Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ms6073

by ms6073

kroem wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:03 pm
But it's the recommend max, and wanted it that way. I don't have floor pump at my hotel and wanted the max in before a ride in the morning.
Sure, understandable. As an aside for future reference, as you have already experienced, the max tire pressure value printed/embossed on a tire is the absolute pressure beyond which the manfuacture has tested the tire and above which the tire can suffer from and/or induce a catastrophic failure. The max pressure is not meant to indicate the pressure to which the tire should be inflated for a ride. :smartass: :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kilo

by kilo

pkaro wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:44 pm
kilo wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:19 am
hello, does anyone know when LB is going to do black friday?
"The Black Friday promotion this year on our webshop(lightbicycle.com) starts from November 22th and end up on November 26th"
ok,best regards
:thumbup: :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flooffypie

by flooffypie

berest wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:08 pm
pkaro wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:44 pm
kilo wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:19 am
hello, does anyone know when LB is going to do black friday?
"The Black Friday promotion this year on our webshop(lightbicycle.com) starts from November 22th and end up on November 26th"
What is the approx amount of discount/sales do they offer on Black Friday?
From them

Hi! Our Black Friday discount is 15% discount for the pro rims wheelset, 10% discount for the non pro rims and wheelset, 10% discount for the frame.

musiclover

by musiclover

kroem wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:22 pm
morganb wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:11 pm
How high did you pump it up? I haven't seen a failure like that on these rims before. It looks like the entire rim is destroyed.
I was at abt 6.5 when I heard cracking... Yeah the whole rim is f**ked.
And some people told me that hookless is a recipy for disaster just above, hooked - here you go.

That also reminds me of the second benefit of the drain holes.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

Attermann

by Attermann

Don't blame hooks on what is a potential bad tape job, so the rim got pressurised too.

JohnnyC91

by JohnnyC91

Ordered a set of rims from lightbicycle yesterday. I went with R45 25mm wide rims as I was worried about clearance on my frame. For reference my bike is a 2015 cube agree GTC race with Ultegra BR-6800. Just wondering now is there anywhere I can check frame clearance for definite. I wanted to go for the AR 28mm wide rims with 25mm tyres but worried they wouldn't fit. The clearance issue is between the bottom of fork and top of tyres as I previously tried to fit 28mm tyres to my current 17mm. Thinking about it now though would a wider rim negate this issue I.e less height. Wondering should I have gone for the 28mm rim.

berest

by berest

Ordered AR46 rims today. Hook, 20/24h, Grooved Graphene Surface, Satin, UD, Blank, Drain Holes, Access Holes. Lets see how long does it take to produce before being shipped.

flooffypie

by flooffypie

Ordered 4 Nov, shipped 10 Nov!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Attermann wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:29 am
Don't blame hooks on what is a potential bad tape job, so the rim got pressurised too.
Air leak into the rim destroy a rim once again. But this case is not bad tape job...
There is no hole on the rim bed. So no rim tape required. However, I suspect air escape in there through the bad rubber gasget around the valve stem will do the same thing.
kroem wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:43 pm
Oh well... I guess I pumped too much...
Look where it tears. The damage is not limited to just bead hook. But near the spoke holes as well. That's as clear as day that you didn't just pump up the tire but you pump the pressure inside the rim (near spoke holes) as well. Carbon rim doesn't build to keep pressurized air inside. Any rim will explode out if air get inside the rim and can't get out fast enough. The way to prevent this is to give the air some way out if your rim tape or rubber piece at the valve doesn't do its job of keeping air inside tire chamber only and not into the rim. Either drill holes or use valve nut allow air out can prevent the damage.

Air pressurize rim wall from the inside and tear it apart is a classic problem by now.
Enve already released "Enve pressure relief valve stem nut" and all tubeless users should use it or something similar IMO.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The pressurized rim explosion thing has me wondering how air can get trapped by the valve stem nut. The pressure relief nut from Enve is a great idea, but even a regular nut should allow air to escape. It's a flat nut sitting on a curved surface, surely there is enough of a gap to allow air to escape? I can rattle mine back and forth even though the nut is screwed down tight. Maybe the profile of some rims allows for a more complete seal? Perhaps a good idea to leave out that little rubber O ring?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

Luckily it exploded in your hotel room and not out on the road.

musiclover

by musiclover

Someone mentioned drilling drain holes... Are you really able to do it? How do you know the exact spot? If you miss it will be a disaster. How do you know that the wall will not explode and there is no delamination as the drill come out?

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

musiclover wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:50 am
Someone mentioned drilling drain holes... Are you really able to do it? How do you know the exact spot? If you miss it will be a disaster. How do you know that the wall will not explode and there is no delamination as the drill come out?
That why you order them with drain holes pre drilled. Just a small hole in the rim that will release water if it gets inside through the spoke holes etc.

musiclover

by musiclover

Yes, I understand that. But default option is no drain hole and you need to ask for it. Thus, one may not know about it when ordering first set (like me).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kroem

by kroem

Cyclingintherain wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:33 am
Luckily it exploded in your hotel room and not out on the road.
Absolutely! Happiely no damage to me (other than to my soul...).

I added a drain hole to my new rim :)
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)