Should I keep my Giant SLR 1's?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan512

by Dan512

I jsut ordered a Giant Defy Pro Advanced Disc with Di2.

It comes withe Giant's own SLR 1 carbon tubeless wheels.

What do you guys think of them?

What would be good (e.g. lighter) alternatives that do not cost 2k?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

1500 grams for disc wheels? That's pretty good. I don't think there are any relevant options that are lighter for less $$ out there.

Dan512

by Dan512

From what I found on the net, they are more like 1650gr

moyboy

by moyboy

Dan512

by Dan512

moyboy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm
Does it come with this wheelset?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/slr-1 ... oad-wheels
Yes that‘s them. I found the 1650 gr somewhere on the net. If they are close to 1510, I will keep them, it‘s never goingvto be a true WW bike anyhow.

moyboy

by moyboy

Best to weigh it once you get the bike. For piece of mind!
1510g is respectable as it's similar for a DT swiss 240 with Enve wheelset build.

MoPho

by MoPho

I have a set of the SLR's that I bought as spares to my Enve 5.6 on my TCR disc, I've only weight the front wheel with tires and a rotor and they were within a few grams of each other, but obviouly the Enve is a much deeper wheelset.
Recently broke a spoke on the Enve's and have been riding the SLR's for a bit and think I might even like them better than the Enve. They certainly ride smoother, and the braking is better too for some reason

Dan512

by Dan512

Just weighed the front wheel at 1110 grams with tire. I didn’t really feel like taking the tire of and the milk getting everywhere, so bear with me if the following weights ar not 100% accurate.

Based on the researched weights of the tire (330 gr.), brake disc (106 gr.) and tubeless milk (I guess around 50 gr.), this puts the naked front wheel at around 624 gr. Does that sound about right?

I did weigh the front thru axle at 46 gr.

upside

by upside

I have used a set of SLR 1's for a couple of seasons' I live in a hilly area and definitely need a shallow rim. The wheels are some of the nicest I have ever owned. I have had Enve's, Zipp's, Bontragers,. Easton's and am just super happy with the Giants wheels. Tubeless is pretty straight forward for mounting Schwalbe Pro Ones and now running Vittoria Corsa G+ with latex tubes and just super happy. The braking is as good as anything I have had in the past.
Also had a set of the new Bora's and find the SLR's are all as nice. Hope this helps

Dan512

by Dan512

upside wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 am
I have used a set of SLR 1's for a couple of seasons' I live in a hilly area and definitely need a shallow rim. The wheels are some of the nicest I have ever owned. I have had Enve's, Zipp's, Bontragers,. Easton's and am just super happy with the Giants wheels. Tubeless is pretty straight forward for mounting Schwalbe Pro Ones and now running Vittoria Corsa G+ with latex tubes and just super happy. The braking is as good as anything I have had in the past.
Also had a set of the new Bora's and find the SLR's are all as nice. Hope this helps
Sounds great. I jsut finished setting up the bike. Hopefully I can take it for a spin tomorrow.

upside

by upside

Another area I like about the wheels as they are laterally very stiff which isn't the case for a shallow wheel.... big plus

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com