Need quality training wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hi, I ride 150-200 miles per week on terrible Southern California pavements and would like a robust wheel that can take a large burden of my premium wheels. My current wheels are two pairs of Bora Ultra 50 clinchers and DT Swiss Spline 28mm Mon Chasseral. Looking for something lightweight, tubeless, and robust. My budget is about $1000. What do you recommend?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Training, racing... what’s the difference. Save your $1000 and use your Boras for all if it. They are very robust. Wouldn’t your training be so much more enjoyable on nice wheels. Why save ‘em for race day only.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dmp

by dmp

what Calnago said!

TonyM

by TonyM

Or buy some Bora One 35 or 50.
Much cheaper than the Ultra.

hambini

by hambini

I'd go Shimano C40/35. I have ridden them through many UK winters and they are pretty bomb proof.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

robertbb

by robertbb

Zondas, or customs.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If the roads are bad how about wide internal width rims?

/a

Multebear

by Multebear

I don't like to disagree with Calnago :roll:

But I totally get, that you just want something on your bike, that you don't have to be concered about breaking.

That said; lightweight and robust is a hard one. I would go the custom way and build something with enough spokes compared to your weight. How much do you weigh?

As others mention, you probably want somtehing wide both external and internal. The Flo30 rims are not lightweight, but they are wide, aero and very robust. Hed Belgium + are wide and robust as well. Or the Kinlin XR31T. If you build a wheelset around those rims, and with as many spokes as fit your weight, then you're doing pretty well, and you'll only have spent 1/2 or 2/3 of your budget.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kinlins are the answer. to can dent them and they are cheap to replace. the thing is they build into really nice wheels. In any case it is the tyre that protects the rim. if the tyre cant because its too small any rim will be damaged.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

The DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut 21 OXIC aluminum wheels look perfect on paper. They are light (1450 grams), tubeless, and come with a DT 240 hub. Plus they are stealth black and look terrific. They list for $1315 but sell for little over $700 on sale at Bike24.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

RyanH

by RyanH

If you had a magic pair of Bora 50s that you knew couldn't break, would you still be looking for a wheelset right now? If so, then what you're looking for is not an improvement in durability. If not, I think you're under estimating how durable most carbon rims are. I put 20k miles on a pair of Reynolds DV46's which included quite a bit of off road and never had to true them.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Boras are magic. They won’t break :) .
It’s your decision of course, but I’m curious... you say you live in an area with terrible roads so you want some different wheels. So my question then becomes unless the roads change, or you move, when are you going to ride your Boras? What are you saving them for? I still say ride ‘em, regardless of the roads. Put some bigger tires on them if need be. But I know If I had ‘em, I’d want to be riding them.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Bora can break in a pothole. It's silly to say they can't. Maybe the op has broken wheels already and simply want something that can be repaired I. E replacement rims are available.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Of course they can break, anything can break. I’m sorry if you didn’t realize that was said tongue in cheek, hence the smiley after it. Just to be clear, I don’t really believe in magic either.
But speaking of potholes... this is exactly why I said they “won’t break” (note quotes). Some years ago I had a brand new set of Bora Ultra Two (50mm) and was riding in a two abreast pace line, 2nd wheel. Well, the two up front were yakking away and didn’t call out this huge pothole till they were right above it. I went right into it and my rear wheel hit it dead on, with my 200lb ass still on the saddle fully weighted. I was sure the wheel was toast. Double snakebite pinch flat, with tubulars no less. But guess what, couldn’t find a thing wrong with the wheel, and it’s still perfectly true and going strong as the day I got them to this day. So, that’s my testimonial as to their durability. Of course, nothing is indestructible, but there’s a few reasons these are my favorite wheels at any price.

c60rider

by c60rider

What about Hunt wheels. They're fairly robust at a much cheaper price, decent 2 year warranty, wide if you need that 21mm internal I think and free worldwide shipping!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com