Rim selection for disc brakes and 28mm tire

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1llum4

by 1llum4

Hello,

I am looking into building a custom handbuilt disc brake wheelset this autumn and have trouble finding the perfect rim candidate.
I am mostly riding flat terrains, I rarely go over 1000m of elevation gains during a ride. Mostly looking for a good aero wheelset.

Here are my criterias:
Depth: minimum 45mm/maximum 65mm
Internal width: minimum 21mm and if I am understanding correctly for 28mm labeled tires, I should be looking more for 23mm width to maintain good aerodynamics of the tire/wheelset combo.
External width: minimum 28mm and more likely looking at 30mm
As said earlier, the rims must be for disc brakes and if possible tubeless ready
Weight is gonna be the deciding factor if I am hesitating between 2+ choices but the others criterias are more important for me.

At the moment, I only found 2 rims that would fit most of my criteria:

Enve 4.5 AR rims at 440/450g and 31mm/25mm width
Light bicycles RR56C02 rims at 460g and 30mm/23mm width

Venn 507 TCD rims at 485g and 28mm/21mm width are a valid option, thanks MayhemSWE

The FSE EVO carbon gravel rims could fit most of my criteria at 415g and 30mm/24mm width but they are bit too shallow for my liking at 40mm depth.

Are there any other rims that could fit my criterias ?
Last edited by 1llum4 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Roval CLX 50 are pretty close to your requirements. They have a 20.7mm int width and 29.4mm ext width. Tubeless rdy, and there's a disc brake version available.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

swright

by swright

What's the intention behind going full custom as opposed to a good stock wheelset? Do you have a favored freehub that you're trying to fit? I have found matching freehub spoke count and rim spoke count can sometimes be a hassle, especially for lower spoke-count or exotic (Rolf, Campy) configurations.

The Campagnolo Bora One 50 disc brake tubular wheelset, weight 1348g, works with 28mm tubulars (more weight savings :D, added cost :cry:). Specs at: https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels ... disc_brake. The clincher version adds 135g, but with a stated rim section of 24.2 mm, sounds like it is meant for 25mm tyres.

The Zipp 454 NSW disc wheelset, weight 1525g, is reputed to be 28mm compatible and tubeless-ready.

What's the groupset and finishing kit on your bike?

cheers,
Scott
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

1llum4

by 1llum4

No stock wheelset come with pillar aero rainbow spoke and tlc oil slick brass nipple. I also prefer DT Swiss hubs with j-bend spoke.

I want to build a custom wheelset as I prefer the accomplishment of riding a wheelset I built myself.

The roval clx 50 rims would fit the bill but unless you work for specialized I don't think it's possible to acquire the rims only.

Zipp rim weight are absurdly heavy for their depth and the Campagnolo Bora are too narrow for my liking.

swright

by swright

1llum4 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:19 pm
No stock wheelset come with pillar aero rainbow spoke and tlc oil slick brass nipple. I also prefer DT Swiss hubs with j-bend spoke.

I want to build a custom wheelset as I prefer the accomplishment of riding a wheelset I built myself.

The roval clx 50 rims would fit the bill but unless you work for specialized I don't think it's possible to acquire the rims only.

Zipp rim weight are absurdly heavy for their depth and the Campagnolo Bora are too narrow for my liking.
@1llum4,

Ah, you're building the wheelset yourself entirely and choosing each component to suit -- I understand.

How about these 44mm carbon rims from Boyd Cycling: https://www.boydcycling.com/shop/custom ... brake-rim/? 465g and 19mm inner/27mm outer rim width (if you're set on 28mm, probably that's still too narrow for you). Available in both 24 & 28 spoke count.

They also have 28mm and 60mm rim depth versions.

Just trying to be helpful. :)

cheers,
Scott
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

1llum4

by 1llum4

I want at least 21mm internal width rims. So Boyd rims are out of the running.

emotive

by emotive

The only other rims close to your spec are the 55mm deep, 30mm wide, 22C inner Yishun ASD rims, but some of their images show a square kammtail design I'm not sold on.

http://www.yishunbike.com/700c-asd-road ... m_p61.html

I'm in the same boat, I ride 28mm tyres, on 28mm wide RR36C02 rims, but I'm really after something at 32mm wide to better transition from the 30mm measured width of the tyres. If you aren't in a hurry, wait two months, there are some wider rim models due for release around then.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I'd say 23mm internal width is too wide for a 28mm tyre - you're creating a possible safety hazard, in that the bead may not seat properly on the bead seat because the rim walls are too far apart. Mavic publish this chart on their web site from the ETRTO manual, showing what combination of tyre and rim width combinations are considered safe:

Jugi

by Jugi

NickJHP wrote:I'd say 23mm internal width is too wide for a 28mm tyre - you're creating a possible safety hazard, in that the bead may not seat properly on the bead seat because the rim walls are too far apart. Mavic publish this chart on their web site from the ETRTO manual, showing what combination of tyre and rim width combinations are considered safe:
Can you provide a technical explanation for why the bead would not sit on the rim as supposed? If one looks at the MTB realm of modern rims and tires, it is quickly apparent that the ETRTO manual's chart is due for an update. In my opinion it does not take into account the dimensions and materials used in modern tubeless applications.

However there is no doubt that perfectly "safe" combinations can be put together by following the ETRTO manual, with considerable margins for even the most extraordinary usage.

Beaver

by Beaver

NickJHP wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 am
I'd say 23mm internal width is too wide for a 28mm tyre - you're creating a possible safety hazard, in that the bead may not seat properly on the bead seat because the rim walls are too far apart. Mavic publish this chart on their web site from the ETRTO manual, showing what combination of tyre and rim width combinations are considered safe:

No, it's not. ;) That list is outdated and will be updated soon. Mavic itself is selling 19mm inner width with 25mm tires now:

https://shop.mavic.com/de-de/cosmic-ult ... #1028=3283

Stick with tire width minus 2mm for the inner width and you are on the safe side. I run 25mm tires on 21mm inner width for more than a year now, a true no brainer.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Venn Rev 507 TCD rims perhaps? No experience with them myself but built a set with 35 TCD rims which turned out very nice. Also see the long thread about Velocite/Venn rims where company owner Victor Major answers questions.

Are Enve rims even available for separate purchase…?

1llum4

by 1llum4

Yes enve rims are available for seperate purchase.

Thanks for the venn rev 507 TCD rims recommandations MayhemSWE. I will add it to the list of possible options

swright

by swright

The HED Vanquish 6 looks right (30mm external, 21mm internal, 60mm deep), but the rims don't appear to be sold separately. :(

kuniyokeiji

by kuniyokeiji

im in the same situation as you and looking at similiar options
have you looked at nextie carbon rims?
they have a sale now
thier new gravel disc rim
45mm deep
27/30mm external wide rim
22mm inner width

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

1llum4 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:35 am
I want at least 21mm internal width rims. So Boyd rims are out of the running.
Hey there,

We have our new 36mm road disc available (22mm internal for the hooked version), and they have an offset rim bed.
I need to get the rims on the website individually, but here are the specs for the wheels.
https://www.boydcycling.com/shop/wheels ... -wheelset/
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution