Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rides4beer

by rides4beer

85L wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:17 pm
Hello,
Interested in one deeper new wheelset to complete my Zipp 303 clincher disc.
I'm looking to LB 56mm deep 30mm wide but hesitate between Chris King R45D hubs vs DT240s. Or Enve 5.6. Or 404...
Any advice ? I'm clearly loosing my mind here !
Do you like a really loud freehub? Then get the CK. If you like it quieter, get the DT, the 18t ratchet it comes with is fairly quiet. You can also upgrade the ratchet in the DT for something a lil louder with the 36t (sounds similar to most other freehubs), or really loud with the 54t (that'll sound similar to the CK). You also get quicker engagement with the higher tooth count ratchets, but that's not really a big deal on the road. I have two wheelsets with DT350 hubs and they've been fantastic, and the maintenance is super easy (the internals between the 350 and 240 are the same, they just machine more weight off of the 240). I'll be sticking with DTs. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

DT ratchet hubs can go from silent to extremely loud depending on how much grease you put in the ratchets. I found that the 18/36/54 ratchet kits change the pitch of the sound but not the overall "loudness"

85L

by 85L

Thanx rides4beer !
You point it well when you notice I like loud freehub. Your advice is very precious about that, thanx. I'm dreaming of the CK only for it's sound. But I'm pushing so much on the pedals that I would not have so many occasions to heard it :D
I admit I'm quite surprised that DTswiss 54t is as loud as CK. Regarding the easy maintenance, the 240 with 54t might be a good deal for me. Except if the CK is easy to service ?

Visus

by Visus

If you like a loud freehub go with Carbon-Ti (they now also offer centerlock). LB will happily offer you Carbon-Ti if you ask them.

Louder, lighter and easier to service than CK

Go with CK if you really like the brand
I don‘t see a reason to go for DT240, too expensive for what it is. 350 is a good budget option.

85L

by 85L

Thanx Visus

I'm a little worried about another kind of loudness. My old 404 firecrest with U profile made a wonderful airflow noise when cruising. Sometimes I had the feeling to have a 88mm deep V-profile rim. I'm wondering if the LB 56mm-30mm Vprofile make this noise ? Due to deep or U or V profile or golfball surface ? I'm wondering if the V-profile 56-30 is that aero comparing to the 58-26 U-profile :roll:

musiclover

by musiclover

Hi,

I have registered on the forum first and foremost because there is a big LB community here.

So, I am planning to buy WR50 as my Boardman Endurance disc 9.2 has very good clearances, now I use 28mm tyres and plan to use 32mm with it. The application will be mostly commuting in style with most of tarmac and some gravel bits.

I want to go no holes to avoid some pain with tape and DT Swiss 350 mostly because LB price for 240 is way over the market price, but also because of the general cost of wheels.

Which leads me to most important questions about trying to save on this purchase:
1. Have you used their discount codes and if so, to which value and how you obtained them?
2. I notice there are lots of hidden costs (delivery, 'handling' fee 3.5%, tax?). What is the cheapest way to buy them? I understand LB declares value around $350 USD, have you paid any GST or other taxes when recieving them in Australia?
3. Were you able to avoid or decrease delivery fee?
4. Have you tried paying with WU? Was it cheaper than 3.5%?
5. Have you been able to remove decals from DT swiss hubs yourself? Is it easy to do?
6. If I request to possible pick a lighter rim (-15 gr) will it affect structure negatively?

Thank you for your help. The reason why I try to save so desparately is because I share finances with my wife and it is extremely hard to justify for her a purchase of wheels for $1500-1600 a pair. Any cent saved on that counts for me.

PS a bit off subject, unable to link my strava to profile, says my number is over 100000 or smth like that.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

ms6073

by ms6073

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:41 pm
DT ratchet hubs can go from silent to extremely loud depending on how much grease you put in the ratchets.
Topic drift but if you over pack with DT's grease, the 54 tooth star ratchets are almost completely silent. Of course with that amount of grease, the star ratchets do not engage properly so the freehub just freewheels. :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

dcorn wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:03 pm
My 46mm x 28mm LB wheels were delivered yesterday! 7 days to go from China to NY, one day from NY to DC to my door. They ended up below the estimated weight and I hadn't taken the tape off the freehub or the 10speed spacer, which is maybe a gram or two I'm sure. 1522g for DT350 hubs, brass nipples, aero spokes, and rim brake rims.

I really want to run these tubeless, but don't have the right tires and don't want to spend another 100 bucks right now. I mounted up some 25c GP4000 IIS that I had on another set of wheels and they measured 28.6mm wide. (Just for giggles, I mounted a 23c Conti tire tubeless and it inflated with just a hand pump and measured 28mm wide!)

I am looking at exactly the same configuration, so I wanted to ask if you could share your thoughts after riding these wheels for a few months now?

For reference I am 77 kgs, riding in varied, mostly rolling terrain (no big mountains) and with a bit of wind most often. Also they will be mounted on an aluminium bike, just like yours.

dcorn

by dcorn

happyon2wheels wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:38 pm
I am looking at exactly the same configuration, so I wanted to ask if you could share your thoughts after riding these wheels for a few months now?

For reference I am 77 kgs, riding in varied, mostly rolling terrain (no big mountains) and with a bit of wind most often. Also they will be mounted on an aluminium bike, just like yours.
I'm 93kg, so I'm definitely abusing these wheels haha. They've been holding up well. The dry braking is really good with the blue LB pads, but I had a race during a downpour and the braking was scary, so I'm never riding these in the rain again. I can definitely feel some push from crosswinds, so they aren't immune by any means, but not terrible. I can hear a little brake rub from the front wheel during hard efforts, so I either need to center my brakes or I might have the spoke tension checked in case they wheels 'settled in' a bit. I don't feel any hub play though.

I'd get them again, I say they were definitely worth the price over a more name brand set.

emotive

by emotive

musiclover wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:15 am
Hi,

I have registered on the forum first and foremost because there is a big LB community here.

So, I am planning to buy WR50 as my Boardman Endurance disc 9.2 has very good clearances, now I use 28mm tyres and plan to use 32mm with it. The application will be mostly commuting in style with most of tarmac and some gravel bits.

I want to go no holes to avoid some pain with tape and DT Swiss 350 mostly because LB price for 240 is way over the market price, but also because of the general cost of wheels.
I went with DT350 on my WR50 too. Very happy so far after 3 months of use.
Which leads me to most important questions about trying to save on this purchase:
1. Have you used their discount codes and if so, to which value and how you obtained them?
Yes, they have a discount code on their website from time to time, beased on seasonal promotions. Just ask if there are any codes available now.
2. I notice there are lots of hidden costs (delivery, 'handling' fee 3.5%, tax?). What is the cheapest way to buy them? I understand LB declares value around $350 USD, have you paid any GST or other taxes when recieving them in Australia?
No GST or other taxes paid on mine, delivered to Melbourne.
3. Were you able to avoid or decrease delivery fee?
No.
4. Have you tried paying with WU? Was it cheaper than 3.5%?
No
5. Have you been able to remove decals from DT swiss hubs yourself? Is it easy to do?
I have not tried to remove the DT decals, but you could ask them to do it before they assemble the wheels. I did ask them to paint the hubs white to match my frame. They were willing to send them to the factory where I purchased my frame in China for painting, but they were not able to arrange the painting directly.
6. If I request to possible pick a lighter rim (-15 gr) will it affect structure negatively?
I don't expect so. These are strong rims, you won't find any LB rim failure posts anywhere on WW or any other forum, they are built to last.

musiclover

by musiclover

Thank you very much fellow Australian. I wanted to thank you for your answers via PM but that function is blocked for me at the moment.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

Beaver

by Beaver

85L wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:46 pm
Thanx Visus

I'm a little worried about another kind of loudness. My old 404 firecrest with U profile made a wonderful airflow noise when cruising. Sometimes I had the feeling to have a 88mm deep V-profile rim. I'm wondering if the LB 56mm-30mm Vprofile make this noise ? Due to deep or U or V profile or golfball surface ? I'm wondering if the V-profile 56-30 is that aero comparing to the 58-26 U-profile :roll:
The Carbon Ti Hubs with 56 POE are quite loud, too much for my taste in the beginning, also as it sounds quite metallic, but this will fade with time. https://youtu.be/s_34UyHakh4?t=450

The sound of the rims is the resonance within them. The more volume the rim has, the louder it gets. Dimples have no influence here - as on aerodynamics (they won't help on the rim, only on the tire). ;) Depending on tire width (e.g. 23mm tire on the 26mm rim, 28mm tire on the 30mm rim) the aerodynamic differences between the two rims will be marginal.

Jugi

by Jugi

Carbon rim's noise is a peculiar thing. In my experience, one of the loudest amplifiers of free hub ratchet noise have been 50mm deep FFWD rims in a traditional V-shape and with an outer width of 19mm. They gave a really positive "clunk" when engaging a bigger gear while keeping pressure on the chain, but tire noise wasn't anything special. Another good example of that was an Easton EC90 SL rim at 38mm deep and same kind of a 19-20mm outer width, which also amplified bearing noise when they were going out.

Some other rims may not emit so much noise from the hub, but do amplify a consistent roar from the tires.

My subjective feel from RR56C02, RRU45T02 and RRU65C02 is that LB's rims are relatively quiet although they are rather large in volume.

djel

by djel

I ended up purchasing a 2020 Focus Izalco disc and the maximum width (for the tires) is 28mm but many reviews confirm it goes to 30mm.

With that in mind, I've asked LB if they can build a lightweight set of disc clinchers under 1500g. They quoted me $1,200 USD for a pair of AR46 with Carbon Ti hubs which is roughly $1,800 AUD.

Are there any other options in the $900-$1000 USD price range? I already own a pair of LB clinchers (38mm rim brake) that I only paid $600 USD with Bitex hubs but for the exact same weight...I'd feel bad paying twice that for the same weight...The HUNT 50 Carbon Aero Disc are ~$950 USD but heavier at 1487g. I think this model had pretty negative reviews in term of the aerodynamics though.
-Rims: AR46 disc, no brake surface for road disc, 28mm wide/46mm deep, 24H/24H, UD matte, no decal
-Hubs: black, Caron Ti X-Hub SP Disc hubs, road disc, front 12*100mm/rear 12*142mm, straight pull, center lock, Sram XDR, 56T
-Spokes: black, Sapim CX-Ray ( bladed )
-Nipples: black, aluminum

Wheelset cost: USD1092.40 /pair, weight: 1373g±25 /pair

Shipping cost: USD71 for one pair of wheelset from China to the US. by EMS

Total cost: USD1204.12=1092.40+71+40.72 ( 3.5% Paypal fee )

emotive

by emotive

djel wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:48 am
I ended up purchasing a 2020 Focus Izalco disc and the maximum width (for the tires) is 28mm but many reviews confirm it goes to 30mm.

With that in mind, I've asked LB if they can build a lightweight set of disc clinchers under 1500g. They quoted me $1,200 USD for a pair of AR46 with Carbon Ti hubs which is roughly $1,800 AUD.

Are there any other options in the $900-$1000 USD price range? I already own a pair of LB clinchers (38mm rim brake) that I only paid $600 USD with Bitex hubs but for the exact same weight...I'd feel bad paying twice that for the same weight...The HUNT 50 Carbon Aero Disc are ~$950 USD but heavier at 1487g. I think this model had pretty negative reviews in term of the aerodynamics though.
-Rims: AR46 disc, no brake surface for road disc, 28mm wide/46mm deep, 24H/24H, UD matte, no decal
-Hubs: black, Caron Ti X-Hub SP Disc hubs, road disc, front 12*100mm/rear 12*142mm, straight pull, center lock, Sram XDR, 56T

Wheelset cost: USD1092.40 /pair, weight: 1373g±25 /pair

Shipping cost: USD71 for one pair of wheelset from China to the US. by EMS

Total cost: USD1204.12=1092.40+71+40.72 ( 3.5% Paypal fee )
-Rims: AR56 disc, no brake surface for road disc, 30mm wide/56mm deep, 24H/24H, UD matte, no decal
-Hubs: black, DT350 Disc hubs, road disc, front 12*100mm/rear 12*142mm, straight pull, center lock, Sram XDR, 18T

Wheelset cost: USD784 /pair, weight: 1557g±25 /pair

OR

-Rims: WR50 disc, no brake surface for road disc, 32mm wide/50mm deep, 24H/24H, UD matte, no decal
-Hubs: black, DT350 Disc hubs, road disc, front 12*100mm/rear 12*142mm, straight pull, center lock, Sram XDR, 18T

Wheelset cost: USD976 /pair, weight: 1577g±25 /pair

The deeper and wider AR56 wheels will provide more aerodynamic speed than the 184g of extra weight will slow you down from the AR46. I have a 1500g set of AR36 and a 1600g set of WR50. I run 30mm measured tyres on both wheelsets. I've done 12,000km on the AR36, and only 1,200km on the WR50. The 1600g wider and deeper WR50 wheels are noticeably faster. I know this is WW, but unless you are racing hill climbs, don't trade 180g for less aero wheels.

If you plan to run 28mm or 29mm measured tyres, the AR56 will be faster than the WR50.
If you plan to make full use of the Izalco Disc clearance and run a 30mm (measured width) tyre, the WR50 will be faster than the AR56.

Either way there should only be 3-5W difference between the AR56 and WR50 wheelsets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com