Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
alanyu

by alanyu

rhs2z wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:26 pm
1, flyweight AR46 is 435g, AR56 is 450g IIRC. I ride AR56 normal version currently and ordered AR46 flyweight in build by LB.

2, the brake track of flyweight version is slightly thinner than the normal version, so it's a bit weaker. AR465/AR55 is wider than AR46/AR56 + a different cross section, and the surface area is larger thus more material needs to be used if they are the same version (layup).

3, Sorry but your concept on aero is wrong. U/toroidal shape is out of date (actually quite a bit voids in the U shape theory). In 2022.01 tour issue, DT ARC 1100 60 (UV shape) is the fastest, while the Shimano D-AA C60 (curved V) is the second and Bontrager RSL 62 (curved V) is the third, other three in the test are Zipp 454 NSW (Sawtooth), Vision Metron 60 (U) and Campy Bora WTO 60 (U). The most stable one is RSL62 despite it's fractionally deeper. The worst aerodynamics and cross wind stablitiy two are Vision and Campy.
Thanks alanyu. On the basis of your comment, it sounds like the AR46/56 are the way to go.

Since you purchased the flyweight AR46 (rim-brake, I assume), may I ask: had you seen the posts about LB recommending against flyweight rim-brake wheels (due to heat deformation worries)? Did you think about that at all when choosing your wheels?
Yes, rim brakes. I'm only 54~59 kg depending on the season, so overheat is much less possible in my case. I had used other really super light Chinese rims (U shape, 38 mm ~ 380 gr and 50 mm ~ 420 gr), whose braking performance is below average. I didn't manage to overheat them over 16000 km w/ 250000 m descending, but did wear the brake track quite a bit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cubist

by Cubist

Did someone ever test LB rims aerodynamically? Especially curious about the ar55 shape.

Or,

Can someone explain to me the theoretical strengths and weaknesses of the AR55 rim shape?

rhs2z

by rhs2z

I contacted LB to get some further clarification on the flyweight rim-brake AR46/56s.

-The AR46 flyweight version is 435g+/-15, AR56-28mm wide flyweight rim is 450+/-15
-The flyweight version is okay for a 70kg rider but not suitable for aggressive riding.

I need these wheels for racing, so I am opting for the standard.
-------------
Here are the current shipping estimates:
MTS-Sea (4-5 wks in transit, tax included): 109.02
MTS-Air (4-6 weeks in transit, tax included): 126.20
UPS or equivalent (2-3 weeks in transit, tax not included): 175.20

alanyu

by alanyu

Cubist wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:34 pm
Did someone ever test LB rims aerodynamically? Especially curious about the ar55 shape.

Or,

Can someone explain to me the theoretical strengths and weaknesses of the AR55 rim shape?
Only hambini has tested AR56, but you need to judge yourself which part of his claim is reliable.

AR55 is basically a wider U shape based on open mold similar to old DT ARC. Wider = more stable but slower in a similar shape class.

ArtV

by ArtV

I'm in the middle of a pretty frustrating LB purchase. One wheel was stuck in the 5-10 day "Rim Detailing" stage for about 3 weeks and it tool several messages and missed promises to get the wheel finished. Next they charged me an additional $36 "remote fee" from UPS. I have never had a remote fee before as I live near a pretty sizeable city but there really was no other option but to pay it. Now they claim the item shipped on 4/28 but UPS status says "Pending Delivery Date - Shipment Ready for UPS". UPS asked for a pickup confirmation number to investigate but all LB asks me to do is "wait for a few days and see how it goes?" So I am just waiting for some movement but nothing is happening.

The last set of wheels I have from them are pretty nice but honestly at this point I am not sure it is worth the hassle. I am pretty frustrated and honestly would be happy at this point to end my frustration, get a refund and order some X-Wheel SpeedCarbon Disc 44 Clinchers.

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

ArtV wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:38 pm
Now they claim the item shipped on 4/28 but UPS status says "Pending Delivery Date - Shipment Ready for UPS".
This is or could be normal. The product could have shipped from China, from a different cargo carrier, and is making its way to U.S. I'm assuming you live in the U.S. UPS tracking will start ONCE the wheels arrive in the U. S.

ArtV

by ArtV

soonerrebel wrote:
ArtV wrote:
Now they claim the item shipped on 4/28 but UPS status says "Pending Delivery Date - Shipment Ready for UPS".
This is or could be normal. The product could have shipped from China, from a different cargo carrier, and is making its way to U.S. I'm assuming you live in the U.S. UPS tracking will start ONCE the wheels arrive in the U. S.
That sounds great and may very well be the case (hopefully even). However why doesn't LB just say that? "We ship it to UPS in the US at which point the UPS tracking starts". They could even provide a tracking number for the wheels journey to the US. Seems a lot more helpful than telling me to wait a few (more) days.

That being said, though I am still frustrated at the apparent lack of progress, your response does make me feel a bit better so thank you.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

ArtV wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:16 pm
soonerrebel wrote:
ArtV wrote:
That sounds great and may very well be the case (hopefully even). However why doesn't LB just say that? "We ship it to UPS in the US at which point the UPS tracking starts". They could even provide a tracking number for the wheels journey to the US. Seems a lot more helpful than telling me to wait a few (more) days.

That being said, though I am still frustrated at the apparent lack of progress, your response does make me feel a bit better so thank you.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
There is a language barrier which may be the issue. If I may ask did you receive an email from LB titled "Your Shipment Notification from Light Bicycle"? This email USUALLY explains how the shipping and TRACKING will occur. It's not completely clear but does attempt to explain the delay of tracking.

CoffeeNdonuts

by CoffeeNdonuts

ArtV wrote:I'm in the middle of a pretty frustrating LB purchase. One wheel was stuck in the 5-10 day "Rim Detailing" stage for about 3 weeks and it tool several messages and missed promises to get the wheel finished. Next they charged me an additional $36 "remote fee" from UPS. I have never had a remote fee before as I live near a pretty sizeable city but there really was no other option but to pay it. Now they claim the item shipped on 4/28 but UPS status says "Pending Delivery Date - Shipment Ready for UPS". UPS asked for a pickup confirmation number to investigate but all LB asks me to do is "wait for a few days and see how it goes?" So I am just waiting for some movement but nothing is happening.

The last set of wheels I have from them are pretty nice but honestly at this point I am not sure it is worth the hassle. I am pretty frustrated and honestly would be happy at this point to end my frustration, get a refund and order some X-Wheel SpeedCarbon Disc 44 Clinchers.
Yeah that’s how it goes. I wouldn’t be too concern about it. From what I understand your wheels shipped on 4/28 and it takes 3-5 weeks to get to the US (depending on what you selected Air or Sea). Once they get to the US AND clears customs AND is handed to UPS then your tracking number will update and start working. From there it will be only a few days to one week tops to be delivered to your house.

Give them a chance they are usually pretty good to reply and transparent.

ArtV

by ArtV

CoffeeNdonuts wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:55 pm
ArtV wrote:I'm in the middle of a pretty frustrating LB purchase. One wheel was stuck in the 5-10 day "Rim Detailing" stage for about 3 weeks and it tool several messages and missed promises to get the wheel finished. Next they charged me an additional $36 "remote fee" from UPS. I have never had a remote fee before as I live near a pretty sizeable city but there really was no other option but to pay it. Now they claim the item shipped on 4/28 but UPS status says "Pending Delivery Date - Shipment Ready for UPS". UPS asked for a pickup confirmation number to investigate but all LB asks me to do is "wait for a few days and see how it goes?" So I am just waiting for some movement but nothing is happening.

Yeah that’s how it goes. I wouldn’t be too concern about it. From what I understand your wheels shipped on 4/28 and it takes 3-5 weeks to get to the US (depending on what you selected Air or Sea). Once they get to the US AND clears customs AND is handed to UPS then your tracking number will update and start working. From there it will be only a few days to one week tops to be delivered to your house.

So to summarize, it's not just sitting in a warehouse waiting for UPS to pick it up. It is on its way to UPS in the US by some unknown shipping method and when UPS receives it they will update the tracking information. UPS originaly had a delivery date of 5/3 but I knew that was wrong when I saw it.

Will try and have some patience. Thank you all for your help.

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

ArtV wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:19 pm
CoffeeNdonuts wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:55 pm

So to summarize, it's not just sitting in a warehouse waiting for UPS to pick it up. It is on its way to UPS in the US by some unknown shipping method and when UPS receives it they will update the tracking information. UPS originaly had a delivery date of 5/3 but I knew that was wrong when I saw it.

Will try and have some patience. Thank you all for your help.
Coffee gave you the good info! Its on it's way and when it reaches the U.S. THEN the UPS tracking will start. Ignore any expected delivery dates until it's in the U. S. and UPS tracking starts.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Since this left off on the topic of shipping times....

I've now ordered 3 sets of LB wheels in less than a year. Technically 2 for myself and 1 for a friend. Always have gone ahead and got the upgraded shipping.

I placed this last order for a set of UD AR55 featherweight disc wheels laced to Carbon Ti hubs with Sapim spokes. Nothing crazy.

Ordered April 20th, and arrived today at my door, May 16th. Can't complain! I always deal with Grace and she's great.

ArtV

by ArtV

I received the wheels and while they look great and are very light (1274 for the pair), I couldn't help but notice that the rear wheel appears to be installed in the wrong direction. That is the arrow on the wheel which should point to the drive side of the wheel actually points to the non-drive side. I sent them an e-mail to see what impact this has on the wheel and if I should ride it as is.......same spoke count on both sides so we shall see.

Looking at the manual it LOOKS like it is OK but want to be sure since the rear is laced differently than the front as well as the other set of LB wheels I have.

spud

by spud

^ ditto

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cjm

by cjm

cjm wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:41 pm
They look good, the photos do show lots of reflections off the rims.

I recived photos of my AR55 wheels at the weekend but they didn't include a weight photo, they won't be super light with 240exp, cx-ray and brass nipples.

Just need to wait for them to arrive to start the build!
Wheels arrived and they look great, just need to get the bike built now!

They came in at 1543g (f723/r820) vs 1533.32g+/-25 so within tolerance.