Disc Hub Selection for a Laterally Stiff Wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

I was reviewing the Tour test from 10/2017 and noticed how all of the disc wheels were significantly less laterally stiff than their rim brake counterparts, particularly the front wheel. The Zipp 303s for example are 55Nm for the rim brake version and 33Nm for the disc version. I couldn't even find a rim brake wheel with that little stiffness in their tests.

What hubs will produce the stiffest front wheel with a 45-55mm deep carbon rim? The Tune KingKong seems to have the highest flange diameter and widest flange spacing.

Here are three contenders but I'd consider a non-WW hub if it has superior geometry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Industry 9 has some good flange spacing, especially for the front.

joejack951

by joejack951

Why are you so concerned about lateral stiffness? You won't get brake rub from it.

And wouldn't using an offset rim like McFK help mitigate some of the bracing losses from the disc mount-induced asymmetry?

RyanH

by RyanH

Maybe I'm misguided in my reasoning but from my experience with wheels under 30mm deep, I dislike the slight noodly feeling they have when sprinting or with my weight over the front wheel on a steep incline. I assume that is due to lateral stiffness. Lightweights, Boras, Mavic CCU, Reynolds 46 etc all feel nice and responsive in sprints and up steep hills. Reynolds 32, Enve 25, Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon not so much.

Also, brake rub is usually due to a rim that is stiffer than the relative spoke stiffness.

C36

by C36

joejack951 wrote:Why are you so concerned about lateral stiffness? You won't get brake rub from it.
Brake rub has nothing to do with the stiffness you care for performance. First it’s “180deg” away from the ground where you look for the stiffness and second it’s a combination of wheel and frame, often the frame having more impact on the rub than the wheel.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk