Disc hubs for LB 56mm ultra width rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Hey !

Figured I would do a specific post about my request
I've ordered 2 rims LB 56mm ultra wide for my aero disc bike

I care mostly about
- durability of bearings , ease of maintenance or nearly not maintenance at all
- geometry ( 15X100 and 12X142 front hub ) will use cx ray spokes and probalby some cx sprint or dt aerocomp on the free whel side to balance stifness , wont use round spokes as i am 1m88 and between 65 to 70kg
- price/weight
- after sales services if needed

I've selected 4 modeles of hubs, I won't build myself the rims, my wheelbuilder is really helpfull but conservative, I guess more opinions are better :unbelievable:
I don't mind mixing brands if necessary but won't mix J bend and Straightpull hubs tough

- DT swiss 240S J bend : price ok , weight ok , durability and bearings protection ok , geometry average ?
According to my wheelbuilder Straightpull DTswiss have worse geometry than hope straighpull
I've used the spokes simulator with the ERD of the rims but I don't know if the numbers are better or not than hope or newmen ...

- Hope RS4 Straightpull : price ok , 50 to 60 gr heavier so it's acceptable , durability and bearings protection ok
geometry compared to DTswiss 240 J bend ? Image

- Hope RS4 J Bend : same

- Newmen Centerlock Straightpull : a little bit expensiver but still ok , way lighter , play settings seems ok not too difficult and seems to last from their mtb wheels with the same kind of hub I've read , bearings and weather protection seems okay . https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/tested-newme ... -wheelset/
Geometry in pictures : Image Image

So I've the numbers but I am not sure how to translate all this in - or +
What would you do in my situation ?
Thanks !

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I recently built a set of 24/28 spoke disc wheels using DT Swiss 240s j-bend rear hub, Hope RS4 straightpull front hub, CX-Ray spokes all round with DT Squorx nipples, Light Bicycle RRU25 carbon rims. Wheels haven't been in use all that long, but zero problems with them so far, and I have other sets of wheels using DT Swiss and Hope hubs which have been completely problem free. Built-up weight, according to my kitchen scales, with tubeless rim tape but without valves installed, is 650g front wheel and 780g rear wheel (1430g total).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Hi thanks
I've had wheels in the past with straightpull DT350
Within a few months the anodisation was coming off where the spokes enters the hubs flanges

Except that nothing to complain about for the price , bearings are great ,
But if I can't get something a little bit better why not :)

Why the '' mismatch '' ?
Did you already had one of the hubs ?

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Both hubs were on sale cheap (relatively speaking). I think the parts for the whole wheelset cost me about $950 Australian. I couldn't have bought anything remotely comparable for anything like that price.