Enve 4.5 stiffness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

So about 1,5 years ago I bought a set of Enve 4.5 SES with the Enve carbon hubs. After half a year the rear started breaking spokes. I think I broke 2 spokes within a short time frame, and decided to have the entire wheel respoked with some DT Swiss spokes instead. Finally got the wheel back, rode for two weeks and then broke a spoke in the front wheel. Deciding that it probably would have a similar story as the rear I turned it in to my LBS to have that respoked as well.

I've never been overly impressed with the stifness of these wheels, and from what I've read it's a common issue with the Enve carbon hubs. So I'll see if the new spokes will improve stiffness, but if not, I'll either let them go and buy a different set of wheels, or change the hubs. If I choose the latter, which I hope to do as I like the brake track and lightness of the rim, which hub should I look into? I'm just above 80 kgs, and a sprinter.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've broke a front spoke (NDS).. but extralite hubs... have Enve on 2.2 and 7.8 so far ok.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

audiojan

by audiojan

I have a pair of SES 4.5 built with DT Swiss 240 hubs. They do flex (found that replacing the ENVE skewer with Campy skewers made a big difference!), but I haven't broken spokes (yet at least). I'm a bit lighter than you (although not by much) and used to be a sprinter when I was younger (still pack somewhat of a punch).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

ergott

by ergott

White Industries and Industry Nine would both improve on DT for stiffness. Also, DT Aero Comps or Sapim CX-Sprint would help. I know round spokes might sound counter-productive, but for the rear wheel, use Sapim Race or DT Competition spokes. It's dirty air back there anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Two local guys recently have had similar issues. Both are less than 65kg. I think both are on Enve 4.5. One of the guys had it happen, sent it in to Enve and then again when he got it back. Not sure what hubs they're using but strange, no?

Stueys

by Stueys

I ride 4.5 on CK hubs, 78kg rider. Nice stiff build on mine, had for coming up on 3 years with no issues, not even trued the wheels.

audiojan

by audiojan

I switched to the v2 of the ENVE skewers and it solved the front wheel flex. The rear is much improved, but I still have some flex during power climbs and sprints (used to be a sprinter and I still pack some power, at least for short bursts), just enough for the brake pads to rub. I'm going to look into getting the rear wheel relaced with DT Swiss Competition spokes, which I understand from ENVE would completely solve the flex, but it will add a few grams.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

nycebo

by nycebo

I have the original Enve 3.4 Disc wheels and the rotor rubbed mercilessly when I sprinted or climbed hills. Made me crazy. Switching to Audiojan's recommendation of DT Swiss Competition spoks is an interesting idea.

Delorre

by Delorre

nycebo wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:13 pm
I have the original Enve 3.4 Disc wheels and the rotor rubbed mercilessly when I sprinted or climbed hills. Made me crazy. Switching to Audiojan's recommendation of DT Swiss Competition spoks is an interesting idea.
Other spokes will do nothing against rotor rub :? Rotor rub is more hub related

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

my 4.5 have comp spokes on the drive side... dont rub
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

C36

by C36

nycebo wrote:I have the original Enve 3.4 Disc wheels and the rotor rubbed mercilessly when I sprinted or climbed hills. Made me crazy. Switching to Audiojan's recommendation of DT Swiss Competition spoks is an interesting idea.
Rotor rub ? How does this has something to do with the spokes? Shouldn’t this be a combo of hubs / frame interaction (or an alignment problem somewhere)?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

C36

by C36

spdntrxi wrote:my 4.5 have comp spokes on the drive side... dont rub
Don’t have enough experience on discs since I only used them in a single frame but if it’s like the brake track rub, it has everything to do with the wheels frame interaction (and often more to do with the frame than the wheel).
Not a ure we can extrapolate that you don’t have disc rub due to spokes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

C36 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 am
spdntrxi wrote:my 4.5 have comp spokes on the drive side... dont rub
Don’t have enough experience on discs since I only used them in a single frame but if it’s like the brake track rub, it has everything to do with the wheels frame interaction (and often more to do with the frame than the wheel).
Not a ure we can extrapolate that you don’t have disc rub due to spokes.

I'm still on rim brake.. I have used these wheels on Parlee Z5i and Parlee Z-Zero and BMC TM01 (2014')
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault