Gravel wheels dilemma

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which wheels for gravel?

Bontrager Paradigm Elite TLR Disc Road Wheels
67%
Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 TLR Disc Road Wheels
33%

Total votes: 3

plpete

by plpete

I'm in the process of building up a Trek Boone (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=152643) for some fun longer gravel riding, light trail riding and maybe trying a cross race...maybe. With that I have narrowed down my wheel choice to two wheelsets. A team I'm on is sponsored by Trek so I can get both sets at a decent price. Having trouble deciding between the new Aeolus Pro 3 TLR Disc wheels or Paradigm Elite TLR Disc set. The tires I plan to use are the new Challange Gravel Grinder Pro in 36mm width.

With the Paradigm Elite TLR Disc set I'm saving about 80 grams overall, $150 bucks in my pocket and I get hubs with DT Swiss internals. The rim in alloy and like the Aelous Pro 3 has a 19.5 internal rim width.

Aeolus Pro 3 TLR set will give me a carbon rim and arguably will look a bit better. The hubs are standard Bontager set with a 3-pawl set up in the rear. I have this set in rim brake version and have been happy with them overall.

What do you guys think? Will a carbon rim be more comfortable? Does the extra rim height matter? Should I choose a better hub set? Both wheels are 24f / 24r for the build. I feel like I want to pull the trigger on the Paradigm set but have some hesitation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I would get the aluminum rims with better hubs. Carbon rims are more easily broken riding off road. You won't be getting any aero advantage with not very tall carbon rims and gravel tires.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

AJS914 wrote:I would get the aluminum rims with better hubs. Carbon rims are more easily broken riding off road. You won't be getting any aero advantage with not very tall carbon rims and gravel tires.
Knock on wood, but I’ve been riding $200 Chinese carbon XC rims in pro XC races for the last couple of years. No problems.

I realize “gravel” has many meanings, but personally, my gravel bike will only by rolling on carbon rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savechief

by savechief

AJS914 wrote:Carbon rims are more easily broken riding off road.
At what point do you think aluminum rims would have failed?

https://youtu.be/VfjjiHGuHoc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't see how that video is relevant. He can get a lighter weight aluminum wheelset with better hubs for less money. The only advantage for carbon posted is that they look cool.

Here's my cracked Zipp 303. It's an expensive repair.
zipp303cracked.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

I do like the idea of carbon wheels and I'm not too concerned with cracking them. With a bigger 36c tire you'd have to hit something really hard and at an angle to cause damage.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Paradigm set with the better hubs....