Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bilwit

by bilwit

we51 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:10 pm
Hi all, I tried to search but haven't found this question addressed specifically - I am currently looking at having wheels built with LB AR46 rim brake version. LB do the AR46 rim brake in a flyweight version, but when I asked about it they advised to avoid flyweight on rim brake due to risk of deformation due to heat accumulation during extended braking. I would get with the grooved graphene brake surface, and I am about 66 kg. I live in an area with lots of rolling hill and don't do extended descents - but wouldn't necessarily want to rule it out.

So... is anyone using rim brake flyweight rims, and what has the exprience been?

Thanks!
I never heard of them even offering the option of a flyweight rim brake until earlier this year. I would be curious about the tubular version though. For a clincher that's a hard pass for me, that's asking for trouble.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

we51 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:10 pm
Hi all, I tried to search but haven't found this question addressed specifically - I am currently looking at having wheels built with LB AR46 rim brake version. LB do the AR46 rim brake in a flyweight version, but when I asked about it they advised to avoid flyweight on rim brake due to risk of deformation due to heat accumulation during extended braking. I would get with the grooved graphene brake surface, and I am about 66 kg. I live in an area with lots of rolling hill and don't do extended descents - but wouldn't necessarily want to rule it out.

So... is anyone using rim brake flyweight rims, and what has the exprience been?

Thanks!
Hi,
I have a AR46 set with flyweight front (normal rear), Grooved Graphene Track, and as a 68 kg rider I had no issues so far.
I ride mostly in the Alps (I live in Switzerland), and I am a pretty slow descender (so I brake a lot).
I am curious that they advised you to avoid flyweight for rim brakes, did they encountered a few failures from now on ?
They did not warned me when I ordered, nearly a year ago.
Anyway, my rims are still like new, no wear is visible on the brake tracks after around 10'000 km

we51

by we51

Thanks for the info. They didn't provide any detail with the recommendation. I went with the regular layup due to the uncertainty.

kompromesso

by kompromesso

[/quote]

Hi,
I have a AR46 set with flyweight front (normal rear), Grooved Graphene Track, and as a 68 kg rider I had no issues so far.
I ride mostly in the Alps (I live in Switzerland), and I am a pretty slow descender (so I brake a lot).
[/quote]

hey, which braking pads are you using? do they perform well on wet? Ty

kompromesso

by kompromesso

[/quote]

Hi,
[/quote]

frnchy

by frnchy

Had a fairly scary experience with my Corsa Controls yesterday, figured I should share as a possible warning. After 1200 smooth-sailing miles, the sidewall/bead interface of my rear Corsa ruptured on a descent. Fortunately it didn't give way fully at first - I just felt a bump-bump-bump motion in the rear all of a sudden - I was able to get to a safe stop on the bumpy tire (first pic below) which then exploded about 30 seconds later (second pic). It's a little hard to tell from the pics, but the sidewall was not lacerated nor did it seem damaged in any way; rather the sidewall casing wraps around the bead and is then glued(?) in place on top, and it's this adhesion that failed. I'm not sure what could have caused this - the tires seemed fine upon pre-ride inspection (and the front still does, though I've taken it off). The tires seemed undamaged, and I did not strike anything at the time of the blowout. :noidea: In any case, I'll be letting LB and Vittoria know about this, in case the rin bed/bead hook design is to blame. Glad it didn't give way 2 minutes earlier when I was doing 55 mph downhill!

Too bad really, since I loved the feel and tread durability of the Corsas. On a more positive note, tubeless setup with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tires was as easy as can be, almost easier than a tubed clincher, and they felt pretty smooth and fast on this morning's ride.

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

kompromesso wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 pm
Hi,
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am on Campagnolo red pads, they are really powerful and predictible even in the wet.
I tried SwissStop flash pro black prince in the beginning, but on hard brakings, at a certain point they began to fade while whistling.
It is really stressful when your braking fades inside a corner, so I swapped them for Campagnolo red ones and everything is now solved.

kompromesso

by kompromesso

IanisCercariolo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:07 pm
kompromesso wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 pm
Hi,
[/quote]

I am on Campagnolo red pads, they are really powerful and predictible even in the wet.
I tried SwissStop flash pro black prince in the beginning, but on hard brakings, at a certain point they began to fade while whistling.
It is really stressful when your braking fades inside a corner, so I swapped them for Campagnolo red ones and everything is now solved.
[/quote]

Thanks. Much appreciated

5DII

by 5DII

My new wheels arrived today
DT240 hubs
It shows "408" rather than 308 vs 318
Anyone else have this and know whether or not it's a revised version or an defective version of the hubs?
Attachments
304224FF-1949-48F1-A0D9-F48DB8241171.jpeg

CGGordon

by CGGordon

Has anyone fitted Pirelli Cinturato 28's to Light Bicycle WR56 rims with an inner width of 23mm? I just picked up a couple of cinturato tyres and noticed they state not to use on inner width's above 20mm!

mashiehood

by mashiehood

frnchy wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:31 am
Had a fairly scary experience with my Corsa Controls yesterday, figured I should share as a possible warning. After 1200 smooth-sailing miles, the sidewall/bead interface of my rear Corsa ruptured on a descent. Fortunately it didn't give way fully at first - I just felt a bump-bump-bump motion in the rear all of a sudden - I was able to get to a safe stop on the bumpy tire (first pic below) which then exploded about 30 seconds later (second pic). It's a little hard to tell from the pics, but the sidewall was not lacerated nor did it seem damaged in any way; rather the sidewall casing wraps around the bead and is then glued(?) in place on top, and it's this adhesion that failed. I'm not sure what could have caused this - the tires seemed fine upon pre-ride inspection (and the front still does, though I've taken it off). The tires seemed undamaged, and I did not strike anything at the time of the blowout. :noidea: In any case, I'll be letting LB and Vittoria know about this, in case the rin bed/bead hook design is to blame. Glad it didn't give way 2 minutes earlier when I was doing 55 mph downhill!

Too bad really, since I loved the feel and tread durability of the Corsas. On a more positive note, tubeless setup with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tires was as easy as can be, almost easier than a tubed clincher, and they felt pretty smooth and fast on this morning's ride.
I have had a virtually identical experience on a Turbo Cotton tyre with Enve clinchers, suspect its more the tyre than the rim.

ms6073

by ms6073

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 pm
frnchy wrote:
Had a fairly scary experience with my Corsa Controls yesterday, figured I should share as a possible warning.
I have had a virtually identical experience on a Turbo Cotton tyre with Enve clinchers, suspect its more the tyre than the rim.
I would agree. Enve even publishes a tire compatibility table and the Vittoria Corsa Controls are included in the Approved/Recommended for most of the rims, but there are also numerous references to air pressure limitations.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

frnchy wrote:
Had a fairly scary experience with my Corsa Controls yesterday, figured I should share as a possible warning.
This is a big deal and thanks for the warning.
A a few questions: what pressure were you running, what was the temperature at the time, and is that a standard butyl inner tube in there? I assume that yellow cord is the kevlar tire bead that has escaped from its cloth "envelope"? No tear in the cloth, just opened at the edge? Those are Falcon Pros? They look really nice.

One of the things I like about cloth tires is that they should be less affected by heat in the bead area. But this one clearly came unglued. My guess is that it is totally a tire issue. Not that there should be a heat issue with disc wheels.

I find this so disturbing as I run a lot of Vittoria on rim brake bikes which in theory should make them even more susceptible to this type of failure. OTOH, I can't recall this type of failure with Vittoria before, seen it plenty with other brands though. Hopefully it's a one-off.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Orbital

by Orbital

I’ve been running Vittoria Corsa G+ on my LB wheels for over a year now. They’re almost at end of life and I have Corsa 2.0 ready to go on. Never had any issues with the G+. Not even a flat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frnchy

by frnchy

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:19 pm
frnchy wrote:
This is a big deal and thanks for the warning.
A a few questions: what pressure were you running, what was the temperature at the time, and is that a standard butyl inner tube in there? I assume that yellow cord is the kevlar tire bead that has escaped from its cloth "envelope"? No tear in the cloth, just opened at the edge? Those are Falcon Pros? They look really nice.

One of the things I like about cloth tires is that they should be less affected by heat in the bead area. But this one clearly came unglued. My guess is that it is totally a tire issue. Not that there should be a heat issue with disc wheels.

I find this so disturbing as I run a lot of Vittoria on rim brake bikes which in theory should make them even more susceptible to this type of failure. OTOH, I can't recall this type of failure with Vittoria before, seen it plenty with other brands though. Hopefully it's a one-off.
-pressure =~55-60 psi
-temp =~80 F (that's what my wahoo recorded; at the road surface, add a dozen degrees or so. I've ridden in considerably hotter conditions with no issues though)
-tube = panaracer r-air, no patches, nearly new

What's visible in the second pic is the bead, and the damage is as you say - the cloth enveloping the bead came unglued (see pic below, it's crappy but you can see the glue/bead/cloth interface). I've put this tire through quite some gravel abuse, but as noted before I haven't seen any sidewall damage as a result, and I inspect my tires fairly frequently.

The rims and bead hooks are completely undamaged. The worst I had to do was wipe off the talc from the inner tube.