Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Luften

by Luften

Thanks @OnTheRivet. They do appear to be high quality in general, and your experience confirms that. I'm particularly interested in the x-flow shape though, and how that rim shape rides compared to other wheels.

So @bkerning and @djstalca, I'd love to get your thoughts on your sets, and versus what other wheels you've ridden.

I'm considering the AR465 with Carbon-Ti hubs. I've decided on a CX-Ray/CX-Sprint combo on the rear and CX-Ray in front, but still unsure between the featherweight or normal version of the rim.

Cheers!

djstalca

by djstalca

Hello,
AR465 owner here. Today was my first short cold ride with some intervals climbing. This are my first carbon wheelset so i can't compare it to anything other than Dtswiss shallow 300 USD-ish alloy rims.
Build: carbon-ti, cx-ray spokes

I am really impressed. No flex and i am 96kg cyclist and still really comfortable ride... Like i said in previous comments i am running GP 5000 TL and only with levers put it on under 2 minutes...Sure i will test for crosswinds in summer :) And one more thing i really like matt finish on this wheels which hides curves and make wheels more subtle. Other finish i would recommend probably is matt braided UD. :)

About carbon-ti hubs i only can say wow... only thing i notice there was a lot of talking about on this forum is that is too loud. I dont know who did this (Lightbicycle or Carbon-ti) mine came near death silent and someone already grease it. No problem with engaging though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evildead

by evildead

Great bike!

What size of GP 5000 TL are you running? Could you measure their actual size on the AR465? Thanks!!

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Just to add Iv been speaking to lightbicycle about the AR56 and they can offer these in a stronger HD version at 50grams heavier

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Hi, sorry for all the questions lately but every time I keep going to confirm my order I doubt my rim choice.
I originally planned on the AR56/30, I will be running strictly a 28c tyre. However I keep debating on the WR50, AR55 and now I'm even looking at the WR65 🤦🏼‍♂️
Which rim would be most stable in crosswinds? As on some of my more open routes it can get a bit lively.
Not sure if the WR65 is a bit too deep as it's fairly hilly here my go to loop is about 800ft every 10miles. Weight isn't sure much the issue as I'm 90kg and my bike isn't the lightest just looking for something that feels fast and stable
Thanks

djstalca

by djstalca

evildead wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:54 pm
Great bike!

What size of GP 5000 TL are you running? Could you measure their actual size on the AR465? Thanks!!
Both tires at 60PSI and size 28mm
Front older tires around 9 months size: 29,40 mm
Rear new at 28,92 mm

ReactoScultura

by ReactoScultura

Anybody has the DTswiss PRC1400 Splines 65?
Whats your experiences?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 7 plus met Tapatalk

emotive

by emotive

daninplymouth wrote:Hi, sorry for all the questions lately but every time I keep going to confirm my order I doubt my rim choice.
I originally planned on the AR56/30, I will be running strictly a 28c tyre. However I keep debating on the WR50, AR55 and now I'm even looking at the WR65 Image
Which rim would be most stable in crosswinds? As on some of my more open routes it can get a bit lively.
Not sure if the WR65 is a bit too deep as it's fairly hilly here my go to loop is about 800ft every 10miles. Weight isn't sure much the issue as I'm 90kg and my bike isn't the lightest just looking for something that feels fast and stable
Thanks
I had WR50 with 28mm Vittoria Corsa Comtrol G2.0 tubeless for a year and have now moved these tyres onto WR65. They measure 30.9mm wide at 70psi.

I thought I would only use the WR65 for calm days and ride my AR36 on windier days. But I’ve found that due to the close tyre to wheel width match the side wind handling is very predictable, and I ride them on anything but a few days a year where there is a strong wind warnings.

I weigh 80kg and do some weight training so I have good upper body strength and confident bike control. If you said you were 65kg or less I’d probably suggest the WR50, but I think you will be fine with WR65. I cannot feel the weight difference, nor see it in my climb speeds. But I can hit higher top speeds descending on the WR65, and have set new PRs, so the depth makes a difference to the aero.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

emotive wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:59 am
daninplymouth wrote:Hi, sorry for all the questions lately but every time I keep going to confirm my order I doubt my rim choice.
I originally planned on the AR56/30, I will be running strictly a 28c tyre. However I keep debating on the WR50, AR55 and now I'm even looking at the WR65 Image
Thanks
I had WR50 with 28mm Vittoria Corsa Comtrol G2.0 tubeless for a year and have now moved these tyres onto WR65. They measure 30.9mm wide at 70psi.

I thought I would only use the WR65 for calm days and ride my AR36 on windier days. But I’ve found that due to the close tyre to wheel width match the side wind handling is very predictable, and I ride them on anything but a few days a year where there is a strong wind warnings.

I weigh 80kg and do some weight training so I have good upper body strength and confident bike control. If you said you were 65kg or less I’d probably suggest the WR50, but I think you will be fine with WR65. I cannot feel the weight difference, nor see it in my climb speeds. But I can hit higher top speeds descending on the WR65, and have set new PRs, so the depth makes a difference to the aero.
Thanks for that, can I ask how many spokes you have?
I was planning on using DT240 EXP but lb only have these available in 24h, I'd think these be enough on the 50or65mm rims but in a perfect world I think I'd like 28h for the rear. So I either have to go with 24h or swap the hubs out to dt350 which add weight and I'd like to keep them around 1500g

emotive

by emotive

daninplymouth wrote: Thanks for that, can I ask how many spokes you have?
I was planning on using DT240 EXP but lb only have these available in 24h, I'd think these be enough on the 50or65mm rims but in a perfect world I think I'd like 28h for the rear. So I either have to go with 24h or swap the hubs out to dt350 which add weight and I'd like to keep them around 1500g
I went 28h on the WR50 and 24h on the WR65. They were out of 24h hubs at the time so I switched to 28h. You can always upgrade the driveside to stronger CX Sprint spokes as an inbetween compromise with only a small weight increase.

Luften

by Luften

djstalca wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Hello,
AR465 owner here. Today was my first short cold ride with some intervals climbing. This are my first carbon wheelset so i can't compare it to anything other than Dtswiss shallow 300 USD-ish alloy rims.
Build: carbon-ti, cx-ray spokes

I am really impressed. No flex and i am 96kg cyclist and still really comfortable ride... Like i said in previous comments i am running GP 5000 TL and only with levers put it on under 2 minutes...Sure i will test for crosswinds in summer :) And one more thing i really like matt finish on this wheels which hides curves and make wheels more subtle. Other finish i would recommend probably is matt braided UD. :)

About carbon-ti hubs i only can say wow... only thing i notice there was a lot of talking about on this forum is that is too loud. I dont know who did this (Lightbicycle or Carbon-ti) mine came near death silent and someone already grease it. No problem with engaging though.
Wow yeah you can't see the rim pattern at all. Very stealth. I like the look of the paintless finish as well.

warthog101

by warthog101

Looking at getting some WR50 wheels for my gravel bike.
DT Swiss 350 hubs.
Sapim CX ray spokes.
Brass nipples.
I am thinking hooked rather than hookless rims.
The max pressure for a 28c tyre on the hookless is listed as 55psi.
I like to run higher than that in a 28c.
I can see these wheels maybe running 28 or 30c tyres as a second set of road wheels at times, so when I travel I can use the revolt for bitumen and gravel if I so desire. Better not to cart 2 bikes around if I don't need to.

Anyone see a problem with that spec or have any other suggestions?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have these rims (flyweight) build on Carbon Ti. I run 28mm on the front, 30mm rear and use them as dedicated good weather road wheel. If I were to use them as a travel wheel, I would want tires larger than 28mm, just too much exposed rim. When I travel, unfamiliar roads can mean some surprises in the way of gravel construction zones, etc. 30mm are big enough to protect the rim without violating the 105% rule too badly. And even though I find these wheels very stable in cross winds, I also might prefer a shallower wheel when travelling, but I guess it depends where you travel. If you are climbing above the tree line you could have serious issues on a windy day. For shallower wheels, the WR35 or WR38 offer the same width dimensions. (It is beyond me why LB offer these two nearly identical rims.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

warthog101

by warthog101

Mr.Gib wrote:I have these rims (flyweight) build on Carbon Ti. I run 28mm on the front, 30mm rear and use them as dedicated good weather road wheel. If I were to use them as a travel wheel, I would want tires larger than 28mm, just too much exposed rim. When I travel, unfamiliar roads can mean some surprises in the way of gravel construction zones, etc. 30mm are big enough to protect the rim without violating the 105% rule too badly. And even though I find these wheels very stable in cross winds, I also might prefer a shallower wheel when travelling, but I guess it depends where you travel. If you are climbing above the tree line you could have serious issues on a windy day. For shallower wheels, the WR35 or WR38 offer the same width dimensions. (It is beyond me why LB offer these two nearly identical rims.)
Thanks mate. Are yours hooked or hookless?

Deep rims are free speed on the road imo so would like them at least 50mm deep for that reason.
Always on them on the roadie, so not concerned about wind.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My WR50's are hooked. I wanted to be able to run Vittoria tires as I am obsessive about cornering grip and I haven't found better than the Vittoria Corsa range. FWIW, I did set up a friends hookless wheelset - they were actually Giant SL1 with Giant's tires and I found the interface between tire and rim to be perfectly secure. I would have complete confidence in any hookless wheel combo that came together that nicely. Very impressive.

Yes, free speed is why I went for the 50's but I don't really follow your lack of concern about wind. It's on the road where things can get scary, especially if you are on the lighter side. Ventoux on the wrong day, or any big pass for that matter can force you off your bike. Like I said, it depends where you are riding.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com