Popular hubs around here

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Fellas I might be looking at getting new hubs if my axles are stuck for good. Will hammer at the axle until it breaks free or breaks

This is a good opportunity to provide input on what are some good hubs

Consider the factors, aesthetics lacing them to Reynolds assault tubulars.

Durability, lightweight, stiffness.

Also, what are your choice of spokes?

I’m looking at American classic right now because it seems lightweight for the price and it’s a good brand. But somehow it feels like the formula hubs of road hubs, just a little cheap looking. My second choice would be extralite.

Between white industries and ck id go with white industries.

Dt240s are too generic for me.

otoman

by otoman

Sounds like new hubs are in order!

White Industries have served me very well over the years. As others have noted, they are stiffer than DT240's. DT's are uber servicable and widely available (aka, generic haha). WI's would give you the durability and stiffness you seek, not quite as light as some of your other considerations.

American Classics are notoriously un-reliable, if I recall correctly.

That all being said, it is easy to drop mucho cash on hubs, when at the end of the day you would notice no difference riding the highest end with some basic Bitex or similar hubs. Given that you have gotten to the point of hammering at an axle, I would assume your attention to hub maintenance is a lesser priority for you. Of all your suggested options, WI's might strike the best balance of serviceability, durability, reasonable cost yet with some bling options while not being total bricks.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Industry Nine Torch hubs tick all your needs also.

Louis :)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I think it depends on your weight and how maintenance free they need to be.

Sounds like you want exotic stiff lightweight low maintenance hubs that arent too expensive. Could you order these qualities by importance please. :D

Tell us your weight and what your old hubs were and how many km you got out of them?

If extralite is too fragile then maybe carbon-ti? They seem to add that little bit extra durability some people like. Chris King are supposed to last forever, don't they? Just annoying with the proprietary bearing standard.

Cheers /a

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

The hubs I was replacing are stock hubs that came on 2014 reynolds assault slg's. The previous owner didn't take care of the hubs and both front and rear needed new bearings. I thought I would have to replace the hubs but my LBS managed to knock the bearings out, but damaged the front axle. Now I'm just waiting to call reynolds and get that replacement axle. This whole process of ordering and working on the bearings took the LBS a good 15 days, now with the ordering and install I'm looking at another week of not having my wheels :oops: :roll: :smartass:

But back to the original question,

Durability and sturdyness first, and weight a close second. The ideal hub would be a nice "lightweight" (sub 300g) which also won't crap out on me or feel like I'm riding on noodles

Attermann

by Attermann

15 days?!! i think it took me an hour.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

When you write 300gr do you mean both hubs or just the rear hub?

LBS must have had some bad luck.

/a

silvalis

by silvalis

WI T11 don’t have that great weather sealing if it matters to you
Chasse patate

WinterRider

by WinterRider

silvalis wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:51 pm
WI T11 don’t have that great weather sealing if it matters to you
Read that somewhere else also. Curious to hear what is viewed as good sealing hubs in the low weight level.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Their original quote was one hour. I think it was some bad luck with availability of bearings which took a week to arrive by post.

Then there was trouble with the bearings being seized. They said they hammered so hard on the front axle with Allen key attached that the threads for the end caps on the front are unusable. The last I checked there were no threads near where the Allen key fits. They must mean the ledges for the Allen itself but either way this shop has been anything but transparent with me. Best I can do while maintaining any relationship with them is overnight ship an axle from Reynolds.

Sub 300g for the set would be light, I think the extralite were 250g which is a good weight. The heavier WI were 330 along with dt240s.

I’m looking for a stiff, long lasting, light hub

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Extralites are 176gr for the pair, Carbon-ti 220gr for the pair, dt240s sp 312gr

One thing that surprised me looking at the conversion table of my spoke tensionometer is that out of the common bladed spokes cx-ray/pillar1420/cnspoke424 the 424's were the ones with least amount of measured deflection for a given tension. I kind of like that. Means they feel solid and no movement.

I've only built a few wheelsets so far so I wouldn't call myself experienced.

/a

silvalis

by silvalis

WinterRider wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Read that somewhere else also. Curious to hear what is viewed as good sealing hubs in the low weight level.
My bearings started to seize after 3-4 very wet rides in a row. The shop told me dt240s would have been a better choice for sealing than T11's.

T11's aren't that light in the grand scheme of things either. A bit lighter than CK's, but that's about it.
Chasse patate

L3X

by L3X

My experience with various Tune hubs are great in all weather conditions. I use multiple sets on road/MTB in all weather conditions and never have any issues.

Granted you do have to open them up every now and then and check the pawls for wear... but that's about it.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

I feel like we've been responsible for a lot of the "the weakness of WI hubs is their weather sealing" sentiment on the internet. And it's true that they traditionally have been somewhat lacking in that regard. However, the bearing itself is its own best seal against weather and WI made changes to their bearings that are a significant upgrade to their weather resistance. Their old bearing spec was 2RS seals with an (in my opinion) inadequate grease fill. Their new bearing spec is a full contact seal on the outboard facing side of the bearing, with a non-contact seal on the inboard facing side of the bearing, with a 100% grease fill. While I am certain that you could measure some infinitessimal amount of resistance that this causes if you had a perfect lab test rig, in reality the overall amount of increased resistance is some small fraction of a watt, while bearing longevity and overall performance are significantly increased.

I rode a set of "new bearing" WI hubs through more than axle deep muddy water not long ago, absolutely certain that the bearings would be fried afterward. This was in the middle of a 65 +/- mile ride that had plenty of other mud to challenge the bearings. This kind of ride used to be a certified WI bearing killer. This time? I haven't opened the hubs yet with about 700 miles of riding since that day and the bearings are as smooth as glass.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Ok they changed bearings
But bearings are still more exposed than on some others hubs right ?