Why are deep section wheel less responsive even if lighter ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Theologian

by Theologian

Xywei wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 pm
You need high engagement hubs
+1 here. Just out of curiosity, are the rear hubs on the two wheelsets different? It may not be the answer, but it's good to rule something as simple as hub engagement out before considering other factors. Just a few degrees of difference in engagement makes a perceptible difference.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

I have ordered Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm tubs. Lets see if that changes things.
Yes, I bought it used but here in Singapore wheels are hardly beaten around. Very good flat roads around.
Anyway, I will get the spoke tension checked when I fit the Vittoria tires.

Another thing I notice is, the Bora One 50 with the Michelin 23mm tires have a much harsher ride quality than the Zonda/4000 s2 combination. It is sometimes jarring. After a 100km ride I feel lot more fatigued with the Bora wheelset than I used to with the Zonda and also the back side hurts much more. Tire pressure I always apply at 100 psi for both front and rear. Does that indicate anything ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

It depends...How much do you weigh?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Different tyres will sort this and experiment with pressures. Asking for advise on pressures will get you different answers and different tyres respond to differing pressures differently. So simply experiment by changing one variable at a time till you find what you like.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

I weigh 69kgs

WinterRider

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am
this thread is full of suvjective vaugeness. The OP handle allabout feel says it all - I am going to pass a judgement here the OP is conflating many things and puting it down to the wheels.
:thumbup:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

WinterRider wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:57 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am
this thread is full of suvjective vaugeness. The OP handle allabout feel says it all - I am going to pass a judgement here the OP is conflating many things and puting it down to the wheels.
:thumbup:
The only thing I changed are my wheelset and tires..so what else should I point out to ?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

there you go you changed the wheelset and the tyres. thats two things at once possibly three if the pressure where different.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

I didnt expect a decent tire like Michelin Pro4 tub could make a $3k wheelset perform poorer than a $500 wheelset. But anyway I am going to put a Corsa G+ 25mm this week and see how it goes. Tire pressure I always apply 100 psi in all cases.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well that can be the case but also not all tyres like the same pressure.

Toby

by Toby

Don't Conti tubs come with butyl tubes inside, while everyone else (including Michelin) uses latex? Wouldn't that cause the effect you're describing?

Alumen

by Alumen

Just some random thinking at my side, so forgive my ignorance...

What about the rotational weight of the Bora's vs Zonda's ? I can imagine that the Bora weight savings are mainly at the hub, not the rims...
TS, you are recreational rider, how do you rate your power output in watt ? I can imagine the racers here don't notice the rotational extra weight to much since they produce more power output. Especially when accelerating...

Second thought is tyre pressure ? My experience is that 23mm tyres are more responsive compared with 25mm ones (at the same pressure, typically you run 25mm on lower pressure, so less responsive).
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

WinterRider

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:31 pm
Well that can be the case but also not all tyres like the same pressure.
An understatement... :up:

Riding my 'new' tubeless setup this morn to stretch the legs.. did the 60/80 psi top off.. a mite harsher than my S Pro Ones ride. Reset the Continental Ultra lls at 50/70... very noticeable difference. Tires mounted on same rims.. Kinlin 200.
Ultra is scant under 24mm mounted being 25 model.. S Pro One is 25 both ways.

Previously recounted rollout data incorporated 60/80 for both.. the S One's only going around 20' farther for the ~.44 mi distance. 50/70 level is going to get compared soon. Windy mornings negates testing.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

ergott

by ergott

A good day on 2kg wheels will feel better than a bad day on $3k Lightweights.

This is all subjective and there are no conclusions to be made based on the evidence given.

TonyM

by TonyM

ergott wrote:A good day on 2kg wheels will feel better than a bad day on $3k Lightweights.

(...)
So true! ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com