Bora one free hub bearings collapsing.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r33prman

by r33prman

Bit of a funny one,

I have a set of bora one 50’s on my supersix. Had them since last Xmas. I ride pretty hard and treat my bike like a tool (bunny hopping etc) cause it is one. I’m 80kg and I’m a chain waxer so degreaser isn’t used often on the area.

A month back I had a creak and tracked it down to the sealed bearings in the free hub body. Pulled the bearings and removed the seals to find they were completely rusted up and disintergrating. I sourced new bearings and replaced them which is a pretty painless job and problem solved.

So yesterday I was out on a loop and I thought my jockey wheels were squeaking. Noise searching I found it was the free hub bearings again. The inner one (closest to hub) is fine but the outermost is all rusted up again. Seems like a short life of the bearing (less than a month, even zipps last longer than that).

Wheels came with the lightweight alloy free hub.

Currently thinking the free hub being softer than the steel bearing is flexing possibly under load and putting undue stress on the bearings?

Wondering if a steel freehub would be a solution?

Other thing I’m thinking is that there’s no outer bearing shield on the freehub bearing so water (winter in Australia) could be getting in and sitting between the bearing and the cassette lock ring and soaking through the seal?

Any help or ideas or soloutions appreciated.

Cheers,

DT

atakaoka

by atakaoka

I had the same problem. The only option is to service more the Free hub.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r33prman

by r33prman

So I serviced the free hub and replaced the bearing with new ones. Was good, I’ve done just over 400kms this weeks on the wheels and halfway through today’s ride.........SQUEAK 😡.

So I pulled the freehub when I got home and I’m not sure what’s going on but it’s squeaking and the outer bearing falls out really easy.

Anyway I need to ride tomorrow (cos 500kms is a rounder number) can I pull my freehub off my training wheel set - fulcrum racing 7’s - and whack that on? They look the same but it’s steel in construction.

Tried it on and it seems to fit.

Any issues with this?

Cheers

DT

alcatraz

by alcatraz

No shield really? How about a pic?

I found that using marine grease helps when the shields and seals are inadequate. You put the grease in the bearing and a lot of it outside under whatever cover there is.

If you lift the seal of a new bearing going in, then mount it with the untouched seal outwards.

/a

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

you have a faulty freehub it should be replaced. The bore ID is too big. you could argue its a warranty.

r33prman

by r33prman

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:16 am
No shield really? How about a pic?

I found that using marine grease helps when the shields and seals are inadequate. You put the grease in the bearing and a lot of it outside under whatever cover there is.

If you lift the seal of a new bearing going in, then mount it with the untouched seal outwards.

/a
Yeah I used grease over the shield of th bearing. I meant it has no dust shields like on zips and stuff.

r33prman

by r33prman

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:03 am
you have a faulty freehub it should be replaced. The bore ID is too big. you could argue its a warranty.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking that. The steel free hub off the fulcrum works tho so I’m just going to speak to my lbs and try and source another steel fulcrum one.

As a bonus I’ll get no cassette bite. Small weight penalty but worth it for reliability I reckon.

DT

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com