Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Antoine191

by Antoine191

Those wheels are advertised in gravel section :/ old 25 were really 27 but that 25 looks to be 25 in a regular 18mm rim. Guess it won't be an easy choice. 30 looks smarter. Any competitors that I could/should compare ? Thank you for the insight.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Antoine191 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:10 pm
Those wheels are advertised in gravel section :/ old 25 were really 27 but that 25 looks to be 25 in a regular 18mm rim. Guess it won't be an easy choice. 30 looks smarter. Any competitors that I could/should compare ? Thank you for the insight.
Theres a whole thread on other brands of chinese wheels, but yoeleos look nice too. I wonder about BTLOS, I almost went for them. Nobody around here seems to have tried their road rims yet, but they look good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

J89eu

by J89eu

Hi all. I'm very new to this stuff but I'd love to replace the existing basic wheels on my roadie with some nice deepish section aero wheels. I've found these light bicycle wheels and I'm impressed. In particular the RR46 seems to be the one for me. I'm thinking either to buy the rims only and then source the rest of the bits locally in the UK or buy the whole wheel set. A rough browse showed me I could save a good chunk if I bought the bits separate and had them built though I'm not sure what it costs to have some wheels built up.

I currently have this bike https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-alto-ir ... e-EV246164

I'm 90kg and 188cm tall so not the lightest. I was thinking to build them as follows

RR46 24H front 28H rear
DT Swiss 240S or 350. Not sure if the 240S is with it
Salim CX ray spokes - should I go straight pull or j-hook?
Aluminium nipples - can these be built with internal nipples and is it worth it?
25mm GP5000 tubeless

Any advise?

dcorn

by dcorn

J89eu wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am
Hi all. I'm very new to this stuff but I'd love to replace the existing basic wheels on my roadie with some nice deepish section aero wheels. I've found these light bicycle wheels and I'm impressed. In particular the RR46 seems to be the one for me. I'm thinking either to buy the rims only and then source the rest of the bits locally in the UK or buy the whole wheel set. A rough browse showed me I could save a good chunk if I bought the bits separate and had them built though I'm not sure what it costs to have some wheels built up.

I currently have this bike https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-alto-ir ... e-EV246164

I'm 90kg and 188cm tall so not the lightest. I was thinking to build them as follows

RR46 24H front 28H rear
Aluminium nipples - can these be built with internal nipples and is it worth it?
25mm GP5000 tubeless

Any advise?
From what I've read, DT350 hubs are very durable and 240s are overkill unless you want baller parts. I got the 350s and upgraded the freehub to 54 tooth because it was the same price as 36 tooth. I went straight pull, they should be stronger, and I did brass nipples for strength over aluminum. I've only heard wheelbuilders bitch about internal nipples and it doesn't appear it's an option anyway.

I'm about the same weight as you, I went for strength in my build over weight weenie parts.

J89eu

by J89eu

dcorn wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:13 pm
J89eu wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am

RR46 24H front 28H rear
25mm GP5000 tubeless

Any advise?
From what I've read, DT350 hubs are very durable and 240s are overkill unless you want baller parts. I got the 350s and upgraded the freehub to 54 tooth because it was the same price as 36 tooth. I went straight pull, they should be stronger, and I did brass nipples for strength over aluminum. I've only heard wheelbuilders bitch about internal nipples and it doesn't appear it's an option anyway.

I'm about the same weight as you, I went for strength in my build over weight weenie parts.
Thanks for the help, did you go for the same spoke count as I am looking at 24 front 28 back. I am tempted to try and build them myself but don't know anyone with a wheel truer so would have to buy one. I'd also be a bit nervous to go 54T with the durability and maintenance

dcorn

by dcorn

I got rim brake wheels, so they were 20/24 spoke. 24/28 is plenty.

Hmm, I didn't really read much on the freehub reviews, I just figured higher number was better. Maybe I should have gone with 36 tooth, but I don't mind a loud freehub. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

spud

by spud

IMHO, number of teeth on DT star ratchets for the road is basically immaterial. Makes a big difference in technical MTB terrain, otherwise not at all.

dcorn

by dcorn

The loud freehubs on my Reynolds wheels are good for getting the attention of people I'm coming up behind on the trail. These wheels are going on a race bike, so I guess it'll let the guys in front of me know how much wheelsucking I'm doing throughout the race. ;-)

emotive

by emotive

tharmor wrote:What should expect the Bon Jon Pass by Compass to measure out to on the Falcon Pro’s with the 25mm internal width? They are listed as a 35mm tubeless compatible.
I had Bon Jon Pass on my LB MTB wheels with 22mm internal hookless rim, set up tubeless, and they measured 37.6mm once fully stretched. I estimate on a 25mm hooked internal rim they would start at 37mm and stretch to 38.5mm

sirsondre

by sirsondre

I've just ordered the 65mm wheelset for discs in glossy UD finish, 28h front and rear and DT Swiss 350 hubs. Can't wait to have a go on them!

Konsi

by Konsi

If anyone in Australia is puzzled by his DHL order tracking, I have your tracking number (got send the wrong one first) :)

Roger9

by Roger9

Been communicating with Nancy about some 45 profile wheels.

I was surprised the 25 (45 deep) wide rims were heavier by about 20g than the 28 (46 deep) wheels but then Nancy pointed out the 45CO2 rims are U shaped while the 46CO2 rims are V shaped.

I was of the belief almost all modern rims were now U profile so was surprised LB was going down the V profile path.

I appreciate the weight difference is negligible but I'd prefer 28 wide rims but not convinced about the V profile.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

sirsondre

by sirsondre

Anyone with experience on the "order status"-link which is provided when ordering from LB?

I ordered last week and I've been following the order status frequently since then and now it's been stuck on "Material prepare" for several days :(

Konsi

by Konsi

sirsondre wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 am
Anyone with experience on the "order status"-link which is provided when ordering from LB?

I ordered last week and I've been following the order status frequently since then and now it's been stuck on "Material prepare" for several days :(
I had the same question a few pages back. If it is anything to go by, my rims will be superlight from all the sanding :D

upside

by upside

With tariffs in place for me in the USA.. would that also cost me another 25%.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com