Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rides4beer

by rides4beer

dcorn wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:33 pm
Anyone running the 28mm wide wheels with rim brakes? Thinking of ordering a set and I want the wide internal dimension to run some fat tires. Although a set of those with DT350 hubs comes out to about $800, which is creeping close to Hunt wheels that have a better reputation.

I'm doubting the textured brake track because I have other wheels and another bike I can ride if it's wet out.
I have the 28mm wide wheels with Ultegra direct mount rim brakes. No issues fitting them with full size pads.

dcorn

by dcorn

Awesome, thanks. Did you order from the US site or Global? The cheapest you can get the wheels on the US site is over a grand, but a build with DT350 hubs on the global site comes in just below $800. Any reason not to go with the global site? Will it take way longer to get to me? Really odd that they only have a couple different hub options on the US site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

dcorn wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:58 pm
Awesome, thanks. Did you order from the US site or Global? The cheapest you can get the wheels on the US site is over a grand, but a build with DT350 hubs on the global site comes in just below $800. Any reason not to go with the global site? Will it take way longer to get to me? Really odd that they only have a couple different hub options on the US site.
As I understand it, the Light-Bicycle North America branch is basically an official reseller of the main Light-Bicycle company. They will buy rims from the main company in China and then build them in North America for public sale, keeping a stock of most of the common rims in their own warehouse. They have different reseller/distribution partnerships with different hub manufacturers so that's why they have different options. If you buy direct from the main company, they will build and ship directly from China.

If you buy something with common options that they have in stock, it should be ready a lot faster than ordering from Global. If you order something with more exotic custom options, they have to special order from China and then build them (IME takes a solid month to get to you), so it would potentially be slightly slower than buying them direct.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

dcorn wrote:
What bilwit said. I ordered from the global site, took about a month, but I didn't mind the wait to save $300. Plus with the global site, you can do custom decals, either your own, or any customization of the LB decals that you want. I got three LB decals instead of the standard two (looks more balanced imo) in white, but the valve decal in stealth so that it didn't stand out as much.

dcorn

by dcorn

rides4beer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 pm
dcorn wrote:
What bilwit said. I ordered from the global site, took about a month, but I didn't mind the wait to save $300. Plus with the global site, you can do custom decals, either your own, or any customization of the LB decals that you want. I got three LB decals instead of the standard two (looks more balanced imo) in white, but the valve decal in stealth so that it didn't stand out as much.
Nice, the cost savings is more important to me, honestly.

What color is stealth? Flat black or grey? I wouldn't mind the logos just to break up the black a bit, but I'd rather have them barely noticeable.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

dcorn wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm
Nice, the cost savings is more important to me, honestly.

What color is stealth? Flat black or grey? I wouldn't mind the logos just to break up the black a bit, but I'd rather have them barely noticeable.
Stealth is grey, but they can do black if you want.

bike.JPG

dcorn

by dcorn

Nice, I was drooling over that bike on the site, looks great.

Think the textured brake track is worth it?? And did you have to email them to get on the full wheels that like it says on the website?

Sorry for the 20 questions.

Beaver

by Beaver

dcorn wrote:
Anyone running the 28mm wide wheels with rim brakes? Thinking of ordering a set and I want the wide internal dimension to run some fat tires. Although a set of those with DT350 hubs comes out to about $800, which is creeping close to Hunt wheels that have a better reputation.

I'm doubting the textured brake track because I have other wheels and another bike I can ride if it's wet out.
What type are your brakes? Current Shimano brakes can handle 28mm with normal pads.

Hunt wheels blew up in the current Tour Mag. test...
dcorn wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Think the textured brake track is worth it?? And did you have to email them to get on the full wheels that like it says on the website?

You should send an e-mail to make sure what you want and get. ;) And there's no big difference: ;)

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/campagn ... et-review/

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

Beaver wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Please post a link to the test.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

dcorn wrote:

Thanks!

I have nothing to compare it to, since these are my first set of carbon wheels, but they do brake very well with the Swissstop Black Prince pads, and I had no problems at all slowing/stopping in the rain. I did email with them prior to placing my order, you can tell them exactly what you want and they'll send you an invoice link to place your order. Communication was great through the whole process.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Beaver wrote:
dcorn wrote:

What type are your brakes? Current Shimano brakes can handle 28mm with normal pads.

dcorn wrote:

You should send an e-mail to make sure what you want and get. ;) And there's no big difference: ;)

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/campagn ... et-review/
That grafik is for Campa
That doesnt mean its the same on LB Rims
If you dont ride much in wet choose normal Brake Track

dcorn

by dcorn

Beaver wrote:
dcorn wrote:

Oh, I just meant who was running the wide wheels with rim brakes instead of disc. I'd buy chinese carbon disc wheels in a heartbeat, not needing to worry about brake track issues. Just wanted to see if people had good luck with the wider wheels and braking.

These would be going on an Allez Sprint. A friend of mine just got Roval wheels which are 29mm wide, running 28c tires and has plenty of room with Ultegra brakes. I'm running Sram Red brakes, they appear to have plenty of space too.

Beaver

by Beaver

BoSoxYacht wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:33 pm
Beaver wrote:

Please post a link to the test.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154692&start=345#p1474972

bilwit

by bilwit

Pinguin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:27 pm
That grafik is for Campa
Out of all the offerings, the LB rim is most similar to AC3, so logicially, normalizing the difference between Campag AC3 & normal versus LB "Grooved Graphene" & normal you would expect the same delta. I have a pair of the grooved track on their way so I should be able to make a direct comparison with the normal set I have now in a few weeks. I don't expect much of a difference especially when I don't plan on taking them out in the wet ever.
Last edited by bilwit on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pinguin

by Pinguin

bilwit wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:52 pm
Pinguin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:27 pm
That grafik is for Campa
Out of all the offerings, the LB rim is most similar to to AC3, so logicially, normalizing the difference between Campag AC3 & normal versus LB "Grooved Graphene" & normal you would expect the same delta. I have a pair of the grooved track on their way so I should be able to make a direct comparison with the normal set I have now in a few weeks. I don't expect much of a difference especially when I don't plan on taking them out in the wet ever.
Are those grooved Brake Track Rims also eating pads or is these only on my rims?