Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4 TLR Disc Clincher Road Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gbrown

by gbrown

I finally took delivery of my Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4 TLR Disc Clincher Road Wheels yesterday, just had a chance to weigh them and get a tubeless tyre on the front wheel.

Very close to claimed weights, the front was 673g, actually 2g less than claimed, and the rear 792g, 12g more than claimed, so total 1,465g, just 10g more than claimed.

The laser etched decals are very nice, compared to the stick on ones on my Aeolus 3's. I forgot to measure the rim widths, I'll do that on the rear wheel before putting the tyre on.

Came with rim tapes and TLR strips, tubeless valves and core removers, rear spoke protector and manuals. The TLR strips weigh 62g each and the valves just 6g each.

The brand new Schwalbe Pro One Evo tubeless tyre (25c) was a little tricky to get on the front wheel, but I managed it without levers so not too bad I suppose (I've not got the strongest thumbs)! I'm leaving it overnight to see how well it holds air without sealant before adding some Bontrager TLR sealant. So far so good, pumped up without drama to 110 psi for testing. Road tubeless is definitely getting easier.

I have to put on the disk rotors and cassette before I can try them out, I'm switching to a 140mm rear rotor so will have to remove the rear caliper and refit without the 160mm mount.

Geoff

Edit: 25mm tyres are exactly 29mm mounted, internal rim width measured 21.12mm and external width 27.37mm.
IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG
Last edited by gbrown on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delorre

by Delorre

Nice, and glad for you, the wheels are within spec for weight. Bike Rumor had a XXX 4 wheelset that was almost 100gr more than claimed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gbrown

by gbrown

Delorre wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:57 am
Nice, and glad for you, the wheels are within spec for weight. Bike Rumor had a XXX 4 wheelset that was almost 100gr more than claimed!
Thanks, perhaps Bike Rumour included the weight of the rim tape or rim strips?

It's not easy to compare when some wheels (Shimano) come with tubeless ready rims, some with rim tape already installed and the Bontrager with neither. The TLR rim strips add a surprising amount of weight for a bit of thin plastic, but at least the quoted weights aren't deliberate fantasy!

The front tubeless ready tyre held air overnight without any sealant, so a big improvement on tubeless setups 3-4 years ago, when my Bontrager tyres were porous and air just streamed out of the side walls!

Geoff

Beaver

by Beaver

"This is the bare wheel weight without any components or accessories."

https://bikerumor.com/2018/03/30/bontra ... xx-wheels/

gbrown

by gbrown

Beaver wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:27 am
"This is the bare wheel weight without any components or accessories."

https://bikerumor.com/2018/03/30/bontra ... xx-wheels/
Not so good then. :(

The article quotes 750g claimed for the rear but Trek's web site says 770g for the Rear Rim Brake Clincher, so a 40g over weight for both wheels.

I'd be a bit upset with an 80g (5.7%) overweight on wheelset, so pleased to have just -2g and +12g (0.7%) on the Disc Clinchers. :thumbup:

Geoff