Sapim Super cx Ray spoke - tension table

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robotec

by robotec

Planning to build a wheel set with Sapim Super cx Ray
I have a Dt Swiss Tensio I
To achieve desired spoke tension a table with DT Tensio to spoke tension conversion would be helpful
Any of you created such table
Or how are you measuring your Sapim Super Cx Ray spoke tension
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm quite sure that Super spoke and Cx-ray are different spokes.

Never heard of "Super CX-ray"

/a

robotec

by robotec

these are the spokes I have ordered

https://www.starbike.com/en/sapim-super ... ull-black/

How to know the spoke tension with DT Tensio? Anybody having the conversion table?
Thanks in advance

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I doubt you will find a calibration chart for those spokes with the Tensio meter. There's a chart for the Tensio meter with other Sapim spokes at http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/support/tensi ... _chart.pdf, though it does have a transcription error in it - the readings in the columns for G13 Strong and Laser spokes are exactly the same. I've used that chart to build a wheel using normal CX-Ray spokes and a Tensio meter, and it worked well for that.

What you need is something like this, to create your own calibration chart of deflection vs spoke tension:

robotec

by robotec

Thanks for sharing the picture of the calibration tool.
I was hoping I would not be the first one to build with Sapim Super CX ray and someone would be willing to share his established deflection vs spoke tension.
Or how are you measuring your Sapim Super Cx Ray spoke tension ?

WinterRider

by WinterRider

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 pm
I doubt you will find a calibration chart for those spokes with the Tensio meter. There's a chart for the Tensio meter with other Sapim spokes at http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/support/tensi ... _chart.pdf, though it does have a transcription error in it - the readings in the columns for G13 Strong and Laser spokes are exactly the same. I've used that chart to build a wheel using normal CX-Ray spokes and a Tensio meter, and it worked well for that.

What you need is something like this, to create your own calibration chart of deflection vs spoke tension:

Cool pic.. very. :thumbup:

Any observations testing spokes that you found interesting.. something along the lines.. at what kgf does the Laser stop adding tension and just stretch? I've seen different values in that regard.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

No, that's not my testing device, it's just an image I took from this YT video on building it:

WinterRider

by WinterRider

I calibrated my Park using sound.. forget the tone for 14g at 120 kgf.. link around here
somewhere. Even found a young musical set of ears to compare the tones...mine was very close.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

WinterRider wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 am
.. at what kgf does the Laser stop adding tension and just stretch? I've seen different values in that regard.
Is that even possible? Are you talking about exceeding the elastic limit of the spoke so it permanently deforms?

WinterRider

by WinterRider

TheKaiser wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:57 am
WinterRider wrote:
.. at what kgf does the Laser stop adding tension and just stretch? I've seen different values in that regard.
Is that even possible? Are you talking about exceeding the elastic limit of the spoke so it permanently deforms?
I am not sure.. I had an incident couple yrs back I wrote up per a 270 Kinlin laced w Lasers. LSS.. rear locked up due to my error and Lasers stretched literally >1" before breaking (3 spokes). Seem to recall a graph whereas the Lasers just stretch after being tensioned to their limit. Cant remember that kgf rating.. think in the range of 150 kgf.

Again.. what amazed me.. I rebuilt that Kinlin 270 and it was like a new rim build. Easily trued up round and uniform tension... no 'memories' stress issues in the material.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The DT guage has trouble giving a reading CX rays nds rear on an 11 speed hub. I doubt it would much for the CX super. I have the Sapim chart but you need the Sapim guage. I create my own charts using a jig and load cell but the DT guage is a non starter for thin spokes.

F45

by F45

WinterRider wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:14 pm
TheKaiser wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:57 am
WinterRider wrote:
I am not sure.. I had an incident couple yrs back I wrote up per a 270 Kinlin laced w Lasers. LSS.. rear locked up due to my error and Lasers stretched literally >1" before breaking (3 spokes). Seem to recall a graph whereas the Lasers just stretch after being tensioned to their limit. Cant remember that kgf rating.. think in the range of 150 kgf.

Again.. what amazed me.. I rebuilt that Kinlin 270 and it was like a new rim build. Easily trued up round and uniform tension... no 'memories' stress issues in the material.
It's called a stress-strain curve. Basic materials.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

"It's called a stress-strain curve. Basic materials."

Correct. The Sapim Laser on the stress-strain graph if I remember correctly.. went to the limit of the kgf of the graph. The other spokes compared broke before that max level was reached.

But that Kinlin 270... built as round as new w even tension spoke to spoke after this event. I still find that amazing.

F45

by F45

So you just kept cranking on those nipples while the spoke poked 1" out of the rim bed? lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

F45 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 pm
So you just kept cranking on those nipples while the spoke poked 1" out of the rim bed? lol.
No.. that is what you would have done. :lol:

Me... I want inch-es.