Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ruffryder

by ruffryder

scatsob wrote:Got my pictures today. Super excited to get them on the road and see how they do in the sometimes nasty winds here in southern Spain. Hopefully they ship today and show up sometime next week :).

WR50/65, DT350, 28h, no holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are gorgeous, congrats! Am sure they will do great in windy conditions.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

doc88

by doc88

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:37 am
doc88 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 pm
hello I'm Gianluca from Italy! I have some questions to the owners of lightbicycle wheels,
but first some personal specs: I'm 80kg, I ride a racing bike with rim brakes, only asphalt, I'm going to use tubeless 28mm tyres, looking for a medium aero rim 40-50mm:

1) most important: are these wheels good for rim brakes? has anyone had any issues?
2) v-shaped AR series vs u-shaped R series, which one is the best?
3) for 28mm tubeless which one is better: 23/30mm inner/outer width or 21/28mm inner/outer width?

Thanks to everyone is going to help!

Cheers
The braking should be as good as any other brand and better than many.
You do need to be careful with 23/30mm rims on a rim brake bike. 28mm tires will get close to the brake caliper or frame on some models. Of course some frames have good space and can do it. I can fit up to 32mm measured on my Factor rim brake with EE direct mount brakes. Which brake calipers will you use? Some are borderline with 30mm rims.
As for the 105 rule, it only matters if you are trying to optimize for every watt. I use 28mm Vittoria Corsas on 28mm wide rims on days that I want more comfort. I even use a 30mm tire on the rear sometimes as well. There are no issues in crosswinds, another reason you don't want the tire much wider than the rim.
@Mr.Gib thank you! I looked at my frame specs it should fit up to 32mm but I never tried before
what I didn't consider was my brake calipers specs!
I have SHIMANO 105 Direct Mount Front Brake Caliper on the front (BR-R7000-F) and SHIMANO 105 Dual-Pivot Brake Caliper on the rear (BR-R7000) https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/ ... r7000.html
and checking thier specs I can fit max 28mm rims and 28c tyres
alanyu wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:12 am
doc88 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 pm
hello I'm Gianluca from Italy! I have some questions to the owners of lightbicycle wheels,
but first some personal specs: I'm 80kg, I ride a racing bike with rim brakes, only asphalt, I'm going to use tubeless 28mm tyres, looking for a medium aero rim 40-50mm:

1) most important: are these wheels good for rim brakes? has anyone had any issues?
2) v-shaped AR series vs u-shaped R series, which one is the best?
3) for 28mm tubeless which one is better: 23/30mm inner/outer width or 21/28mm inner/outer width?

Thanks to everyone is going to help!

Cheers
1) Brake power is good in dry, above average in wet but low in heavy rain (most carbon rims are low in heavy rain). Farsports have a better brake track.

2) Considering the tire-rim combo and the specifiec shape of AR and R (rim brake), the wide curved-V-shape of AR has a more relaxed 105 rule than the U-shaped R. I have AR56-28/21 and other open module rims whose shape is the same as R (38 front and 50 rear). The U shape is more stable in small yaw while the wide curved-V shape is more stable in big yaw even with a deeper profile. The curved-V is pushed left and right like an oscillator in small yaw, kinda unstable. One needs to get used to this oscillator behaviour which only happens in small yaw and then will find the handling easier as the side force is actually smaller than the U shape.
U vs wide curved V.png
3) Make sure the clearance of both your frame and brake is enough. My frame and brake (EE G3 DM) have clearance for 32 mm (real width) tires, but EE works better with the rims whose brake track width is no larger than 28 mm.

For 28c tubeless, some would measure 28 mm on a 21c rim but most are wider while most others would be more than that. For both aero and comfort, 23/30 is better if you stick to 28c tubeless.
@alanyu thanks a lot!
as far as my brakes caliper specs is concerned the answer is the same I gave to @Mr.Gib...my max rim and tyres width are respectively 28mm and 28c
please correct me if I'm wrong but after what you taught me, for better aero performances, I must use 21/28mm rim width with 25c tubeless tyres which hopefully will be a little wider than 25mm for both aero and comfort reasons
very interesting the graph you shared! basically lateral force produced by yaw is always lower with wide-curved V shaped rims than U-shaped rims and with wide-curved V shaped rims unstableness decreases with increase of yaw. in other words the only scenario where U-shaped rims are better than wide-curved V shaped rims is when there is small yaw where, even if lateral force is bigger than the lateral force You would have with wide-curved V shaped rims, they results more stable.

really thank you to both @Mr.Gib and @alanyou to open my eyes about not only frame but also calipers clearance!
I was considering Light Bicycle because it was the only company offering a 23/30mm rim, but now I have understood I'm stuck with 21/28mm is there any other company I should reconsider in your opinions? is there something better out there or you would always buy from Light Bicycles?

thanks thanks thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

ruffryder wrote:Anybody seen the new Bontrager Aeolus specs? Looks very similar to the AR56. They were already fast wheels and now even faster. No need to spend that much though since the AR56 are pretty close in performance while being only a fraction of their cost.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Saw those the other day, almost $4k!! Image Could buy another bike with the difference from my AR56s! Image

Did 70 miles @ 22mph avg solo yesterday, the AR56s hold speed really well, and handle well in the wind with a 25mm tire up front. I just can’t see justifying 4x the cost, but to each their own.

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

This might be a silly question. I have 32mm tires on my WR38. To see if a 28mm tire would improve wind stability I ordered a 28mm tire for the front. I was only thinking after I had the new tire ordered if running a32mn tire in the back and a 28mm one in the front would change my position on the bike noticeably??? Would anybody any experience?

jlok

by jlok

I can tell the that the steering response is faster on 25/28 than 28/28. You may able to feel it. Other than it, I'm not sure if I could feel the effect of lowered front end. Hope it helps.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Cubist

by Cubist

I am very lucky with the shipping.

Apparently they ship by plane now from China to Europe

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Cubist wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:53 pm

Which shipping option did you choose? Was it EMS?

CamW

by CamW

Some new wave style rims from Light Bicyle have cropped up on their website:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-road- ... lable.html

RDY

by RDY

CamW wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Looks like a bad artist's impression trying to convey how light plays on a satin finish.

Cubist

by Cubist

MrRolandos wrote:
Cubist wrote:

Shipping I chose TPD. This is the method with tax, vat and import taxes included. I can confirm that there is no extra charge from NL customs. Box and wheels have no damage whatsoever.

Product inside the box looks very well made, but boy this carbon-ti hub is extremely loud! Need to silence that a little bit. Loudest hub I heard in my life.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Cubist wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:08 pm
MrRolandos wrote:
Cubist wrote:

Shipping I chose TPD. This is the method with tax, vat and import taxes included. I can confirm that there is no extra charge from NL customs. Box and wheels have no damage whatsoever.

Product inside the box looks very well made, but boy this carbon-ti hub is extremely loud! Need to silence that a little bit. Loudest hub I heard in my life.
Ahh yeah, I did choose the same method. Hopefully gonna be receiving the AR55 Pro rims fairly soon. A friend is gonna build them up with Erase Road Disc Hubs, gonna be interesting

We do need pictures! ;)

M4lukz

by M4lukz

RDY wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:34 pm
CamW wrote:

Looks like a bad artist's impression trying to convey how light plays on a satin finish.
They say the new design is better aero and better impact resistance

RDY

by RDY

M4lukz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:57 pm
RDY wrote:
CamW wrote:

The waves aren't verified by the profile they publish, or the description, I think they're just over egging the satin - I assume layup or resin have changed to a more industry standard grey / charcoal from their first 'blacktec' rims - which are jet black.

M4lukz

by M4lukz

RDY wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:13 pm
M4lukz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:57 pm
RDY wrote:
CamW wrote:

The waves aren't verified by the profile they publish, or the description, I think they're just over egging the satin - I assume layup or resin have changed to a more industry standard grey / charcoal from their first 'blacktec' rims - which are jet black.
looks wavy in the in/out direction, if that makes any sense at all, instead of waving like princeton/ZIPP does, LB is doing something stranger :noidea:

scatsob

by scatsob

They are changing the profile from U to Vish, back and forth. Not sure how that helps aero but perhaps strength where the spoke holes are??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com