Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jas0nt

by jas0nt

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:59 am
? ~$1300 for a 56mm deep wheel with DT180 hubs weighing 1380g is hard to argue agains unless the rims or assembly are problematic. Considering the hubs alone retail at almost $1100, it sounds too good to be true. And we know what that usually means.
I doubt LB pay $1.1k for the hub. They probably have a very good trade price with DT Swiss and pass the savings to the customer.

jas0nt

by jas0nt

Tofanator wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:20 pm
jas0nt wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:37 am
I assume they still put some clear coat on it, unless you requested raw carbon.
Matt UD
My rims will enter the QC process this weekend. Then wheel build next week, delivery end of next week. I assume yours will be in the same batch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

BigBoyND wrote:
I try not to ask things that have already been answered... but I'm 20 pages into this thread and already tired of scanning, so I'd appreciate a summary!

High on my list for my new build is the AR56 Flyweight with satin finish, DT180 hubs, and CX-Ray spokes. I'm just over the 90kg limit (85kg without bike and gear) but LW says it should be fine if I don't hit the gravel.

Has anyone had bad luck with AR56 or LW in general? ~$1300 for a 56mm deep wheel with DT180 hubs weighing 1380g is hard to argue agains unless the rims or assembly are problematic. Considering the hubs alone retail at almost $1100, it sounds too good to be true. And we know what that usually means.

I plan to run it with clinchers but will likely try TL. Are these wheels on the easy or difficult end of the spectrum in terms of mounting TL tires and getting them to seat/seal?

What's lighter: no holes and no tape, or holes and Stan's tape?
I don't think there is much weight difference between holes and no holes. No holes does make fitting tyres slightly easier as the wheel diameter is ever so slightly less.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Is the no holes version smooth enough to avoid damaging tubes without tape?
jas0nt wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:27 am
I doubt LB pay $1.1k for the hub. They probably have a very good trade price with DT Swiss and pass the savings to the customer.
Yes of course. But when I look at US builders (FairWheel and WheelBuilder) it looks like they charge close to retail.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

Yes, the rim bed is smooth. You would not have issues running tubes

Tofanator

by Tofanator

jas0nt wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:29 am
Tofanator wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:20 pm
jas0nt wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:37 am
I assume they still put some clear coat on it, unless you requested raw carbon.
Matt UD
My rims will enter the QC process this weekend. Then wheel build next week, delivery end of next week. I assume yours will be in the same batch.
Very good! Thanks for that,
Then a few weeks to land in Aus I'd imagine

kahoots

by kahoots

BigBoyND wrote:
I try not to ask things that have already been answered... but I'm 20 pages into this thread and already tired of scanning, so I'd appreciate a summary!

High on my list for my new build is the AR56 Flyweight with satin finish, DT180 hubs, and CX-Ray spokes. I'm just over the 90kg limit (85kg without bike and gear) but LW says it should be fine if I don't hit the gravel.

Has anyone had bad luck with AR56 or LW in general? ~$1300 for a 56mm deep wheel with DT180 hubs weighing 1380g is hard to argue agains unless the rims or assembly are problematic. Considering the hubs alone retail at almost $1100, it sounds too good to be true. And we know what that usually means.

I plan to run it with clinchers but will likely try TL. Are these wheels on the easy or difficult end of the spectrum in terms of mounting TL tires and getting them to seat/seal?

What's lighter: no holes and no tape, or holes and Stan's tape?
Can you PM me your quote? I am in chat with them and not getting the same price as you. How come you aren't looking into the AR55? Thanks.

polpy

by polpy

jas0nt wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
? ~$1300 for a 56mm deep wheel with DT180 hubs weighing 1380g is hard to argue agains unless the rims or assembly are problematic. Considering the hubs alone retail at almost $1100, it sounds too good to be true. And we know what that usually means.
Dt180 with centerlock usually retail for about 600-700€ in europe for both hubs. Thats 700-800 USD.

pmprego

by pmprego

polpy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:35 am
jas0nt wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Dt180 with centerlock usually retail for about 600-700€ in europe for both hubs. Thats 700-800 USD.
There is a ceremic bearings version thus way more expensive but i assume that's not what lb is using.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

pmprego wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:25 am

There is a ceremic bearings version thus way more expensive but i assume that's not what lb is using.
I thought they only come with ceramic bearings

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

kahoots wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:17 am
Can you PM me your quote? I am in chat with them and not getting the same price as you. How come you aren't looking into the AR55? Thanks.
It was $13XX over chat. No email because I haven't made up my mind yet.

AR55 is my other option. I prefer the pro finish, too. But it's narrower. My current wheels are 28mm external and I'd like to go a hair wider. Weight is only 10g off on the Flyweight versions

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

spud wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:30 pm
^ can't give you an answer relative to other wheels. But Conti 5000 TLR went on with a bit of effort, and seated fine once I soaped everything up. Build quality is very good, I've been riding older LB wheels for the past 6 years at 180 lbs and no problems at all.
You got GP5k TL on without tools? That would be huge, since those tires are on the difficult end of the spectrum.

180lbs is quite a bit below 195lbs, but that's a good sign. Were those the Flyweight version though? I wonder whether anyone has broken a set of those. The weight is spectacular for the depth. With DT180 the AR56 is lighter than anything from the mainstream brands including Roval Rapide :shock:

pmprego

by pmprego

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:36 am
spud wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:30 pm
^ can't give you an answer relative to other wheels. But Conti 5000 TLR went on with a bit of effort, and seated fine once I soaped everything up. Build quality is very good, I've been riding older LB wheels for the past 6 years at 180 lbs and no problems at all.
You got GP5k TL on without tools? That would be huge, since those tires are on the difficult end of the spectrum.

180lbs is quite a bit below 195lbs, but that's a good sign. Were those the Flyweight version though? I wonder whether anyone has broken a set of those. The weight is spectacular for the depth. With DT180 the AR56 is lighter than anything from the mainstream brands including Roval Rapide :shock:
I've been carefully weighting one LB option but I know the carbon rim cannot be better and at the same time cheaper than any other major brand outthere (zipp, roval, bontrager, bora). Something has to give. It's up to me to decide that I'm okay with that but I also have to be realistic.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Sure seems too good to be true. But I also haven't found many reports of issues despite big threads like this with happy owners

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:38 pm
Sure seems too good to be true. But I also haven't found many reports of issues despite big threads like this with happy owners
That's why I also follow this thread carefully :)

But my current opinion is that for the average rider (myself included) it's more than good what LB offers. Maybe for the elite cyclist there will be some differences in performance, stuff we really can't feel of measure just by using them outside. Unfortunately LB doesn't seem very interested in sending a couple of wheels to major reviewers for them to test.