Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Tofanator

by Tofanator

rawjunk wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:28 am
"If the accessories (hubs, spokes, or nipples) are out of stock and will be ready over 2 weeks, we will double check if you would like to change the accessories or wait for it."

My wheelset was stuck at processing status because they ran out of hubs.
Dam. What hubs? (Asking for a friend)

by Weenie

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Tofanator wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:31 am
rawjunk wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:28 am
"If the accessories (hubs, spokes, or nipples) are out of stock and will be ready over 2 weeks, we will double check if you would like to change the accessories or wait for it."

My wheelset was stuck at processing status because they ran out of hubs.
Dam. What hubs? (Asking for a friend)
DT SWISS 350 12 / 100mm straight pull Center lock Black 24H
DT SWISS 350 12 / 142mm Shimano Road 11S straight pull Center lock Black 28H 18T

Other wheel was already processed. I ordered my wheelset first of june. Delay wasn't too long, maybe 1-2 weeks. I asked them about it via online chat and they apologized and told they will get them briefly(and they did).
Last edited by rawjunk on Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

TimmS wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:02 pm
These look good!
Nice weight too!

I'm desperatly waiting on the WR38 flyweight rims I ordered on June 16th, but they are still in "processing" :(
What I'm particularily impressed with in these wheels is that they are considerably lighter than the Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4 wheels I wanted but couldn't justify paying for. In total, my wheels weigh 1,354g where as the claimed total weight of the XXX 4's is 1,455g. The XXX 4 weight doesn't include the tubeless rim strip, not to mention that XXX 4's are narrower at 21mm internal width (vs 25mm) and slightly less deep. The XXX 4's are sweet wheels and maybe a smidge more aero (maybe?), but their price makes the WR50's look like a steal. My wheels with FedEx 4 day shipping where ~about~ the same cost as just the front XXX 4 wheel :shock:

I can't tell you how many times I logged into the LB web site and saw the "processing" status. If the status stays that way for too long, send LB an email and they'll let you know the next day as to what the hold-up is.

H2O2

by H2O2

I ordered 3 WR38 rims on June 11. Got them this Wednesday, August 5th; super fast FedEx shipping helped.
Had a delay because my 24h hookless rim didn't pass QC the first time. LB said these rims are newly launched so QC is stricter?
The one I got is 400.7 grams. Which is at the limits of 385g +/- 15g.

My other 28h flyweight rim is 396.5g, so also on the heavier side.

They both feel super light though, even compared to my 3rd rim which is a standard wieght at 452.2g.

I wonder if the first one didn't pass QC initially because it was too heavy. Being that it has fewer spoke holes, it might be a gram heavier or so, just pushing it over the limit.

Anyone have flyweight WR rims come closer to nominal weight or lighter?

Orbital

by Orbital

One of my rims didn’t pass QC and was remade too. Didn’t ask why. Just happy it was.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Orbital wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 pm
One of my rims didn’t pass QC and was remade too. Didn’t ask why. Just happy it was.
This happened to me too. First pair didn't pass the QC, second pair was overweight, third one came out as light as I expected and is now being built 🤞

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Could you switch between DT240 and DT350 hub wheelsets without adjusting brake calibers, or is the spacing little different? Does LB usually have any black friday/singles' day sales etc? That -10% DT240 wheelset offer is quite tempting :)

nesfyl

by nesfyl

Here is my set:

WR35/WR45 disc Disc Standard hook satin UD 24H Without Holes
HUB-F DT SWISS 240 EXP 12 / 100mm straight pull Center lock Black 24H
SPOKE Sapim CX Ray Black straight pull
NIPPLE Sapim Aluminium Black Polyax Secure Lock

Shipping today, after being in production for about six weeks.
IMG_7138.jpg
IMG_7137.jpg

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Why the 35-45 combo ?

nesfyl

by nesfyl

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 pm
Why the 35-45 combo ?
Because of crosswind stability. I live in a very hilly, and occasionaly very windy part of the world - I had a bad experience with a Hunt 50mm deep wheelset (that I have now sold), and decided to replace it with smth more manageable.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Ah, I see.
I have a WR45 wheel set on order and wondered if you knew something 😜

Enjoy the new wheels

spartan

by spartan

this is a Light Bicycle forum but i question LB's manufacturing ability. why they can not produce a rim at specified weight. farsports seems to have more consistent
weight on their Feder series rims. + the weight limit on the feders are higher than the flyweight option on the wr's
H2O2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 pm
I ordered 3 WR38 rims on June 11. Got them this Wednesday, August 5th; super fast FedEx shipping helped.
Had a delay because my 24h hookless rim didn't pass QC the first time. LB said these rims are newly launched so QC is stricter?
The one I got is 400.7 grams. Which is at the limits of 385g +/- 15g.

My other 28h flyweight rim is 396.5g, so also on the heavier side.

They both feel super light though, even compared to my 3rd rim which is a standard wieght at 452.2g.

I wonder if the first one didn't pass QC initially because it was too heavy. Being that it has fewer spoke holes, it might be a gram heavier or so, just pushing it over the limit.

Anyone have flyweight WR rims come closer to nominal weight or lighter?
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

jhnbssll

by jhnbssll

I'm new to the forum but just wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread, the info has been very useful.

I've ordered a pair of AR36 rims in matte 3k finish, plus an R65 and R55 in matte 12k finish, to build a couple of pairs of wheels up. They're being delivered with the XDB tax prepaid option and have currently been sat in a warehouse in Hong Kong since the 6th, hopefully they'll start moving again soon :)

The AR36's will be shared between my two 'best' road bikes for grim weather use and the R65/R55 pair will be going on my Bianchi.

wallace

by wallace

I am new to the forum and I have to say this thread is so informative. After reading all of the comments, I have decided to give light bicycle a try.
I placed an order on July 24th. R55 rim without holes, carbon ti hubs, sapim cx ray, brass nipples, and stealth deca. UD satin finish.
I hope this will fit my 2012 Felt F75. Currently running Zonda c17 with 25mm GP4k. Ordered a pair of 23mm GP5k for the light bicycle sets. I was hoping to get the wheels before September, but I just found out that carbon ti company is on holiday and light bicycle won't get the hubs until Sep 10. I was kinda upset because I initially wanted a DT240 exp but they told me they won't get them until mid Sep and recommended me to try the carbon ti. So I thought they do have the carbon ti hubs in stock, but I guess not :(
Hence, the 6 weeks wait.....

jockstick

by jockstick

Does anyone know if they sell a 28mm rim brake wheelset that's U shaped (40mm-50mm depth)?

I see that they have the AR46 which 28mm but V shaped, and they have the R45 that is U shaped but only 25mm.

by Weenie