Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pmprego

by pmprego

choochoo46 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 am
5DII wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:45 am
anyone get the DT350 with 36 ot 52 ratchet or do most people go with DT240 if they decide on 36 and 52 ratchets?
I got the 36T DT350s on my AR56s rather than the DT240s. $100 less but 100g heavier. If I had to do it again it would be a coin toss. In my most recent set of wheels (EIEcarbon) I got the weight weenie Extralite Cybers (rim brake). If I were to buy LB wheels again, I'd probably go with Carbon Ti, which don't need special tools for maintenance.
What type of maintenance does the carbon ti requires? I've read that these are more of a "summer hub".

CamW

by CamW

5DII wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:50 am
what type of weave/finish is this?
the matt/glossy UD looks solid black for a lot of the rims on the site but this has nice subtle carbon striations
As the other poster said it looks like their "raw/paintless" finish with unidirectional carbon. If you need to have a painted clearcoat in my experience a satin paint finish is probably the closest to this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cozmo85

by Cozmo85

scatsob wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:44 pm
Anyone have issues getting GP5Ks in WR rims? Their website said it could be done without leavers and that is not my experience at all. I had my first flat out in the wild and I got worried I would need to call for a ride. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mounted my gp5ks without levers. Slow and steady. Id hate to do it on the side of the road though.

5DII

by 5DII

Looking for a set of wheels for my classic steel rim brake mechanical shifting bike - have CK R45 hubs, debating whether to use H plus son archetype vs LB R25 rims. What do you guys think? The LB rim set would be about 120g lighter I think.

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

Archetypes are bomb proof and would look the part polished.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

pmprego wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:36 am
choochoo46 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 am
5DII wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:45 am
anyone get the DT350 with 36 ot 52 ratchet or do most people go with DT240 if they decide on 36 and 52 ratchets?
I got the 36T DT350s on my AR56s rather than the DT240s. $100 less but 100g heavier. If I had to do it again it would be a coin toss. In my most recent set of wheels (EIEcarbon) I got the weight weenie Extralite Cybers (rim brake). If I were to buy LB wheels again, I'd probably go with Carbon Ti, which don't need special tools for maintenance.
What type of maintenance does the carbon ti requires? I've read that these are more of a "summer hub".
Check out all the other WW postings on Carbon Ti. Looks like they now use sealed bearings. Seems like a perfect combo for your summer or race wheels. Hub can be loud though.

As I mentioned before I like the fact you don't need special tools for maintenance for the Carbon TI hubs. And they're very light.

I have the 18T DT350s on my cross bike and 36T DT350s in my training wheels. Have thousands of miles in each with no maintenance needed except greasing the rachets - which is easy to do. To change the bearings of the DTs you need the special tools. :(

steamroller

by steamroller

Pumablk wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:26 am
Pumablk wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:03 am
Pumablk wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm
Just ordered from China - WR50 flyweight, DT 240 EXP, 24h f/r, Sapim CX Ray/Sprint ds rear, no holes, no decals. Now the wait begins.
Wheels shipped this morning. Now the wait begins...again.
Got my wheels today. F - 633g + R - 742g

Now I need tires. Anyone have experience with Enve SES in either 27c or 29c? Do you know what they'll blow up to on the 25 internal width?
Nice! about to pull trigger on pretty much same build but carbon-ti hubs. Keen to hear what you think when you've put some miles on them :)

musiclover

by musiclover

choochoo46 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:57 am
I have the 18T DT350s on my cross bike and 36T DT350s in my training wheels. Have thousands of miles in each with no maintenance needed except greasing the rachets
How do you know when to grease the ratchets?
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

vongarces

by vongarces

Any ride reviews yet on the AR 465 with X-flows? Particularly interested as far as they’re susceptibility to crosswinds.

On their website about the x-flow profile:
The wave style X-Flow rims feature a reduced aero drag, boosted lateral stiffness, and greater impact resistance, compared to our traditional design road rims. We sent several R and AR counterparts along with the newly designed X-Flow rims for comparison, to a third-party testing institute using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). Based on the samples tested, removing crosswinds from the equation for a fair comparison, the X-Flow rims perform the best.

Are they saying they suck when taking into account crosswinds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RDY

by RDY

vongarces wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:56 am
Any ride reviews yet on the AR 465 with X-flows? Particularly interested as far as they’re susceptibility to crosswinds.

On their website about the x-flow profile:
The wave style X-Flow rims feature a reduced aero drag, boosted lateral stiffness, and greater impact resistance, compared to our traditional design road rims. We sent several R and AR counterparts along with the newly designed X-Flow rims for comparison, to a third-party testing institute using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). Based on the samples tested, removing crosswinds from the equation for a fair comparison, the X-Flow rims perform the best.

Are they saying they suck when taking into account crosswinds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Essentially they're saying they suck in anything that isn't a 0 degree headwind or 180 tailwind ...

Any 'fair comparison' of aero drag on rims / wheels includes multiple yaw angles and ideally speeds too.

pmprego

by pmprego

Actually, they are probably not saying that. I think they didn't have access or didn't want to pay for testing in a place where different yaw angles were possible. There is no logical reason to assume the wheels perform worst than a similar standard rim. If that would be the case then the zipps or Princeton would also have a similar problem.

5DII

by 5DII

Do you guys think LB is worth the ~$200 price premium over Farsports (shipping charge)?

jencvo

by jencvo

5DII wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:05 pm
Do you guys think LB is worth the ~$200 price premium over Farsports (shipping charge)?
LB offers a lot more customization and has more modern rim options in terms of width, etc. Comes at higher cost though and shipping can take forever.

garbageman

by garbageman

pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:28 pm
Actually, they are probably not saying that. I think they didn't have access or didn't want to pay for testing in a place where different yaw angles were possible. There is no logical reason to assume the wheels perform worst than a similar standard rim. If that would be the case then the zipps or Princeton would also have a similar problem.
Why would you assume that? The Zipps and Princetons are variable depth, the LB rims have variable width with constant depth. You can't draw any conclusions about the X-flow design from the Zipp or Princeton designs; they are not similar.

pmprego

by pmprego

garbageman wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:53 pm
pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:28 pm
Why would you assume that? The Zipps and Princetons are variable depth, the LB rims have variable width with constant depth. You can't draw any conclusions about the X-flow design from the Zipp or Princeton designs; they are not similar.
I understand that. Yet... If Zipp says "this is inspired in Wales" people will say "awesome" but if a Chinese company says what they said it is not believable. Just as specialized saying it's x amount of seconds faster. Or any other brand saying that their wheels are faster than the competition. All of those are claims that cannot be really verified.

But one does however he/she/they wants.

In my case, I try to get averages. If people with the X-flow 375 or 465 can confirm inner width, hook width and maximum width I'll be more than fine. On top of that which tires are using and their real measured width than it's just perfect.

The same goes for the wr40.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com