers across butyl and latex tubes during this test conducted by slowtwitch in 2014.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thi ... _4155.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Anyone run this?

https://en.tune.de/produkt/equipment/on ... milch.html

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

Imaking20 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:10 pm
Yeah, that's why I didn't rely on anecdotes (like the myth about sealant only being for tubeless tires) to decide on Orange Seal. It was one of the top performers across butyl and latex tubes during this test conducted by slowtwitch in 2014.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thi ... _4155.html
the problem is with the test, they take range of pointy things, and push them through a stretchy thing...
Three puncture sizes: 1.2mm thumb tack, 1.7mm nail, and 2.2mm nail
...this is where they go wrong, the resulting hole is not the maximum diameter of the pointy thing

the stretchy tyre (and inner tube if present) will have only a tiny puncture, because the stretchy material can simply deform around the nail and then relax back when it is removed

in the real world, most of the punctures in my tubs seem to be produced by glass/similar pieces more like a blade than a pointy thing, the tyre/tube do not deform around this, they get a linear cut, this is much more challenging to seal

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Agree... But orange seal has been very successful for me in sealing those kinds of punctures on my tubulars as well.

It's easy to poke holes in any test (pun slightly intended) - but at least they made an attempt, and one that I think provided a very good baseline. In the last ~3 years of riding almost exclusively tubulars, I've not had any reservation in taking off with just a container of OS and a pump in my pocket. In that time, I've only needed to call a lifeline twice. One of those was (foolishly) riding a Veloflex Carbon on chunky gravel. The last one was glass and me accepting that I should expect a shorter life out of my Arenbergs if I'm going to play on gravel every week or two.

charirider

by charirider

Sorry for posting too late, as I understood correctly, Orange sealant is the best for tubulars.
I ride Contu Force COmp 24mm front and rear, how much sealant should I put in to prevent punctures? Is 4oz bottle will be enought for 2 tires?
Thanks for the reply!
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I carry a small bottle of Stan's (they sell it in 30ml bottles that are perfect for a jersey pocket pouch or saddle bag) and use about half if I puncture. Never use it 'just in case' - only ever if I need to.

Had a Veloflex Arenberg last another 9-months or more after doing this early in its life; and for an extra 6-months out of an FMB doing the same.

nismosr

by nismosr

I've been using Stans for years on my Tubulars with no problem ..just recently shift to Orange Seal last year so far so good ..
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Used to be a fan of Orange Seal when it was tops, years ago, but now I'll shill for Joe's Road Race sealant, thick and handles the pressure of a small tire.
Can be hard to source though.