Thinking of building up some new hotness...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woogie11

by woogie11

Hey guys. I'm considering putting together a new wheel set and I'd super appreciate any info or advice. Before I get into my ideas, I should preface it with my current wheels and situation. I'm currently on HED Ardeness Black, which I like immensely. There isn't honestly anything I dislike about them, this is more of just wanting to try something "higher performance" or, different.

I recently moved to Wellington NZ, which is apparently the "windiest" city in the world. I live outside the city, which is much better than actually being in it. I don't ride in the city anyways but, needless to say, there is some decent wind here.

Also, "I know a guy," so I can EP everything, which, IMO, means cost/benefit is less of an issue.

Unless I'm convinced otherwise, I am thinking of building up wheels piece by piece. I know aero gains are overstated but, part of why I'm thinking of going in this direction is, I road bike like a mountain biker, which means I tend to go up so, I can go down. At higher speeds, aero gains seem to be more tangible. I'm in NZ hills and occasionally mountains, delamination isn't something I'm concerned about. Currently, I am thinking of:

Rims: ENVE 3.4 20/24
Hubs: Tune 170/70, or Industry 9-classic
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray

The only thing I'm really set on are the spokes.

Regarding rim choice, I think 40mm would be my max depth, I run tubeless tires only and I want good rim-braking. The Enve 3.4 seem to check all the boxes.

Hubs: the geometry on both seem to be good with good flange height as well. I'm not an expert, so I encourage you to tell me if I'm wrong :)

Does this seem like a good idea? Anything else I should consider? Would one hub-set build a better wheel than the other? I know this was long, so thanks to any of the heroes that made it through and reply :)

*Rider weight 170 lbs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Rims: Enve are the best rims on the market IMO. So if you can afford them and are willing to spend the $$, then go ahead. There will be several options, where you're going 99 % of the way and spend 20-50 % of the $$.

Hubs: The sweet spot of hubs weight wise are DT 240s (210 grams rear, 100 grams front). CK R45 are about the same weight. If you go below that weight, there will be sacrifices like poorer sealing, bearingsize, number of bearings, smaller axle, lighter freehub body. I don't see any need to go lighter than DT 240. It's not even rotating weight. You might as well lighten your saddle or handlebars if weight reduction is what you're looking for. This rules out the Tune hubs. I'm not familiar with the Industry 9 hubs. But if I where you, I'd stick with the classis four well proven hubs like DT240, Dura Ace, CK R45 or WI T11. I have all four and you can't go wrong with either of them. The WI and Dura Ace are my favorites because of the titanium freehub body.

Spokes are top of the line. But you might take a look at the DT Aerolite as well.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Are you building yourself or are you talking to Wheelworks in Lyall Bay? They are good sorts and know their stuff. Sounds like you're the envy of Wellington cyclists. :beerchug:
Less is more.

woogie11

by woogie11

Multebear wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Hubs: The sweet spot of hubs weight wise are DT 240s (210 grams rear, 100 grams front). CK R45 are about the same weight. If you go below that weight, there will be sacrifices like poorer sealing, bearingsize, number of bearings, smaller axle, lighter freehub body. I don't see any need to go lighter than DT 240. It's not even rotating weight. You might as well lighten your saddle or handlebars if weight reduction is what you're looking for. This rules out the Tune hubs. I'm not familiar with the Industry 9 hubs. But if I where you, I'd stick with the classis four well proven hubs like DT240, Dura Ace, CK R45 or WI T11. I have all four and you can't go wrong with either of them. The WI and Dura Ace are my favorites because of the titanium freehub body.

Thanks for the reply. From what I've seen and read, bar some occasional QC problems, the Tune hubs don't appear to have issues, or to be under-built in the manner you're describing. Unless I am missing something?

And RE the weight, I know it's non-rotational but, this is weight weenies. I want my 100 grams :)

woogie11

by woogie11

shimmeD wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 pm
Are you building yourself or are you talking to Wheelworks in Lyall Bay? They are good sorts and know their stuff. Sounds like you're the envy of Wellington cyclists. :beerchug:
Hey! I've been meaning to stop by and check that place out. I've driven/ridden by them several times.

I haven't built straight-pull before, or a internal nipple design, so I would probably have a buddy do it for me. And maybe have those guys check it out before I have too much fun :)

And surely you mean, I would be the "ENVE... of Wellington cyclists" ;)

One of my favorite thing about cycling in NZ so far, is that I haven't seen another Storck around, so I always tell my buddies back home "I'm the fastest Storck rider in the country.." :)