Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
polpy

by polpy

flanders wrote:One last question. If I'm using these for recreational purposes, is it worth it to go with the cheaper Novatec hubs, which cost about $400 less, or go with the more expensive Industry Nine Torch hubs, where I'll need a end cap qr conversion kit for the front hub? I'm looking at a total of $750 vs $1150. Thanks :noidea:
Dt240,dt350, Torch, Chris King are all convertable to QR, i run Chris King on all of my bikes, but its not because they are faster. In my opinion the novatec will just work as well as the industry nine. Its more about reliability, availability of replacement parts, freehub sound and "bling".

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Dt350 would be my answer.
My experience with Chinese hub so far are:
Bitex hub: no issue. But bearings are tiny.
Novatec hub: one set no issue. Another set has front wheel DNS bearing seat that is undersized. That hub is a bearing serial killer. No bearing last long in that hub.

Dt350 seems especially beefier in the front hub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

choochoo46

by choochoo46

emotive wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:26 am
alanyu wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:30 pm
emotive wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:08 am

If you want one wheelset to ride always, go for the U-shaped profile for more side wind stability in all conditions: AR35,AR38, AR45, AR55, WR35, WR45, WR50, WR65.
If you have more than one wheelset, or more than one bike, such that you only ride your deep wheels on calm days, prioritise straight line speed and go for the V-shaped AR46 or AR56.
I disagree with ur claim. AR46/56 is a wide-curved V instead of a tranditional V, which is very close to bontrager Aeolus' shape.

Based on my experience, AR56 (28mm external width version) is even more easy-handling than my other U-shaped 38 mm chinese rim (26.5mm external width), both are paired with 105% rule tires. Moreover, Aeolus RSL62 is the winner in the stability test in Tour 2022.01 issue, outperforming other U shape and UV shape wheels.
I agree that AR46/56 is a wide curved V. They are much rounder than Mellensteins, Light Bicycle no longer manufacture a sharp V shape rim. The AR46/56 are more V shaped than the AR45/55 which have a more blunt nose, more like a U shape. I am just using the Light Bicycle Terminology from https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Need.html

The claims about the differences in U and V shape handling are also not mine, they are from the link above
I agree with AlanYu, I'm a 61kg rider and the AR56s are my most stable wheelset (paired with 25mm GP5000 TLs). I live in an area with a lot of mixed conditions. Today, for example we had 15mph winds with gusts up to 25mph. My other wheelsets are Extralight 45mm deep, 28mm wide, Prime RR 50 (25mm external), and Yoeleo SAT C58 Pro Tubeless (27mm external).

I find that keeping within the 105% rule lessens detachment with cross winds. For example, my Prime RR50s went from pretty unstable on steep descents with cross winds to a decent handler in those same conditions when I switched from 25mm to 23mm GP5000s.

oLLeg

by oLLeg

Cube.jpg
Finally got home. Went bed at 0300 and woke up at 0600. Could not wait any longer. Installed Conti5K 28 on AR46(D240/36 hubs, hooks, no holes)
Went really easy (last time I was missing brake disks nuts - Fulcrum has external thread, Conti Race tire on Fulcrum was hell to remove/install- see my previous post). Was suprised as regular tyre with tube when pumped seat with hard sound as tubeless. Did not take bike outside yet- don't want to ride in the rain. Indoor trainer saves me.
Weights:
Fore 667 gr
Rear 745 gr

flanders

by flanders

I ordered my wheels! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post some pics when they arrive. I went with the ar46 with I9 qr hubs. I'm not sure how long they'll take to build but shipping is close by so it shouldn't take more than a few days.

Lakal

by Lakal

I have just bought an aero bike frame and I want to find the right wheels for this aero build.
I have been loking at three different rims from LB:
AR55
AR56
AR565
I want to use 25mm GP5000. The area is flat but the crosswinds can be a bit difficult here.
Is the AR565 just a gimmick?
And what about hubs? is Bitex ok?

Sbear55

by Sbear55

Tossing this up for those that might be interested.

Ordered wheels for my sons triathlon bike and just mounted up tires this morning. R65 front R88 rear, dt350, cx ray, brass nips, no access holes, drain holes, glossy hex.

I’m in Wisconsin, USA.

Order date - March 9th, 2022
Shipped - April 26th, 2022
Arrived - May 25th, 2022

From 4/26 until 5/19 I was in the abyss of no shipping updates. On 5/19 they hit UPS.

Box arrived in near perfect condition. I forgot to order brake pads and tubeless valves. I planned on going tubed for now anyhow. Mounted up GP5000’s 700x25 this morning with Silca latex tubes. Not the easiest tire I’ve mounted but it was pretty quick with just my bare hands.

I put them on the scale last night and forgot to write down the front. Rear bare wheel was 1074. I believe front was 800ish I think.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Picture of just the rear since I’m not vip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Sbear55 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 2:11 pm

Ordered wheels for my sons triathlon bike and just mounted up tires this morning. R65 front R88 rear, dt350, cx ray, brass nips, no access holes, drain holes, glossy hex.

I’m in Wisconsin, USA.

Arrived - May 25th, 2022

From 4/26 until 5/19 I was in the abyss of no shipping updates. On 5/19 they hit UPS.

Box arrived in near perfect condition. I forgot to order brake pads and tubeless valves. I planned on going tubed for now anyhow. Mounted up GP5000’s 700x25 this morning with Silca latex tubes. Not the easiest tire I’ve mounted but it was pretty quick with just my bare hands.

I put them on the scale last night and forgot to write down the front. Rear bare wheel was 1074. I believe front was 800ish I think.

I ordered the pretty much the same thing with bitex, hex pattern matte, I'm using for road bike.
What does the GP5000 measure on it, because I was going to maybe the 23mm version tubed to start with.

Hopefully it comes in lighter in the low 1800g.

Do you see a disjoint somewhere on the hex pattern?

Is the tension even?

What is that large bulge for the valve stem?

It didn't come out cheap but they have good prices for the assessories, I ordered two set of pads and the valves, would have set me back $100 in the US. I can't believe valve extender is like $20 today. Used to be like $3.50. They have full length tubeless valves so I didn't have to buy two sets of extenders for mismatched wheel size.

Sbear55

by Sbear55

PoorCyclist wrote:
Sbear55 wrote:

I’m in Wisconsin, USA.

Arrived - May 25th, 2022

I ordered the pretty much the same thing with bitex, hex pattern matte, I'm using for road bike.
What does the GP5000 measure on it, because I was going to maybe the 23mm version tubed to start with.

Is the tension even?

It didn't come out cheap but they have good prices for the assessories, I ordered two set of pads and the valves, would have set me back $100 in the US. I can't believe valve extender is like $20 today. Used to be like $3.50. They have full length tubeless valves so I didn't have to buy two sets of extenders for mismatched wheel size.
No micrometer handy so I don’t have a measurement for you. I’ll see if I can borrow one….

The tubes are silca latex that came with valve extensions and the speedshield. Speedshield is the bump you see. Prevents valve rattling and according to Silca it saves 0.5 watts per wheel by smoothing airflow around the stem. They came with the tubes so I figured why not.

Attached is a crappy zoomed in pic of hex transition.

Sbear55

by Sbear55

Sbear55 wrote:
PoorCyclist wrote:
Sbear55 wrote:

I’m in Wisconsin, USA.

Arrived - May 25th, 2022

Is the tension even?

No micrometer handy so I don’t have a measurement for you. I’ll see if I can borrow one….

The tubes are silca latex that came with valve extensions and the speedshield. Speedshield is the bump you see. Prevents valve rattling and according to Silca it saves 0.5 watts per wheel by smoothing airflow around the stem. They came with the tubes so I figured why not.

Attached is a crappy zoomed in pic of hex transition.

Rear - 25.7mm
Front - 25.5mm

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

^^ Thanks!

rhs2z

by rhs2z

I just purchased: rim-brake, flyweight, 28mm AR56s with carbon-ti, cx-rays, aluminum nipples: 1330g+/-15.

The flyweight AR56 rims are 450g. Correcting what I saidin an earlier post- these wheels are suitable for road racing for a 70kg rider, but they are not supposed for a 70kg rider to use on gravel.

I originally wanted AR46s, but I couldn't envision any race situation where 30g was worth 10mm less rim depth.
I also considered extralite hubs, which save 40 grams. But the quote was $300 more and they need more maintenance. I guess I am not a true weight weenie haha.

I am excited about these wheels, this was a very helpful thread for my wheel research, thank you.
Last edited by rhs2z on Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cubist

by Cubist

Anybody use Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR on the ar55 rims? I ordered 26mm front and 28mm rear. Want to know what size they blow up to.

alanyu

by alanyu

Cubist wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:24 pm
Anybody use Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR on the ar55 rims? I ordered 26mm front and 28mm rear. Want to know what size they blow up to.

I use 26 mm Pzero race TLR on AR56, the same 21 ID ver., and they measured ~27.2 mm after a long time of use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

AR46 flyweight + Carbon Ti + cx ray arrived me, 594+716=1310 g on the scale. I asked LB to scale the rim before building, and the rims are 431 gr and 433 gr, well controlled below claimed 435 gr. Based on these numbers, the latest rim brake X hub is actually 232 gr/pair, since the quoted weight with 435 gr rims was 1304 gr with the previous 220 gr X hub

However, there is freewheeling problem. The wheel spined backwards when I back spinned the cranks. I disassembled the hub, and shockingly there is only one 0.1 mm shim between the bearings. It should be one 0.4 mm or 3 * 0.1 mm in the old design. I have no idea whether it is due to QC of carbon ti, or due to the builder not puting all shims back. I have written to them, but they both are in holiday atm.
Attachments
AR56 sim+ and AR46 fw Carbon Ti
AR56 sim+ and AR46 fw Carbon Ti
AR46 flyweight X hub front
AR46 flyweight X hub front
AR46 flyweight X hub reat
AR46 flyweight X hub reat