Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
andrzejg

by andrzejg

OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:46 pm
malizeus wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:20 pm
Anyone had their falcon pro rims stuck at sanding, mine have been at sanding for a week.

Shouldnt the pro rims come out of mould as a finished rim, what is there to sand?
Same with my AM927 mtb wheels.
Not pro (AR56), but my wheelset also stuck at sanding for almost a week now. Maybe their random status generator got broken... :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

andrzejg wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:04 pm
OnTheRivet wrote:
malizeus wrote:
Anyone had their falcon pro rims stuck at sanding, mine have been at sanding for a week.

Shouldnt the pro rims come out of mould as a finished rim, what is there to sand?
Not pro (AR56), but my wheelset also stuck at sanding for almost a week now. Maybe their random status generator got broken... :wink:
This morning mine moved from Sanding to building after about three weeks of continuous sanding.

Hopefully building doesn’t take that long!

:)
:beerchug:

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

FLtrooper wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:03 pm
andrzejg wrote:
OnTheRivet wrote:
malizeus wrote:

This morning mine moved from Sanding to building after about three weeks of continuous sanding.

I wonder if there was any rim left after all that sanding. :lol:

scico

by scico

Anyone got internal nipples rims?

ms6073

by ms6073

scico wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:43 pm
Sounds like a birth defect. I did not think LB had an option for internal nipples.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

cflare

by cflare

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:24 pm
scico wrote:
Sounds like a birth defect. I did not think LB had an option for internal nipples.
They can customize it to give you internal nipples if you ask. It's supposedly more aero (and is what enve and SwissSide does) but personally, I didn't think it would be worth the potential pain if something needs to be adjusted.

ms6073

by ms6073

cflare wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:33 pm
They can customize it to give you internal nipples if you ask. It's supposedly more aero (and is what enve and SwissSide does).
It can be a bit more work should you break a spoke - especially for tubular wheels. My experiences with multiple sets of tubular and clincher Enve Twenty9 XC wheels which used internal nipples was very positive, but unlike most manufacturers, Enve molds the spoke holes when the rims are laid up, not drilled after the fact.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jlok

by jlok

scico wrote:
I got it on my WR50.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

PeytonM

by PeytonM

My wheels arrived today the 24th, shipped 17th via ems to Sydney. Purchased first day of the Black Friday sale.

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:53 pm
FLtrooper wrote:
andrzejg wrote:
OnTheRivet wrote:

It’s a Christmas miracle… my wheels are no longer being sanded and have shipped!

:beerchug:

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

FLtrooper wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:59 pm
OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:53 pm
FLtrooper wrote:
andrzejg wrote:

It’s a Christmas miracle… my wheels are no longer being sanded and have shipped!

Hahaha, mine too.

Luften

by Luften

bkerning wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:00 am

Great experience with the LB wheels so far. 4 weeks (total) from payment to delivery at my door in the US. Super easy to setup my new Conti 5000s tubeless, didn't need a tire lever or sealant. I did put some in just in case.

Only 300 miles on them but they definitely feel smoother/faster than my DT Swiss PR 1800s. Haven't had any issues crosswind yet.

I'll try and do a long term review
Hi bkerning, I'm also considering buying these wheels. Do you have any impressions on them now that you've been riding them for 6 months or so?

Thanks.

Mikesdubs

by Mikesdubs

Can i ask how every one who have opted for AR or WR rim brake wheelsets have found their braking with such wide wheels? Do R7000 or R8000 calipers for example have enough travel with such wide wheels to still have good braking feel and performance? Or do they struggle? Many thanks.

djstalca

by djstalca

1 week ago recieved my AR465. Still no test outside, but put on GP5000TL without any hasle and without any sealant and holding air no problem which i am really impressed. And no tubeless tape need it.... Had before DT Swiss wheel which need it every 3 days to be pumped... Cant recommend enough :)

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Luften wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:11 pm
bkerning wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:00 am

Great experience with the LB wheels so far. 4 weeks (total) from payment to delivery at my door in the US. Super easy to setup my new Conti 5000s tubeless, didn't need a tire lever or sealant. I did put some in just in case.

Only 300 miles on them but they definitely feel smoother/faster than my DT Swiss PR 1800s. Haven't had any issues crosswind yet.

I'll try and do a long term review
Hi bkerning, I'm also considering buying these wheels. Do you have any impressions on them now that you've been riding them for 6 months or so?

Thanks.
Not bkerning but I have a LOT of experience with light bicycle rims/wheels. I started building wheels with Light Bicycle rims in 2009. Since then I've built

5 sets of road wheels
3 sets of mtb wheels
1 gravel wheelset
My last two light bicycle purchases have been complete wheelset as it's actually hard to compete with their pricing if you are not getting stuff wholesale, might as well have them build them.
Anecdote #1. On my 27.5 trail wheels about three months in I had a rock punch a small hole in the side of the rim (in a non structural area) other than that they were fine so I patched the hole with a small bit of resin and put 5 years of hard riding on them without incident.
Anecdote # 2. Second ride on my AR36 (hooked) road wheels. Rolling home after a long day of base miles chatting with a friend and brain faded and rode right into a 4" high sharp edged concrete slab that had been displace by a tree root at about 20mph, a loud Clang...Clang and we both muttered "*f##k*". My friend and I are stopped looking at my wheels and could not believe I hadn't double flatted. He's like "how"? I said "I'm tubeless". We finished the ride, when I got home I pulled the tires off, nothing, not a nick on the rims, I was blown away. Also, my friend converted to tubeless soon after.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com