Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rides4beer

by rides4beer

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm
I ordered a set of non-stock rim wheels on 2/23. They were finished yesterday (3/20) according to their tracking. What can I figure for over/under for US delivery time? (CN inland to overseas to US Customs to local delivery?)
Mine took six days from China to South Carolina. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Thanks for the warm fuzzy. Cool, I should have them for Barry Roubaix in a few weeks.

upside

by upside

I plan in building a low profile rim for a hilly area and the concern from crosswinds. Light Bicycle has a 280 degree brake surface which I am looking at and is 25mm depth which is perfect. They rae a custom order, so asking questions so I do not make a mistake. Does anyone here anything bad about that new surface,

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm
I ordered a set of non-stock rim wheels on 2/23. They were finished yesterday (3/20) according to their tracking. What can I figure for over/under for US delivery time? (CN inland to overseas to US Customs to local delivery?)
One month for the build? They say 2 weeks on their website. Any idea how long from the painting stage till it finished? I am on a kind of tight time frame for these wheels, and mine have been stuck at painting for the last few days.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I still haven’t gotten a tracking #, but there site says they’re finished. There were a few days delay in there because I changed the order to hookless rims, so that put me back a few days. Call it 3.5wks though. I see 2wks for nonstock, I assume 3wks.
Anyway, better to have options and wait than to pretend to have them (cough cough Canyon)

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:01 am
I still haven’t gotten a tracking #, but there site says they’re finished. There were a few days delay in there because I changed the order to hookless rims, so that put me back a few days. Call it 3.5wks though. I see 2wks for nonstock, I assume 3wks.
Anyway, better to have options and wait than to pretend to have them (cough cough Canyon)
Canyon? Didnt get that.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Canyon, in my observation, has an entire lineup that is never in stock and cannot be bought. I just checked, and they had everything, which is an exception. Til now, I hadn’t seen a AL or midrange bike in stock.

Jugi

by Jugi

deepakvrao wrote: One month for the build? They say 2 weeks on their website. Any idea how long from the painting stage till it finished? I am on a kind of tight time frame for these wheels, and mine have been stuck at painting for the last few days.
Based on my experience from two rim pairs I have ordered from LB, the production time is roughly 15 working days. Then 5 days more for shipping.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

Well I’m happy to say my LB 56mm Falcons have arrived and been paired with some Continental GP5000 25cc’s.

Measure 28.3mm on a 30mm rim. Perfecto!

Rims weighed in at 1528g and look totally nuts!! Very happy with the look and finish, balance and they’re very true. Haven’t had a chance to ride them yet but tomorrow morning will solve that problem.

ImageLB 56mm Falcons by Sleeprequired

maxwkh

by maxwkh

Sleeprequired wrote:Well I’m happy to say my LB 56mm Falcons have arrived and been paired with some Continental GP5000 25cc’s.

Rims weighed in at 1528g and look totally nuts!! Very happy with the look and finish, balance and they’re very true. Haven’t had a chance to ride them yet but tomorrow morning will solve that problem.

Is that the GP5k clincher or tubeless? No decals looks pretty good especially on that all stealth looking bike.

P/S: the seatpost/saddle looks like a bird head.

pkaro

by pkaro

bilwit wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:17 pm
pkaro wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 pm
Dear All,
I am back and forth between the 56mm and the 46mm wheels. I am building up a Canyon Aeroad with rim brakes (R8050 ultegra di2), and was wondering if the clearance between the brake pads is great enough to fit the 30mm wide 56mm wheels, if I would need to sand down the brake pads, or if it is simply not practical and I should settle for the 46mm. I assume the frame clearance would be sufficient for 30mm wide rims, am I correct in this assumption?

In either case I would probably run the 25mm GP 5k.

Thanks for your advice.
rides4beer wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 pm
I have Ultegra r8000 brakes, and was a little concerned about fitting the 56x30 rims. Some people say they can handle it, but I didn't want to push the limit, so I went with the 46x28. Have no problems fitting them with full size pads. I can't speak to frame clearance on that bike, but 25mm GP5Ks will measure out a little over 28mm on the 46's after they stretch.
With direct mount calipers there's not really an inherent width limitation with the caliper itself. What does limit clearance is the frame design and how far the caliper can open before the brake shoes hit the stays/fork, so this is a better question for Canyon or fellow Aeroad users.

Quick Tip: You can buy yourself maybe two or three mm's worth of clearance by using Swisstop Flash EVO pads and a low profile brake shoe like the EE Cycleworks ones.
Thanks for the tip. I'll note those pads and brake shoes and head to the canyon aeroad thread to see if people there can give me more advice regarding seatstays and such - though I suspect it won't be a problem as there are people running 28 mm Conti GPs (which generally have a mounted width of over 30 mm, those 30 mm being at a greater radial distance from the hub than the LB56 rim).

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

Sleeprequired wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:53 am
Well I’m happy to say my LB 56mm Falcons have arrived and been paired with some Continental GP5000 25cc’s.

Looks lovely. Couple of questions. When had you placed the order? Are those TL tyres? And, how the heck can you get the wheels to balance like that on that scale? ;-)

I am getting a similar black stealth bike, but I ordered the 56 wheels with the white decals.

Beaver

by Beaver

upside wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 pm
I plan in building a low profile rim for a hilly area and the concern from crosswinds. Light Bicycle has a 280 degree brake surface which I am looking at and is 25mm depth which is perfect. They rae a custom order, so asking questions so I do not make a mistake. Does anyone here anything bad about that new surface,
The new brake track is all right, no delamination reports so far. ;) You can decide, if you want a texture like Campy AC3 or not - I skipped it, as it is only a tad better in wet conditions and a bit worse in the dry. Nothing really noticable.

My set was shipped two weeks after order. But shipping to Europe will take a month to six weeks...

Rims should be below 420g each, so no bad weight for a carbon clincher with 36x28mm and 21mm inside. ;)
Attachments
Weight.jpg

bilwit

by bilwit

Beaver wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:43 pm
upside wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 pm
The new brake track is all right, no delamination reports so far. ;) You can decide, if you want a texture like Campy AC3 or not - I skipped it, as it is only a tad better in wet conditions and a bit worse in the dry. Nothing really noticable.

My set was shipped two weeks after order. But shipping to Europe will take a month to six weeks...

Rims should be below 420g each, so no bad weight for a carbon clincher with 36x28mm and 21mm inside. ;)
whaaaaat? is this true :noidea:

EDIT: nevermind, just saw the cyclingtips article/graph

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Terrordact

by Terrordact

Sleeprequired wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:53 am

Clincher or Tubeless? Got the same rims, wheels will be built next week, and I'm thinking of going with the same exact tire. How hard were they to mount?