Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

charirider wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:47 am
Hi fellow weightweenies,
I have a question: does anyone has RAW UD finish falcon series rims?
Not finish-less falcon pro; regular falcon, but with NO PAINT (straight from the mold)?
Like this one posted earlier in this thread, but UD finish.
I have several sets of the Falcon series wheelsets with the raw UD finish.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Quick-buy AR56/DT350 disc wheelset with tax-prepaid shipping to EU took 23 days. I'd have preferred no-hole rimbead and satin finish etc, but got them few week faster at least. Weight is 1571g without rimtape.

Set them up with Continental GP5000 tires and latex tubes. 25mm in the front and 28mm at the back. After one ride, there was only minimal speed gain compared to WR45 wheels with Tufo Speedero 40mm(measured with 42mm), but it was very windy today. Handling felt fine even with strong sidewinds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NoPasaran

by NoPasaran

rawjunk wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:38 pm
Quick-buy AR56/DT350 disc wheelset with tax-prepaid shipping to EU took 23 days. I'd have preferred no-hole rimbead and satin finish etc, but got them few week faster at least. Weight is 1571g without rimtape.

Set them up with Continental GP5000 tires and latex tubes. 25mm in the front and 28mm at the back. After one ride, there was only minimal speed gain compared to WR45 wheels with Tufo Speedero 40mm(measured with 42mm), but it was very windy today. Handling felt fine even with strong sidewinds.
Hi there.
For AR56, would you mind measuring the width of the front tire when at your riding pressure, please? Does it stick out beyond the rim (105% rule)? Also, what is your riding pressure (your weight)?
How do you find AR56 generally?
I am asking because I consider buying them myself (but for rim brake).
Thanks in advance!

alanyu

by alanyu

NoPasaran wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:16 pm
Hi there.
For AR56, would you mind measuring the width of the front tire when at your riding pressure, please? Does it stick out beyond the rim (105% rule)? Also, what is your riding pressure (your weight)?
Thanks in advance!
I have rim brake AR56, 28 external width version. 26 mm Pzero race TLR measures 27.2 mm @ 75~80 psi after a long mileage. GP5000 S TR 25c is mounted on AR46, and measured 26.6 mm after a long mileage.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

NoPasaran wrote:
rawjunk wrote:

Hi there.
Thanks in advance!
27,8mm in the front @ 5,5 bar and 30,4mm in the back @ 5 bar after one ride. Bike + rider + gear is around 100 kg.

I can't really tell much at this point, I need to ride them more. I just thought they are reasonably priced with DT350 hubs and have good profile.

NoPasaran

by NoPasaran

Thanks, alanyu
Thanks, rawjunk
this is helpful! :beerchug:

charirider

by charirider

soonerrebel wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:00 pm
charirider wrote:
Hi fellow weightweenies,
Not finish-less falcon pro; regular falcon, but with NO PAINT (straight from the mold)?
Would you kindly share some photos here, please?
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

toephi

by toephi

malizeus wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:24 pm
toephi wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 am
hartmannce wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:25 pm
toephi wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:09 pm
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about buying my first set of carbon wheels after riding alloy wheels for the last 3 years. I'm torn between the R45 and R55 with Bitex hubs. Anyone got some advice? Is the aero benefit of the R55 noticable compared to the R45? I thought of going with the Bitex RAF12 in the front because of the larger bearings but I'm still undecided what to go for in the back. The Bitex RAR9, RAR12, RAR13 and RAR16 all are pretty similar.
Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Why do you consider buying R45-55? Those rims have smaller inner width of the rim, while most of the guys here buy LB rims because of their wider rims - for road it is recommended to have at least 21mm inner width if you plan to run 25c tires. Tire tends to baloon out on a narrower rim, when a wider rim streches the tire and supports its sidewalls better, giving you better handling and less rolling resistance (in theory, at least).
As far as I understand - you chose those rims due to the rim brake frame you have. So your main concern and limiting factor would be the maximum measured width of inflated tire, which can be fitted to your frame, as well as the maximum width of the rim on the brake track - which is limited by the model of the rim brake callipers you have.

If you can fit a 28mm wide rim into the brake calliper, and the frame fits a tire with measured width ±30mm - go with AR46, AR45 or AR55.
I'm riding this Canyon Endurace frame but with Ultegra 6800. I don't think I have enough clearence even when I buy some R8000 calipers or does anyone ride this exact setup?
I have endurace cf sl 7 with shimano r7000 full groupset, using LB falcon pro AR55 with no issues
Would you share some pictures how the rims fit at the caliper?

mr.wulf

by mr.wulf

NoPasaran wrote:
rawjunk wrote:

Hi there.
Thanks in advance!

AR 56 rims (23 inner, 30 outer width)

Front Continental GP 5000, 25c with 5.0 bar comes out at 28mm
Rear Continental GP 5000, 28c with 4.7 bar are 29.5mm wide

Tires are ridden now for ~1.000km
80kg riders wheight

AW84

by AW84

Looking for some new, wider rim-brake wheels, and just learned about LB. A few questions:

1) Has anyone experienced anything to suggest the brake track and rim itself won't last as long as any name-brand carbon wheel? I live in a fairly flat area and ride my wheels for years and many 10's of 1000's of miles without ever wearing out, so that is my barometer.

2) Is it worth buying the Falcon Pro rim over the Falcon? The Pro does appear to look nicer, but beyond that, any advantages?

3) I have DT350 internals in a set of Roval CL50 wheels I own and have been pretty satisfied with them. Is there any good reason to go DT240, or would I be satisified with the 350 to save some money? Maybe a Pro rim + 350 hub as a compromise in price to non-Pro rim + 240 hub?

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

charirider wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:09 am
soonerrebel wrote:
charirider wrote:
Hi fellow weightweenies,
I can, what exactly are you looking for? The pictures on the LB website show them pretty well.

charirider

by charirider

soonerrebel wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:45 pm
charirider wrote:
soonerrebel wrote:
charirider wrote:
Hi fellow weightweenies,
I can, what exactly are you looking for? The pictures on the LB website show them pretty well.
Just want to see the quality of raw finish.
Couldn't fond photo of raw falcons on lb website...

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

charirider wrote:Hi fellow weightweenies,
There is no raw UD Falcon series with no paint (clear coat).
The one you posted looks to be a satin clear coat on a 3k weave.

The paintless finish on the Pro series is because of the different manufacturing process and mold which doesn’t require a clear coat, hence paintless.
Also, the finish is not the only difference, they are stronger and more scratch resistant.

Technically they cannot make the Falcon series paintless. They all need to be sanded after they come out of the mold, since they would not be a “sellable” product without that last step.

The finish then is “perfect” after sanding, and then you can select a simple matte, satin, or gloss clear coat. I mean a gloss is essentially a matte or a satin finish, but with more passes. You are still seeing a “raw” finish on all those Falcon, but is just a perfect raw finish with a transparent (clear) coat.

That “raw” (imperfect) finish that everyone likes is when after the mold they are ready, which is a totally different manufacturing process.

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

charirider wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:51 am
soonerrebel wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:45 pm
charirider wrote:
soonerrebel wrote:

Just want to see the quality of raw finish.
Couldn't fond photo of raw falcons on lb website...
Ok I see. Hope I'm not misunderstanding but this is a picture, from the LB site, of the AR56 which is a Falcon series UD weave "matte" finish wheelset.
This shows the the finish accurately. Its got a slight gray look and appears to have no clear coat on the rim.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 22-39-09 AR56 Disc Carbon Road_CX_Gravel Wheelset - Light Bicycle.png

charirider

by charirider

Thank you!
But it seems to be "matte" finish; what I am looking for, is completely raw, strainght-of-the-mold regular falcon series rim, similar to stripped carbon frame with no paint applied.
Is it possible to order such rim? I will coat it with aerospace 303 and will ride as is

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com