Do Bike Hanging Racks Ruin Carbon Wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do Bike Hanging Racks Ruin Carbon Wheels?

Yes
5%
No
55%
Depends
35%
Not Sure
5%

Total votes: 20

Conza

by Conza

Hi team,

I have my new dream bike (18' BMC Team Machine SLR01 One Disc). It has some DT Swiss PRC 1400 DICUT db 35 Carbon, Thru Axle (12mm) wheels. I am yet to get a dream commuter... so am riding this thing everywhere.

At work there is the standard hanging racks, kind of like the below. Except the wheels not against the wall, as the bar comes out horizontal. So the force is essentially completely vertical/down.

If that makes sense. Sometimes the spokes get a bit of tension on them.

My question — I am hanging my 7.7kg bike from the front wheel.

I am wondering if I am damaging my wheels, and so I should just park it on the ground and chain it up somewhere instead of hanging up for 8 hours a day, slowly getting warped?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or their own experiences? Or am I being paranoid?
It's all about the adventure :o .

sungod

by sungod

it's not going to warp, assuming the contact area is padded to avoid gouging the rim, simply hanging it would be ok i think

main risk is probably someone walking past or hanging/removing/rolling their bike could accidentally catch on the saddle/bars, that might create high sideways load on the rim

also, the frame might get knocked against the anchor post, no sign of padding there

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Structural carbon that spokes lace to it surely can resist the force without problem. (but may scratch if not well padded).
More concern is on those alloy wheel with carbon/plastic flimsy aero fairing. Those fairing are not strong at all.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I have 3 of these and recommend them.
https://www.amazon.com/Steadyrack-Class ... ng&sr=8-28

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Yes, you are being paranoid.

Don’t hang a bike with the hook on a spoke if it keeps you up at night. Otherwise, remember that your carbon rims can handle your body weight hitting things at speed. And that a 8kg bike, at rest, is nothing compared to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Yeah, as Hexsense said, it should only really be a concern on wheels like the Hed Jet that have an aluminum rim with which the spokes engage, and a very thin essentially non-structural carbon fairing. Those specifically warn against hanging.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TheKaiser wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:18 pm
Yeah, as Hexsense said, it should only really be a concern on wheels like the Hed Jet that have an aluminum rim with which the spokes engage, and a very thin essentially non-structural carbon fairing. Those specifically warn against hanging.
That's exactly where I was going to go with my post. If the carbon is structural (like Zipp, ENVE, etc.), then you have nothing to worry about (I've been using an identical mounting system for 7 years and no damage to either my carbon or aluminum rims). If, however, the carbon is just a "fairing", (a thin, non-structural carbon cover), then I would advise against it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com