Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Elmersen

by Elmersen

Opinions on AR55 vs AR56 if I'm planning on running 25/28 mm Schwalbe Pro one front/rear?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Veto

by Veto

hartmannce wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:22 am
Veto wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:14 am
I was looking to get the AR56 rim brake wheels but their 30mm external width was too much for my brake calipers. Then i was offered a custom version of AR56 with 28mm external width which is not featured on the website. Is there any reason i shouldn't get these? I know the regular AR56 has really good reviews but would making them thinner mess with the dynamics or make it worse in some way? That's the question i have.
Have this 21/28mm variant of AR56 rim with disc brake hubs. 2mm of rim width IMHO is not that important, because I use 25c tires only. 25c GP5000TL sit nicely and that's what I wanted
Thanks for the answer. I wanted to use 28c tires with these. I get that that takes it out of the 105% rule. Would i lose too many watts aero wise if i use 28c instead of 25c?

hartmannce

by hartmannce

Veto wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm
hartmannce wrote:
Veto wrote:
I was looking to get the AR56 rim brake wheels but their 30mm external width was too much for my brake calipers. Then i was offered a custom version of AR56 with 28mm external width which is not featured on the website. Is there any reason i shouldn't get these? I know the regular AR56 has really good reviews but would making them thinner mess with the dynamics or make it worse in some way? That's the question i have.
Have this 21/28mm variant of AR56 rim with disc brake hubs. 2mm of rim width IMHO is not that important, because I use 25c tires only. 25c GP5000TL sit nicely and that's what I wanted
Thanks for the answer. I wanted to use 28c tires with these. I get that that takes it out of the 105% rule. Would i lose too many watts aero wise if i use 28c instead of 25c?
Don`t know really, and I hardly believe that the figure will be more than 2 or 3 watts.

Veto

by Veto

hartmannce wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:36 pm
Veto wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm
hartmannce wrote:
Veto wrote:
Don`t know really, and I hardly believe that the figure will be more than 2 or 3 watts.
Thanks. I'll order the AR56 28mm tonight.

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

My 32mm Rene Herse extra lights measure close to 35mm on my WR38s.
Yesterday I tried a 28mm RH EL (31mm measured) on the front wheel to see if wind stability would improve. It wasn't bad but I just wanted to try it. Here my non scientific personal impressions:
Wind stability: +35%
Comfort: -15%
Stirring/ Handling: +15%
And the illusion of being 105% more aero on the front wheel :-)
I prefered the comfort of the 32mm tire but all in all I feel that the 28mm tire is the better choice.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Elmersen wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:08 pm
Opinions on AR55 vs AR56 if I'm planning on running 25/28 mm Schwalbe Pro one front/rear?
one of each?
Here's a GP5k 25/28 on AR46 (28mm wide) - note the rims are are ~1.5mm wider in the middle than indicated at the rim edge. https://i.imgur.com/7DRNHia.jpg

weeniewiener

by weeniewiener

Hey all, currently building a gravel/endurance road bike and having a hard time choosing between the AR56 and WR45 for a set of road wheels.

I'd like to run 25mm or 28mm tubeless vittoria corsa G+ 2.0s so I think either wheel is workable from a tire perpsective.

It seems to me that the AR56 will have more aero advantages given hambinis ratings and the fact that the WR45's are practically as wide (32mm) as they are deep.

I also absolutely love how the AR56 wheels look in LB's gallery, but I'm not sure how they'll look on my frame (Carbonda CFR 696).

This is my first time spending more than $300 on a wheelset so I'm probably overthinking this.

Either way I'll probably go DT swiss 350 hubs with cx-ray spokes.

Any advice on which way to go?

edit: clarified tire specs.

emotive

by emotive

weeniewiener wrote:Hey all, currently building a gravel/endurance road bike and having a hard time choosing between the AR56 and WR45 for a set of road wheels.

I'd like to run 25mm or 28mm tubeless vittoria corsa G+ 2.0s so I think either wheel is workable from a tire perpsective.

It seems to me that the AR56 will have more aero advantages given hambinis ratings and the fact that the WR45's are practically as wide (32mm) as they are deep.

I also absolutely love how the AR56 wheels look in LB's gallery, but I'm not sure how they'll look on my frame (Carbonda CFR 696).

This is my first time spending more than $300 on a wheelset so I'm probably overthinking this.

I also have a CFR696. I have WR50 wheels and I was running Corsa G2.0 28mm tubeless. If this is your only bike then AR56 with 25 tyres is a good solution. 28mm tyres look a bit small when looking front-on but from an angle or the side it looks fine.

I also have a TCR for 100% road bike rides, so I have moved to 32mm tyres on the WR50 and really enjoy longer rides on this setup and descending twisty roads with the extra confidence from the wider tyres.

I’ve tried the CFR696 with the WR65 off my TCR. I’ve GASS these wheels for 3 months and now the WR50 don’t look deep anymore. I think the AR56 depth would look great.

Elmersen

by Elmersen

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:31 pm
Elmersen wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:08 pm
one of each?
Here's a GP5k 25/28 on AR46 (28mm wide) - note the rims are are ~1.5mm wider in the middle than indicated at the rim edge. https://i.imgur.com/7DRNHia.jpg
Thanks, that's an informative picture. Pro One are a bit narrower than GP5000, so I guess both would sit fine on AR55. I've been reading through the whole thread and it seems like no one really knows which is faster of the AR55 and AR56. Leaning towards the 55 since it's a newer design, but it also is a bit more expensive. Equals about the same as DT Swiss 350 vs 240, so not sure where the money are best spent.

If they released an AR555, that would tip the scale for sure.

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

Everywhere I read, the DT350s stands for good performing reliability. The weight difference between 350 and 240 is not that important as it's not rotating mass. I'd go for the 350s and spend the money somewhere else.

Veto

by Veto

I've ordered a set of AR56 wheels with the help from here which i'm thankful for. I will be using these with Vittoria latex tube which have 48mm valves. So, i need some valve extenders. Are 30mm extenders will be enough for these or should i go for 40mm ones?

weeniewiener

by weeniewiener

emotive wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:13 am
weeniewiener wrote:Hey all, currently building a gravel/endurance road bike and having a hard time choosing between the AR56 and WR45 for a set of road wheels.

I also have a CFR696. I have WR50 wheels and I was running Corsa G2.0 28mm tubeless. If this is your only bike then AR56 with 25 tyres is a good solution. 28mm tyres look a bit small when looking front-on but from an angle or the side it looks fine.

I also have a TCR for 100% road bike rides, so I have moved to 32mm tyres on the WR50 and really enjoy longer rides on this setup and descending twisty roads with the extra confidence from the wider tyres.

I’ve tried the CFR696 with the WR65 off my TCR. I’ve GASS these wheels for 3 months and now the WR50 don’t look deep anymore. I think the AR56 depth would look great.

Thanks emotive, those pics look sick. Made the decision easy. I found some AR56 with dt swiss' older 240s hubs on LB's clearance page and hit buy.

Sweet bike by the way.

emotive

by emotive

weeniewiener wrote:
emotive wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:13 am

Thanks emotive, those pics look sick. Made the decision easy. I found some AR56 with dt swiss' older 240s hubs on LB's clearance page and hit buy.

Sweet bike by the way.
Cheers. Look forward to seeing your build when it’s rolling.

jlok

by jlok

Veto wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:11 pm
I've ordered a set of AR56 wheels with the help from here which i'm thankful for. I will be using these with Vittoria latex tube which have 48mm valves. So, i need some valve extenders. Are 30mm extenders will be enough for these or should i go for 40mm ones?
If you use only screw on chuck, rim depth +5 is the minimum. I'm using S-Tubo 60mm on my WR50 with around 12mm of the stem sticking out.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Veto

by Veto

jlok wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:05 am
Veto wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:11 pm
If you use only screw on chuck, rim depth +5 is the minimum. I'm using S-Tubo 60mm on my WR50 with around 12mm of the stem sticking out.
I am using a regular floor pump with clamp mechanism. I am not sure 12mm would be enough to grip on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com