Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pmprego

by pmprego

I've been looking at the lightbycicle wheels and I've realized that as soon as the width goes to 32mm external, 25mm internal they classify it only as cx/gravel wheel. For toad wheels they consider 28-30mm external and 21 internal.

Any reason for this or just some type of weird segmentation they followed?

Edit: while we are at it. Anyone knows to what size a 28mm tire actually measures in one of those 25mm internal? Thanks!!

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

bilwit wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:20 pm
Mcdeez wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 pm
Im looking to buy some gravel/cx wheels for my CX bike, which hub is the loudest in the Lightbicycle options?

Thanks!
Probably Chris King or Industry Nine followed by Carbon-Ti, the latter being much lighter but also probably not recommended for gravel/CX. The other two are better suited to take potential beatings (both have MTB-focused pedigree).

Also worth mentioning that with all hubs, the less (or more worn) lubricant the louder it is and conversely, the more lubed, the quieter it is so if you get one of these already built up and it sounds muted, it will wear into the sound you're looking for.
Carbon Ti disc hubs mtb and road hubs are one and the same so are we'll able to take gravel and cx.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

28mm RH etra light measures 30 and a bit on WR38. The same tires in 32mm go as wide as close to 35mm.

pmprego

by pmprego

Cyclingintherain wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:00 am
28mm RH etra light measures 30 and a bit on WR38. The same tires in 32mm go as wide as close to 35mm.
Was that a reply to my question regarding the 28mm tires?

I would not expect them to go that big! I saw a review of the enve 3.4 that are hookless and 25mm internal and a 28mm tire went to 29.5mm (sub-30 for sure).

I'm trying to stay "confortably" within the 105% rule and those are 32mm externally.

frnchy

by frnchy

pmprego wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:16 am
I've been looking at the lightbycicle wheels and I've realized that as soon as the width goes to 32mm external, 25mm internal they classify it only as cx/gravel wheel. For toad wheels they consider 28-30mm external and 21 internal.

Edit: while we are at it. Anyone knows to what size a 28mm tire actually measures in one of those 25mm internal? Thanks!!
See my post a few pages back with measurements of various 28-30 mm tires on WR50 rims. The tires I had on hand measured between 30-32 mm.

pmprego

by pmprego

frnchy wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:29 pm
pmprego wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:16 am

See my post a few pages back with measurements of various 28-30 mm tires on WR50 rims. The tires I had on hand measured between 30-32 mm.
I found it. Thanks.

Now... They have a 32mm wide named "FALCON PRO WHEELSET WR40 DISC CX/Gravel". These have that waved shape. I don't know what to say about this... For 32mm.external they have a 38mm deep and the 50mm deep but also this 40mm waved one.

I would have enjoyed a bit more info on this wavy format.

Any idea how these compare to the Princeton carbonworks wavy wheels? They do look similar.

emotive

by emotive

pmprego wrote:I've been looking at the lightbycicle wheels and I've realized that as soon as the width goes to 32mm external, 25mm internal they classify it only as cx/gravel wheel. For toad wheels they consider 28-30mm external and 21 internal.

Their definition of road rims is an old fashioned classification where any bike frame with more clearance than a 25mm tyre was considered CX or all-road. 4 years ago when the 28mm wide AR36 was released it was categorized as a gravel wheel. Now Enve Foundation is a 28mm road wheel, DT Swiss, Zipp, and Roval have all released wider road wheels, it has normalized wider road wheels and LB have RE-classified the AR wheel range to match the market.

LB make great wheels but they don’t understand why most people buy their wide ‘gravel’ wheels for a ‘road’ bike, they just make what the customers ask for.

Expect LB to re-classify the WR range in a couple of years when 32mm wide wheels become more common for road.

Geraint

by Geraint

I agree - conventions on width have changed a lot over the last few years.

I'm using LB RM29C14 "MTB" rims on my gravel bike, I thought they were the best combination of width/depth for what I wanted. I'm very pleased with them.

emotive

by emotive

Geraint wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:51 am
I agree - conventions on width have changed a lot over the last few years.

I'm using LB RM29C14 "MTB" rims on my gravel bike, I thought they were the best combination of width/depth for what I wanted. I'm very pleased with them.
Ha, I had them build me a gravel wheelset with flyweight RM29C06 MTB rims laced to road hubs. 2 years later they launched it as the AR24 gravel wheelset :-)

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

bilwit wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:00 am
Indyx wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:26 pm
Hi All,

Can someone give me some feedback on Light Bicycle Rim brake wheels in terms of the brake track?

I see they have the TG brake track, and the grooved brake track. I am specifically interested in experience with the brake track, and how it retains residue from the pads?

I have a set of wheels from a "Competing Brand". Build quality is good, but my main disappointment has been the "Basalt Brake Track" gets residue from the brake track like crazy. The track basically turns whatever color pads you are using. I have sets of Reynolds wheels, and even after 10k miles, the brake tracks look new, with very little residue.

I want to try a set of these wheels, but brake track is a concern, especially wear, and residue. THanks for feedback@
I have both grooved, regular, and disc sets. I make it a point to only bring the disc brake bike out when I know it'll be wet but when I have been caught out on the regular track, brake performance is pretty awful--as expected with any other normal carbon rim brake wheelset. There is no difference between the two in the dry. I've taken the the grooved set up/down a col in absolutely horrible weather and they performed supremely excellent, I must say, but I also now attribute this to using brand new pads that day as well. I've ridden them in the wet with worn pads and braking was definitely degraded, so there's that. BTW I only use swisstop black prince pads.

My R45 tubulars came in today. 1260g for the pair with Carbon-Ti hubs, grooved brake track, satin UD finish:

Hi, I just ordered a set of Falcon R45s with grooved brake track. I plan to mate those rims with D/A 9000 hubs(18F24R) and Sapim CX-Rays. Radial on the front, 2 cross in the back. A silly question, just to be sure. The grooves on the brake track should align to the forward rotation direction, right? First time building wheels with grooved brake tracks.

polpy

by polpy

Steve Curtis wrote:
bilwit wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Im looking to buy some gravel/cx wheels for my CX bike, which hub is the loudest in the Lightbicycle options?

Thanks!
Probably Chris King or Industry Nine followed by Carbon-Ti, the latter being much lighter but also probably not recommended for gravel/CX. The other two are better suited to take potential beatings (both have MTB-focused pedigree).

Also worth mentioning that with all hubs, the less (or more worn) lubricant the louder it is and conversely, the more lubed, the quieter it is so if you get one of these already built up and it sounds muted, it will wear into the sound you're looking for.
Carbon Ti disc hubs mtb and road hubs are one and the same so are we'll able to take gravel and cx.
My regular/old/non-exp dt240s with the 54t ratchet upgrade are waay louder than my chris king r45d

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

polpy wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:
bilwit wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:

Thanks!

My regular/old/non-exp dt240s with the 54t ratchet upgrade are waay louder than my chris king r45d
I find Chris kings are not even that lound!

polpy

by polpy

Mcdeez wrote:
polpy wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:
bilwit wrote:

Yeah, they were the loudest thing couple years ago and they can be super loud if not lubed/serviced properly and the kind of cassette also plays a role (sram xg1190 = louder).

But in general i think 240s with 54t ratchet is loud. Also the hubs on the hunt carbon aero 50 (formula? Bitex? Dunno what they are) are suuuuuper loud. So loud that i dont wanna descent near anyone who rides them. My ears are still ringing 10 minutes later.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

polpy wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
polpy wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote: Carbon Ti disc hubs mtb and road hubs are one and the same so are we'll able to take gravel and cx.
Yeah, they were the loudest thing couple years ago and they can be super loud if not lubed/serviced properly and the kind of cassette also plays a role (sram xg1190 = louder).

But in general i think 240s with 54t ratchet is loud. Also the hubs on the hunt carbon aero 50 (formula? Bitex? Dunno what they are) are suuuuuper loud. So loud that i dont wanna descent near anyone who rides them. My ears are still ringing 10 minutes later.
Hunt hubs are novatec i believe

Is dt 350 with 54t loud?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

kublaiboy wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:56 am
Hi, I just ordered a set of Falcon R45s with grooved brake track. I plan to mate those rims with D/A 9000 hubs(18F24R) and Sapim CX-Rays. Radial on the front, 2 cross in the back. A silly question, just to be sure. The grooves on the brake track should align to the forward rotation direction, right? First time building wheels with grooved brake tracks.
Yep, the slits should be pointing forward.