Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TTRV

by TTRV

The suppleness of Challenge tires is really great but true that they're the worst to fit on a rim.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Set of AR55 / DT350 / CX Ray / Aluminum nipples showed up. Ordered on 11/26 delivered 1/4. Was one of the quick buy options but they had run out of rims.

1578 g for the pair
858g rear
720g frontImage

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited by kafreeman on Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sennder

by sennder

Hello forum. I'm planning on finally pulling the trigger on the AR36 rim brake wheelset for my Trek Domane SLR. Specs:

Hubs: Bitex RAF10/RAR9 -- I've heard a lot of positives about these. Trying to go for a relatively lightweight build without breaking the bank so they make sense
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray
Nipples: Aluminium -- I ride ths bike pretty much only in dry weather, and roads around me are never salted
Bead: Hook -- Planning on starting with my current clinchers. May try tubeless down the line.
Brake surface: Grooved graphene surface
Finish: Matte with UD weave
Center channel holes: No holes -- I like the idea of skipping the rim tape (for both clincher and tubeless). I don't mind the extra effort for replacing nipples.
Drain hole: yes
Decal: stealth gray but only the light bicycle logo over the valve hole

Any thoughts on the specs?

Also, it seems they had a 15% discount on black friday that I missed. Do they have these discounts often or was this a one time thing?

Nooga

by Nooga

kafreeman wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:20 pm
Set of WR55 / DT350 / CX Ray / Aluminum nipples showed up. Ordered on 11/26 delivered 1/4. Was one of the quick buy options but they had run out of rims.

1578 g for the pair
858g rear
720g frontImage

WR 55?? Typo or real?

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Nooga wrote:
kafreeman wrote:
Set of WR55 / DT350 / CX Ray / Aluminum nipples showed up. Ordered on 11/26 delivered 1/4. Was one of the quick buy options but they had run out of rims.

1578 g for the pair
858g rear
720g frontImage

WR 55?? Typo or real?
TYPO! AR55. Amended the post.

spud

by spud

sennder wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 pm
Hello forum. I'm planning on finally pulling the trigger on the AR36 rim brake wheelset for my Trek Domane SLR. Specs:

Hubs: Bitex RAF10/RAR9 -- I've heard a lot of positives about these. Trying to go for a relatively lightweight build without breaking the bank so they make sense
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray
Nipples: Aluminium -- I ride ths bike pretty much only in dry weather, and roads around me are never salted
Bead: Hook -- Planning on starting with my current clinchers. May try tubeless down the line.
Brake surface: Grooved graphene surface
Finish: Matte with UD weave
Center channel holes: No holes -- I like the idea of skipping the rim tape (for both clincher and tubeless). I don't mind the extra effort for replacing nipples.
Drain hole: yes
Decal: stealth gray but only the light bicycle logo over the valve hole

Any thoughts on the specs?

Also, it seems they had a 15% discount on black friday that I missed. Do they have these discounts often or was this a one time thing?
wouldn't bother with Auminum nipples. They save less than 20 grams per wheel, and I've had them shear off at the base under fair weather usage.

Casio20

by Casio20

As I'm just starting my YouTube channel, I uploaded videos of the wr40 flyweight dtswiss 180 wheelset. In case you're having any questions or want to see more, please let me know, also if I should change anything, more videos will follow 😊

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4 ... q_5KMIOH5k

sennder

by sennder

spud wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:11 pm
wouldn't bother with Auminum nipples. They save less than 20 grams per wheel, and I've had them shear off at the base under fair weather usage.
Had another look at aluminium vs brass nipples and strong consensus seems to be for brass. Will go with that.

However, turns out the international warehouse (rim wheels are not stocked in the US warehouse) charges $100+ for shipping, pushing the wheels out of my budget. I'll wait for a sale for purchase.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

sennder wrote:
spud wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:11 pm
Had another look at aluminium vs brass nipples and strong consensus seems to be for brass. Will go with that.

However, turns out the international warehouse (rim wheels are not stocked in the US warehouse) charges $100+ for shipping, pushing the wheels out of my budget. I'll wait for a sale for purchase.
I've also had them shear. I built a set of wheels a couple years back with even tension all the way around and I've had three nipples fail so far. I've got a bunch of brass sitting around for failures.

Another wheelset that has been abused with brass nipples has had no failures.

Brass are far more durable in the long run.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Just an update on shipping times: ordered a quick buy Falcon Pro AR55 wheelset on Jan 4th and it was delivered today to Europe with the pre paid shipping option.

Very surprised how quick it was.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

windscreen

by windscreen

My order for Pro WR55 disc from the Global warehouse just arrived in Wisconsin, USA on 19 Jan, order placed on 16 Nov. They have a custom mix of CX-Ray and CX-Sprint spokes (CX-Sprint on DS rear, NDS front).

They entered layup on 22 Nov, felt like they sat in "sanding" forever starting on 23 Nov, building on 29 Dec (had a shortage of CX-Sprint spokes), and shipped on 6 Jan via MTS-Air. Shipping was strange at best, but fast; no tracking updates until they hit UPS on 13 Jan, and then showed as a package shipped from eBay in San Jose, CA.

I'm down with covid right now, but will post some pics, impressions and weights in the coming days as I build them up with 28 mm GP5000 S-TR.

-Steve

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Hope you feel better quick! Getting over it myself a week out.

MTS Air was odd... no updates for about 4 weeks for me then it shipped ups out of Chino CA.

cjm

by cjm

kafreeman wrote:
Set of AR55 / DT350 / CX Ray / Aluminum nipples showed up. Ordered on 11/26 delivered 1/4. Was one of the quick buy options but they had run out of rims.

1578 g for the pair
858g rear
720g frontImage

They look great, what tyres and size are you running on them?

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Conti 5000 28. Running tubes currently couldn't find any tubeless.

warthog101

by warthog101

Well just ordered a WR50 wheelset;
DT350
Sapim cx ray
Brass nipples
No access holes
Drain holes.

Given it has no access holes do I still need rim tape? I thought not so didn't order any.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com