Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Terrordact wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:04 am
So we're thinking they'll come in around 28 then? That would be perfect, even give them a smidge to stretch.
I predict and bet they'll measure 29mm new and stretch with time at least .5mm. That's my bet.

I'm thinking about getting a pair for peace of mind, leaving CS for races. I haven't yet flatted the vittoria CS and they still look very good after 1100km, but I did get a few holes that spilled some sealant and dropped some pressure while riding... So they've proven to be reliable enough for me to race them (I was intentionally riding a pair just to find that out, I wouldn't race something that hasn't proven to be good while training). So now I can give away a couple watts and ride GP5k around.

BTW today I had to remove the rear tire and I could scrap 36g of dry sealant off the tire... I had done a bad taping job and there was a leak around the valve that started to sneak between the tape and the rim, and the wet sealant was unglueing the whole thing. Solved now. I thought dry sealant weighted much less, as its mostly water. Seems I was wrong. One interesting thing is that the spoke holes are sealed by the nipples and the only leak I could spot was some sealant coming off around the valve. It looks that my theory of a tapeless setup for bigger air volume in a tubeless deep rim could actually work well if I sealed the valve hole better! But the pressure was dropping some 10psi per hour with that (small) leak and probably 3x more air volume. But these rims are not made to hold air pressure within the inner part I guess. So it might be dangerous...

by Weenie

Beaver

by Beaver

rides4beer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 pm
Terrordact wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm
Does anyone have GP 5k 25's (tubeless or clincher) on the RR56C02 rims, wondering how wide they come out and if they would violate the 105%. Just ordered the rims, saw the BRR post, but huge difference between 17mm internal and 23mm internal.
I'd guess under 29mm. They measured at 27.1mm on my 21mm internal LB rims, saw somewhere that the rule of thumb is to expect an extra .7mm in measured width for every 1mm of added internal width, so probably somewhere around 28.5mm. Should be about perfect.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... comparison

Hm, maybe you got a narrow set? Here the 25mm GP 5000 had 26.3mm on 17C - with the thumb rule it should be at least 27.7mm... And after a while they get a little wider.

It should be less than 29mm on 23C but how much...? :noidea:

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Beaver wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:12 pm
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... comparison

Hm, maybe you got a narrow set? Here the 25mm GP 5000 had 26.3mm on 17C - with the thumb rule it should be at least 27.7mm... And after a while they get a little wider.

It should be less than 29mm on 23C but how much...? :noidea:
Could be, mine also weighed a lil bit less than some others have reported, including BRR. I'll take it. lol Looking straight down at the tire I can see the edges of the rim, so I have no complaints, even if it's not technically under the 105% rule, still better than my other setup was!

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I'm considering buying a pair of carbon 650B Light Bicycle wheels with i9 hubs for my new gravel bike. What do you guys think of these wheels? How is customer service? Wheels are around $1000 with the i9 hubs.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

emotive

by emotive

Noctiluxx wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:51 pm
I'm considering buying a pair of carbon 650B Light Bicycle wheels with i9 hubs for my new gravel bike. What do you guys think of these wheels? How is customer service? Wheels are around $1000 with the i9 hubs.
I have a set of their 700C Flyweight MTB rims laced to DT240S road hubs on my gravel bike. They weigh 1197g and I've put 5000km on them so far, very happy. I do get some flex in the rear when climbing 9%+ grades, now they recommend a 345g rim in the rear, I would do that next time.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Noctiluxx wrote:
I recently purchased a wheelset from the global website. The customer service was extraordinarily good. At one point I checked out halfway to see shipping costs and left the wheelset in the shopping cart. I received and email asking if I needed any help with my decision. Every question I asked received a very prompt reply. After the purchase I received serveral communications about the status of my order - not just automated messages but actual emails. I did send an additional inquiry about anticipated shipping dates and recieved a near immediate reply.

The people are very professional and responsive. If the product suits your needs, shop with confidence. Highly recommended. The North American operation is more expensive and has fewer options. No idea about their service level.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AJS914

by AJS914

Noctiluxx wrote:

If you end up with a rim that needs warranty they usually send you a free rim within 30 days. After 30 days you will have to pay for shipping. It's a small risk that I think is worth it since you are saving a thousand bucks over a big name brand wheelset.

bilwit

by bilwit

You guys have no reservations about putting a ~25mm tire on a 23mm internal rim? I know ETRTO is a bit outdated but still that seems a little sketchy to me. Light-bicycle kept making it a point to mention that I need to be putting 28mm on the 23mm internal rims but I know my GP4ks will balloon on them.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

bilwit wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:07 pm
You guys have no reservations about putting a ~25mm tire on a 23mm internal rim? I know ETRTO is a bit outdated but still that seems a little sketchy to me. Light-bicycle kept making it a point to mention that I need to be putting 28mm on the 23mm internal rims but I know my GP4ks will balloon on them.
Cannondale is putting a 23mm tire on a 23mm internal rim, and I doubt they would open themselves up to a lawsuit by selling an unsafe combination. A 23mm GP4K or 25mm GP5K should be the perfect fit for those.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:51 am
AlgaeHater wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 pm
Looks great! Is that the stealth or white decal?

First ride report, did my usual 30 mile route, handling and comfort are definitely improved!! There's one road with really rough pavement that makes the internal cables rattle, it felt smooth with no rattling! Also a section of MUP that I hit on this route that has a bunch of ripples from tree roots growing under it, they'll rattle your fillings out if you hit it too fast, still bouncy, but much more comfortable.

It was pretty windy, so also a good test of cross wind handling, which was great. They actually handle better in the wind than my alloys. I read a post from Hambini in another thread talking about how when your tire is wider than the rim, the air detaches earlier and makes more turbulence, which actually makes the hit from the crosswinds worse, and I absolutely believe it now. When the wind would hit my other wheels (25mm tire/21mm rim) it would jerk the handle bars. Now when the wind hits, it's more of a soft push than a quick jerk, much more manageable.
Yup, they came out great. We meet again :-)

Two questions. I have read that carbon makes the ride harsher? And, serious? Wind was not an issue? Maybe I should get a 56?

Beaver

by Beaver

rides4beer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:48 pm
bilwit wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:07 pm
Cannondale is putting a 23mm tire on a 23mm internal rim, and I doubt they would open themselves up to a lawsuit by selling an unsafe combination. A 23mm GP4K or 25mm GP5K should be the perfect fit for those.
The Cannondale Knot 64 are 32mm wide and have 21mm inside width - as HED recommends, just pick a tire that is at least 1mm wider than the inner width of the rim. ;) And regarding the stability: Tubeless rims have a different shape than older rims which also helps a lot to keep the tire in place and you don't have to worry about it. I wouldn't put narrow tires on old rims though, e.g. a 20mm tire on an old 19C trekking rim...

Beaver

by Beaver

deepakvrao wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:23 am
Two questions. I have read that carbon makes the ride harsher? And, serious? Wind was not an issue? Maybe I should get a 56?
The higher the rim, the harsher the ride, but spoke tension is also relevant - but mostly tire pressure.

Wind stability is a matter of taste (and rider weight) - 35-40mm are ok for most riders, some are ok with 56mm, but for others 46mm are already too affected by crosswinds... You have to find out for yourself. It's also important where you ride: In the mountains wind can be far more dangerous when descending at hight speeds than rolling in the flat.
Last edited by Beaver on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

spud

by spud

^ depends on the rim. Deep rims also offer a lot of rim sidewall depth between the nipple bed, where most of the wheel stiffness comes from, and the tire bed, where the design of the tire bed has the most effect locally. That sidewall can act as a spring, especially if the sidewall is curved, in effect "pre-buckled". To this day, the most comfortable wheels I've ridden are old Zipp 404s, that unfortunately weren't all that strong. Currently riding 46mm deep wheels, and they are harder riding.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

For a 75 kg rider [165-170 pounds], would you guys recommend a 24 or 28 spoke rear?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

deepakvrao wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:23 am
Yup, they came out great. We meet again :-)

They're definitely stiffer, so that makes it a little harsher, but it's fine for me. They are more comfortable than my narrow alloy rims with higher pressure. I've ridden them in 15-20mph winds with no problems, but as mentioned, that'll probably differ from person to person. I'm 83kg with good upper body strength, so the wind will probably affect me less than a smaller rider.

Beaver wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:33 am
The Cannondale Knot 64 are 32mm wide and have 21mm inside width - as HED recommends, just pick a tire that is at least 1mm wider than the inner width of the rim. ;) And regarding the stability: Tubeless rims have a different shape than older rims which also helps a lot to keep the tire in place and you don't have to worry about it. I wouldn't put narrow tires on old rims though, e.g. a 20mm tire on an old 19C trekking rim...
Thanks, I've been looking at too many wheels specs and got it mixed up. :thumbup:

deepakvrao wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:01 pm
For a 75 kg rider [165-170 pounds], would you guys recommend a 24 or 28 spoke rear?
Mine are 20h front, 24h rear and LB has the weight limit at 130kg. :beerchug:

by Weenie