Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
djstalca

by djstalca

djstalca wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Hello,
AR465 owner here. Today was my first short cold ride with some intervals climbing. This are my first carbon wheelset so i can't compare it to anything other than Dtswiss shallow 300 USD-ish alloy rims.
Build: carbon-ti, cx-ray spokes

I am really impressed. No flex and i am 96kg cyclist and still really comfortable ride... Like i said in previous comments i am running GP 5000 TL and only with levers put it on under 2 minutes...Sure i will test for crosswinds in summer :) And one more thing i really like matt finish on this wheels which hides curves and make wheels more subtle. Other finish i would recommend probably is matt braided UD. :)

About carbon-ti hubs i only can say wow... only thing i notice there was a lot of talking about on this forum is that is too loud. I dont know who did this (Lightbicycle or Carbon-ti) mine came near death silent and someone already grease it. No problem with engaging though.
Nice bike! But get rid of those ultegra discs!
[/quote]
Better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Nice rotor, but get rid of those non drive side pictures!
(get the theme going)

biwa

by biwa

Any experience with the drain and access holes options? Do they work practically? A little concerned that they may cause unnecessary structural weaknesses.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The holes work just fine. Water enters through the spoke/nipple holes and exits through the drain holes. What's the concern about structural weakness? Your rim is already full of holes everywhere 😁

MagicShite

by MagicShite

biwa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:36 am
Any experience with the drain and access holes options? Do they work practically? A little concerned that they may cause unnecessary structural weaknesses.
The drain holes are reinforced with extra layer before drilling and not just "drilled" without any prep work.

They are safe.

However, I found that pebbles may enter it creating some rattling (if unlucky)

Unless you're big on tubeless, I find it unnecessary.

biwa

by biwa

MagicShite wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:46 am
Why is it more relevant for tubeless?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

because it is easy to deflate the tire and then take water out from the valve hole on tubed set up. You don't even need to remove tire and tube from the rim to dry it up but it's also quicker to dry if you do so.

But
1) tubeless set up have a valve nut that usually is tight to remove to let the water out.
2) it'll be a dirty affair if you have to deal with tubeless sealant as well.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

biwa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:03 pm
MagicShite wrote:
The drain hole prevents the rim cavity from becoming pressurized by either leaking tape or valve and blowing the carbon side wall out. This is a common failure on enve rims in particular.

biwa

by biwa

PeytonM wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:05 am
biwa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:03 pm
MagicShite wrote:
The drain hole prevents the rim cavity from becoming pressurized by either leaking tape or valve and blowing the carbon side wall out. This is a common failure on enve rims in particular.
That sounds a scary problem to have on tubeless..

warthog101

by warthog101

Hookless WR50 on the way.
No spoke holes in the rim bed.
Drain holes in the wheel as advised prior to ordering.
Not worried about gravel getting in there or the rim spontaneously exploding.
Looking forward to riding them though.
Gravel race wheels but may put road tyres on when we travel.
One bike and 2 sets of wheels.

oLLeg

by oLLeg

Hello everybody.
Purchased set of AR46 DT Swiss 240 EXP, draining holes, hexa-comb) during Black Friday and received in January. Wheels look nice, but I still to ride them as I did not have the bike with disk brakes to install.
New bike was pre-ordered in August and arrived a week ago, just before I left back to work.
As I intended to sell aluminium wheels which came with new bikes, had to swap tyres and brake disks. While was waiting LBS to start working, tried to swap tyre from front wheel ( Conti Grand Sport Race SL). It came suspisciously hard :)
LBS assisted with removing brake disks and after I returned home, I found that, apparently, brake disk on original wheels were installed with external thread lockring and LB wheels have internal ones. Had to cancell new wheel installation and swap tyre back ( at least could ride on the indoor trainer- weather still to wer for outside ride). It took me one broken tyre lever, 4 pinched tubes, broken finger nail. Tried all tick with soap etc. Managed, but imagine I have flat on the road. Would not be able to put spare tube.
I ride racing bikes for ages, since I was 15, but never had such experience where I cannot install tyre by fingers.
Thus I have a question for those who already have AR46. Which tyres are the easiset to install? I'm considering Conti 5000, not tubeless.
Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1155.jpeg
IMG_1153.jpeg
IMG_1156.jpeg
Last edited by oLLeg on Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aesch

by Aesch

oLLeg wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:46 am
Hello everybody.
Purchased set of AR46 DT Swiss 240 EXP, draining holes, hexa-comb) during Black Friday and received in January. Wheels looks nice, but I still to ride them as I did not have bike with disk brakes to install.
New bike was pre-ordered in August and arrived a week ago, just before I left back to work.
As I intended to sell aluminium wheels which came with new bikes. While was waiting LBS start working, tried to swap tyre from front wheel ( Conti Grand Sport Race SL). It c ame suspisciously hard :)
LBS assisted removint brake disks and after returned home, I found that, apparently, brake disk on original wheels were installed with external thread lockring and LB wheels have internal. Had to cancell new wheel installation and swap tyre back ( at least could ride on indoor trainer). It took me one broken tyre lever, 4 pinched tubes, broken finger nail. Tried all tick with soap etc. Managed, but imagine I have flat on the road. Would not put spare tube.
I ride racing bikes ages, since was 15, but never had such experience where I can jot install tyre by fingers.
Thus I have a question for those who already have AR46. Which tyres are the easiset to install? I'm considering Conti 5000, not tubeless.
Thanks.
Did you try to mount gp5k TL?

I have the same rims, pirelli zeros were easy to mount. Have good experience with vittoria too.

oLLeg

by oLLeg

Aesch wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:32 pm

I have the same rims, pirelli zeros were easy to mount. Have good experience with vittoria too.
No, I only tried those came with a bike. But may be have to buy Pirelli. Which Zeros exactly you mentioned?

tomycs

by tomycs

oLLeg wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:46 am
Thanks.
Never had an issue w. tubeless setup using Pirelli PZero Race TLR (26mm, my preferred tyre for my AR46). Also no issues w. GP5k or Schwalbe Pro Ones w. tubes.

oLLeg

by oLLeg

tomycs wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:32 pm
Never had an issue w. tubeless setup using Pirelli PZero Race TLR (26mm, my preferred tyre for my AR46). Also no issues w. GP5k or Schwalbe Pro Ones w. tubes.
Thank you. Ordered set of GP5K (with tubes. Will try them once I home end of May.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com