Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
sirRob

by sirRob

pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:14 pm
garbageman wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:53 pm
pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:28 pm
Actually, they are probably not saying that. I think they didn't have access or didn't want to pay for testing in a place where different yaw angles were possible. There is no logical reason to assume the wheels perform worst than a similar standard rim. If that would be the case then the zipps or Princeton would also have a similar problem.
Why would you assume that? The Zipps and Princetons are variable depth, the LB rims have variable width with constant depth. You can't draw any conclusions about the X-flow design from the Zipp or Princeton designs; they are not similar.
I understand that. Yet... If Zipp says "this is inspired in Wales" people will say "awesome" but if a Chinese company says what they said it is not believable. Just as specialized saying it's x amount of seconds faster. Or any other brand saying that their wheels are faster than the competition. All of those are claims that cannot be really verified.

But one does however he/she/they wants.

In my case, I try to get averages. If people with the X-flow 375 or 465 can confirm inner width, hook width and maximum width I'll be more than fine. On top of that which tires are using and their real measured width than it's just perfect.

The same goes for the wr40.
I am using ar375 lightweight option with carbon ti hubs.
Inner width: 21,8mm
Hook width: 28,9mm
Maximum width: 30,3mm
Pirelli pzero Race 28C (tubetype) come in at 28,7mm@5,3bar
996A1E73-2494-43FE-93FE-B4EEC7769A77.jpeg
F52D169E-487B-4597-855F-D398D58F3CC8.jpeg
Very satisfied how they handle in crosswinds!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

sirRob wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:47 pm

I am using ar375 lightweight option with carbon ti hubs.
Inner width: 21,8mm
Hook width: 28,9mm
Maximum width: 30,3mm
Pirelli pzero Race 28C (tubetype) come in at 28,7mm@5,3bar
996A1E73-2494-43FE-93FE-B4EEC7769A77.jpegF52D169E-487B-4597-855F-D398D58F3CC8.jpeg

Very satisfied how they handle in crosswinds!
Thanks for the info! Just slfi2qider than advertised in their website - which actually goes to my liking.

Given that you've added the carbon ti part. How's your feedback regarding them? This is ww and the carbon ti option is the ww option to go. It's the lightest without the financial impact that the dt180 have. They have some preload thing (im not even close to a home Mechanic particularly with respect to wheels) while the dt swiss are supposed to be put and forget.

I'm decided on going the 465 in the rear wondering about dt240exp vs carbon ti crazy light option. I'm debating over going the 375 in the front or the also x-flow wr40 rim just for the front also.

Tofanator

by Tofanator

Guys looking for a upgrade wheelset for my Gravel bike, looking to spend as little as poss,
What are you thoughts on the cheaper hubs?
-ARC MT-032
-Novatec
-Bitex
Which one is the best do you think?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

DT350
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I use novatec in one of my wheelsets. They are perfectly fine, but bearings are smaller and thus less durable than in dt350.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Bitex make some great hubs for the money.
For me it's Bitex for cheap builds and carbon-Ti for more expensive.
I wouldn't consider DT anymore but novatec have their place if you want cheap conversion kits from 12-15 mm or a new freehub body etc

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:16 pm
I wouldn't consider DT anymore
Out of curiosity, why rule dt out?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

choochoo46

by choochoo46

musiclover wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:29 am
choochoo46 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:57 am
I have the 18T DT350s on my cross bike and 36T DT350s in my training wheels. Have thousands of miles in each with no maintenance needed except greasing the rachets
How do you know when to grease the ratchets?
Not sure. I think it may depend what conditions you ride in. I greased mine to see if there would be any reduction in the hub noise -- didn't seem to make any different to my ears.

It's pretty easy to service the freehub. When you clean it the first time maybe note how dirty they are and the mileage you have in them. That might suggest a future interval.

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/blog/post/h ... tchet-hubs

jencvo

by jencvo

gorkypl wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:03 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:16 pm
I wouldn't consider DT anymore
Out of curiosity, why rule dt out?
I'd assume due to recent EXP problems

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm thinking about getting some light more aero wheels for my lgihtweight bike a rim brake Wilier Zero.7. It's supposed to fit up to 28mm wheels but has 25mm GP5000's currently and that's probably what I will stay with.

I'm looking at the AR46 wheels for an all around wheel, but have never had wheels that wide before. If the Wilier Zero.7 takes up to 28mm tires, those wide rims should work, correct? Would those work better with my bike and 25mm tires or should I go for the narrower R45's (25mm)?

Also is their any reason I shouldn't go with the Bitex FAR10/RAR9 hubs? They are light and cheap. I've got two other wheelsets with DT240's but don't want to double the cost of these rims as this bike doesn't get as much saddle time as some others (though I hope new rims will fix that).

Is is worth $35 to get the Sapim X-Ray spokes over the Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420?

Lastly if this is for dry riding only (I use a disc brake bike in the wet) is there any reason to pay $60 extra for the grooved surface?

Thanks!
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

jas0nt

by jas0nt

Anyone with both LB and Farsport wheels who can comment on the quality differences (if any)?

Pumablk

by Pumablk

steamroller wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:58 am
Nice! about to pull trigger on pretty much same build but carbon-ti hubs. Keen to hear what you think when you've put some miles on them :)
Will do, my friend. They certainly look cool sitting here.

sirRob

by sirRob

pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 pm

Given that you've added the carbon ti part. How's your feedback regarding them? This is ww and the carbon ti option is the ww option to go. It's the lightest without the financial impact that the dt180 have. They have some preload thing (im not even close to a home Mechanic particularly with respect to wheels) while the dt swiss are supposed to be put and forget.

I'm decided on going the 465 in the rear wondering about dt240exp vs carbon ti crazy light option. I'm debating over going the 375 in the front or the also x-flow wr40 rim just for the front also.
Very happy with the carbon ti hubs. I already own a set wr65 with carbon ti hubs. Did not need to adjust the preload so far (~5000km).

pmprego

by pmprego

sirRob wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 am
pmprego wrote:

Very happy with the carbon ti hubs. I already own a set wr65 with carbon ti hubs. Did not need to adjust the preload so far (~5000km).
Cna you link something where they explain/show what preload is that?

I'm just trying to understand what labor would be involved. Moreover, how one would understand if there is the need for that preload adjustment?

(did I already say I'm no home mechanic? I like to learn and do it but wheels is something I never tried to service myself.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sirRob

by sirRob

pmprego wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 pm
sirRob wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 am
pmprego wrote:

Cna you link something where they explain/show what preload is that?

I'm just trying to understand what labor would be involved. Moreover, how one would understand if there is the need for that preload adjustment?

(did I already say I'm no home mechanic? I like to learn and do it but wheels is something I never tried to service myself.)
here it is shown: https://www.carbon-ti.com/Allegati/X-Hub_ROAD_front.pdf

no real labour at all. You just have to tighten/loosen the preload adapter when your wheel does not spin properly. I came from bora wtos which have the same mechanism.
Last edited by sirRob on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.