Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:01 pm
Anyone care to offer any guesses on how long util LB starts offering wheel builds with carbon spokes?
Came across this today.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Fast.html

Luften

by Luften

This looks cool, being able to use any hubs. The spoke looks like it threads into an aluminium insert/screw at the hub though, which extends out of the spoke hole in the flange and connects into the carbon spoke - wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the carbon spoke? i.e. there's an aluminium-only section which would then define the max strength and stiffness of the whole system?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Ditto. Had been holding off on new wheels but having just got an email anouncing the carbon spokes, it may not be time.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

musiclover

by musiclover

Hi, I want a WR50 - paintless 50mm by 32mm hookless rims. Are they currently the best? The new "waivy" design does not bring much benefit does it?
But when I go ahead and try to select something, it does not give me a 15mm front hub option apart from Novotec, no DT Swiss?.. They could probably just assemble somthing with an MTB hub? They should have that. I have a road 15 by 100mm front wheel.
Which hub option is currently the best value on the higher end side? DT 240? Do those new EXP ones still break or have they fixed that? Thanks
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

teamtarrant1

by teamtarrant1

Team:

Has anyone tried Winspace hyper/lun and Light wheels? Specifically anyone weighing 195-210lb?

I'm close to pulling the trigger and can't decide.

Key notes:

- Currently weight 205lb. 93kg.
- Goals - Fast road endurance rides and triathlon. Aka I want to crush my buddies. LOL.
- Depth - Leaning deeper, say 60/65mm. The more I read it seems that heavier riders are less effected by the crosswinds. (I also live in Memphis, we rarely see anything over 10MPH)

rhs2z

by rhs2z

I got my wheels today! Ordered May 30, so... A little less than 2minths for build/ship.

Like some other manufacturers, they recommend using a (plastic) tire lever "only if necessary". Makes me a bit nervous about using one on these pristine wheels haha. But I think that's the way it's gonna have to be for gp5ks 🤣

musiclover

by musiclover

Is two months a normal time? They advertise about 1-2 weeks for building and another 3 weeks for shipping, Farsports about the same...

musiclover

by musiclover

There must have been many comparisons of LB vs Farsports. Is the increase in price really justified? If we are talking about WB50

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

musiclover wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm
Hi, I want a WR50 - paintless 50mm by 32mm hookless rims. Are they currently the best? The new "waivy" design does not bring much benefit does it?
But when I go ahead and try to select something, it does not give me a 15mm front hub option apart from Novotec, no DT Swiss?.. They could probably just assemble somthing with an MTB hub? They should have that. I have a road 15 by 100mm front wheel.
Which hub option is currently the best value on the higher end side? DT 240? Do those new EXP ones still break or have they fixed that? Thanks
There is an area on the site for custom builds where you can select options that isn't in the standard builder. Request your desired hub through there.

martocom

by martocom

Anyone riding AR wheels with 5000 S TR tires in 28?
Wondering if it's still good aero-wise or if the tires are too wide. I'm OK if its not inside the "105%-Rule" but I don't want the tire to be wider than the rim.

MrB123

by MrB123

29.37mm wide according to LBs website so not perfect from that perspective. 25mm tyres preferable.

martocom

by martocom

On their website it's the normal tube-type 5000 tire, not the 5000 S TR which tends to measure smaller.

rhs2z

by rhs2z

musiclover wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:56 am
Is two months a normal time? They advertise about 1-2 weeks for building and another 3 weeks for shipping, Farsports about the same...
FWIW, I chose the slower, cheaper shipping option. Also, I am on the US east coast, which added a week to shippinh. On my order confirmation, it says:

"This customized order will take 4~5 weeks to go through before shipping and shipped by MTS-Sea, tax included, 4~5 weeks in transit."

rhs2z

by rhs2z

teamtarrant1 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:03 pm
- Depth - Leaning deeper, say 60/65mm. The more I read it seems that heavier riders are less effected by the crosswinds. (I also live in Memphis, we rarely see anything over 10MPH)
I find it hard to imagine that you would have any trouble on a 60mm modern rim profile in those conditions. I'm sorry that I can't give you any comparative advice, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TTRV

by TTRV

martocom wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:52 am
Anyone riding AR wheels with 5000 S TR tires in 28?
Wondering if it's still good aero-wise or if the tires are too wide. I'm OK if its not inside the "105%-Rule" but I don't want the tire to be wider than the rim.
I initially put some 25 on my AR46 but I felt like they were too narrow. I changed them for some Cadex tyres that I had when I bought my bike which are 25 but on the bigger side.
I'd also be interested to know as well if someone has tried 28 GP5000 S TR on these rims.