Campagnolo Wheelsets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kytyree

by kytyree

Stelbel used the 50 for the pictures of that bike on their website...

I thought I might be better off with the 35's but in the end I went with the 50's, they're not that much deeper after all. The 50 to me is just a more useful all around wheel, I live in the US city with the highest average peak winds and they ride just fine to me.

Either way they'll both look great and I'm sure the 35's are just as fun to ride as the 50's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

35's are only fractionally less aero than the 50's according to the Tour Mag data. But they will be more comfortable to ride, should be just as stiff (unless you're really, really heavy or really, really powerful), the rims are also marginally lighter and so should feel more reactive.

Boshk

by Boshk

KaiLingMan64 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 am
Campagnolo Bora One 35 or 50 for Stelbel Antenore?

Can't justify the additional cost of the Bora Ultra.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Depending on where you live, Bora One Ultra 35s are on sale for about 10% more than the price of 2018 Bora One 35s.
It isn't the new AC3 thing for braking area though, basically previous version., clinchers too

Also how windy is your area, 50s won't be very good in strong crosswinds

c60rider

by c60rider

I think it also depends on the size of the bike which wheelset looks best but that's totally down to personal preference. I initially got 35s for my 52s C60 and immediately knew they looked rubbish (for me) so got the 50s. But you see some of the pros riding 50 rear 35 front on hilly races psychologically I couldn't cope knowing I had mismatched wheels :lol:

MJB

by MJB

I've owned and ridden both Bora One 35 and 50 tubulars in the wider rim model.

I've also owned and ridden a dozen other high end carbon wheelsets of various profile depths.

Where I live it's windy for a lot of the time - this can't be avoided, if I want to ride I just have to put up with the wind. I very much dislike my front end being pushed by crosswinds, I'm a pleasure rider who likes to maintain some aerobic fitness ie I'm not a pro, I'm not getting paid to ride - I just want to clip in and enjoy the ride. I do not want to be thinking about how my front end is pushing.

Both are comfortable wheelsets allowing for my low-ish pressure settings. The 35 feels as stiff as the 50 to me given identical tyres.

I sold my Bora One 50 and have been on the Bora One 35 for the past 3 years. They simply do not catch the wind like the 50 does.

The above is a practical choice, however, I do like the visual proportions of a 50-ish depth profile wheelset on modern framesets - shallower on older frames - my subjective choice.

Get the dark label model!

jellytots

by jellytots

Get the Ones instead of the Ultras unless you have $$ burning a hole in your pocket.

Same rim, same spokes, only the hub bearings are different and the Ultra weighs 40g less.

What I like about the Boras are that they don't require rimtape - so that wheel weight you see all other clincher manufacturers quoting aren't accurate unless you add the weight of the rim tape per wheel.

The Bora One 50s I have are stiff enough for me, although some say the 35s are actually stiffer :noidea:

kytyree

by kytyree

First world problems right?

I considered them both, and think I would have been happy either way. I haven't ridden the 35's ever but I don't regret getting the 50's at all.

And I'm a fan of the dark label too, if your bike matches the brights I get it but still, the dark labels can be used with just about any frame.

I have the Ones and I think compared to other wheels right now they are a great deal. I'd be hard pressed to beat what I paid for my Bora's if I was shopping at light bicycle for a wheelset for example. The Ultras and the carbon shell are of course beautiful, but I've seen the Ones on a few bikes at the Tour, look on top of the cars, it's easier to spot when they aren't spinning.

robertbb

by robertbb

Boshk wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am
KaiLingMan64 wrote:

Depending on where you live, Bora One Ultra 35s are on sale for about 10% more than the price of 2018 Bora One 35s.
It isn't the new AC3 thing for braking area though, basically previous version., clinchers too

Can you PM me any links? I can't seem to find them on sale...

jellytots

by jellytots

Boshk wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am
KaiLingMan64 wrote:

Don't worry about the older non-AC3 brake track - it's of no real improvement over the previous diamante version. Other than that AC3 hype, it's the same identical wheel from the previous version.

wintershade

by wintershade

I have Bright Label Bora One 50s. TBH, I kind of regret getting the 50s and definitely regret not splurging for the Ultras. I will probably put Ultra 35's on my next bike, or simply buy a second set should I ever find them on deep enough discount and keep whichever I prefer.

The 50s look better but I find them a pain to handle in some high wind situtations. My long Saturday rides pretty much end with me feeling like I'm going to blow off the Golden Gate Bridge as I cross it on my way home from Marin. On most afternoons I dread that last stretch home.

I do like the bright label though, but would like it more if it said Ultra in Red rather than One. My bike is black with red accents, so the bright label really works. I do agree that the dark label is more versatile however.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com