tune schwarzbrenner any opinions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woogie11

by woogie11

Specifically the 38mm clincher version. There doesn't seem to be much feedback or reviews popping up here, or on Google. I'd specifically like to hear about how they are tubeless and in the wind. Thanks for any replies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

logy

by logy

Hi

I have some and that are very good. Not tried tubeless but great in the wind. Better than my Zipp 303.

May be tempted to sell as I want some Meilensteins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beaver

by Beaver

Rim or disc brake? The rb version still uses a basalt coating, which won't last long and can delaminate.

woogie11

by woogie11

Beaver wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:55 am
Rim or disc brake? The rb version still uses a basalt coating, which won't last long and can delaminate.
Thanks for the reply. I would be getting the rim brake version. Are you sure they're basalt based? Do you know if they're basalt coated? Or, is the basalt interwoven? I believe that can make a difference.

I've been emailing with Tune a bit, they have a new 45mm wheel coming out in October that uses a non-textured braking surface. For what it's worth, Tune says the textured brake surface wear is excellent and that premature brake-pad wear was their issue and reason for the change.

Beaver

by Beaver

They don't have a woven brake track (that picture is really large, right click and have look at it):

I would wait for the new model or look elsewhere. A custom build with chinese rims, Tune hubs and CX-Ray would also be cheaper and you could have a wider rim with woven a brake track, e.g.: https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html

woogie11

by woogie11

Beaver wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:09 pm
They don't have a woven brake track (that picture is really large, right click and have look at it):

I would wait for the new model or look elsewhere. A custom build with chinese rims, Tune hubs and CX-Ray would also be cheaper and you could have a wider rim with woven a brake track, e.g.: https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html
Thanks for the info. I don't think I quite have the eye to spot basalt on a brake surface, haha, but, I know you know yours stuff. I asked Tune in my latest email, I'll update if they tell me something different. If not, I'll probably go for the ENVE 3.4 rims.

ducman

by ducman

So, whats the consensus on these? Id like to buy them for using in mountainius long rides.... are the better alternatives to choose? (Rimbrake, clincher)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

ducman wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:49 am
So, whats the consensus on these? Id like to buy them for using in mountainius long rides.... are the better alternatives to choose? (Rimbrake, clincher)
Tubular would be the consensus for long montainus rides. Aside from that maybe for those rides Mavic R-sys? but that's alloy but light.