Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

charirider wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:56 am
Thank you!
But it seems to be "matte" finish; what I am looking for, is completely raw, strainght-of-the-mold regular falcon series rim, similar to stripped carbon frame with no paint applied.
Is it possible to order such rim? I will coat it with aerospace 303 and will ride as is
Sorry for my late reply but I had a problem accessing the site lately. Now I understand what you are looking for but I believe CoffeeNdonuts gave you the right answer on the "completely raw, strainght-of-the-mold regular falcon series rim" .. I do not think that exits.
Last edited by soonerrebel on Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Hi all

Just wondering if any UK based posters have ordered from Light Bicycle recently and if so, what shipping option did you go with and did you still have to pay import duties?

It appears that TPD is still available to customers in the UK but having left the EU, will going with TPD guarantee that tax won't be charged?

I would be interested in getting some WR35's but only if I don't get hit but additional import costs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

malizeus

by malizeus

toephi wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:34 am
malizeus wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:24 pm
toephi wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 am
hartmannce wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:25 pm

Why do you consider buying R45-55? Those rims have smaller inner width of the rim, while most of the guys here buy LB rims because of their wider rims - for road it is recommended to have at least 21mm inner width if you plan to run 25c tires. Tire tends to baloon out on a narrower rim, when a wider rim streches the tire and supports its sidewalls better, giving you better handling and less rolling resistance (in theory, at least).
As far as I understand - you chose those rims due to the rim brake frame you have. So your main concern and limiting factor would be the maximum measured width of inflated tire, which can be fitted to your frame, as well as the maximum width of the rim on the brake track - which is limited by the model of the rim brake callipers you have.

If you can fit a 28mm wide rim into the brake calliper, and the frame fits a tire with measured width ±30mm - go with AR46, AR45 or AR55.
I'm riding this Canyon Endurace frame but with Ultegra 6800. I don't think I have enough clearence even when I buy some R8000 calipers or does anyone ride this exact setup?
I have endurace cf sl 7 with shimano r7000 full groupset, using LB falcon pro AR55 with no issues
Would you share some pictures how the rims fit at the caliper?
https://ibb.co/2vSxjTv
https://ibb.co/Fn46L39

Pads are a bit worn but the caliper can be widened more than in the picture, you will have no problems with r8000

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Nice, LB has the trispoke available again!
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... Wheel.html

I have the rim brake version when it briefly was produced last year, and for me it has been crazy fast in flat TTs.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

the jackel

by the jackel

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:27 pm
Hi all

Just wondering if any UK based posters have ordered from Light Bicycle recently and if so, what shipping option did you go with and did you still have to pay import duties?

It appears that TPD is still available to customers in the UK but having left the EU, will going with TPD guarantee that tax won't be charged?

I would be interested in getting some WR35's but only if I don't get hit but additional import costs.
I ordered some a few months back and have a client that ordered some last month. Both orders used TPD and no extra tax paid.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

I got my pair of WR32 45mm rims back in February/March, sent TPD, with no extra tax to pay.

ms6073

by ms6073

Anyone care to offer any guesses on how long util LB starts offering wheel builds with carbon spokes?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RDY

by RDY

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:01 pm
Anyone care to offer any guesses on how long util LB starts offering wheel builds with carbon spokes?
Given that they've already developed a monocoque TT / track wheel, I'd rather see them follow that for road / gravel - offering something cheaper than Bike Ahead. There are dozens of different (very similar) carbon spoked options ... none of which are THAT compelling - lightness of spokes usually outweighed by additional beefiness of hub, and they tend to transmit a lot more road buzz than light steel spokes. Better to do something different in a saturated market.

AW84

by AW84

Guess no one is going to answer my previous questions. How about this one:

How's the grooved brake track? Loud? Quiet? Stop better than non-grooved? Car you use typical Swisstop pads?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Since my AR56s are technically gravel wheels, figured I'd put 'em to use on the gravel bike with a set of 40mm Terra Speeds. :thumbup:

alanyu

by alanyu

AW84 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:05 pm
Guess no one is going to answer my previous questions. How about this one:

How's the grooved brake track? Loud? Quiet? Stop better than non-grooved? Car you use typical Swisstop pads?
Grooved track can work with Swissstop black and the combination is relatively quite. Stop power in wet is better.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

RDY wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:51 am
ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:01 pm
Given that they've already developed a monocoque TT / track wheel, I'd rather see them follow that for road / gravel - offering something cheaper than Bike Ahead. There are dozens of different (very similar) carbon spoked options ... none of which are THAT compelling - lightness of spokes usually outweighed by additional beefiness of hub, and they tend to transmit a lot more road buzz than light steel spokes. Better to do something different in a saturated market.

The other consideration is that carbon spokes are thicker. As I understand it, 1.5mm thick for those used on the Winspace Hyper (advised by WS customer support) vs 0.9mm for Sapim CX Ray (measured). Since the spokes at the top move at twice the speed of the bike (and drag goes up as the square of velocity), and directly impact frontal area, I'm not in a rush to use carbon spokes.

montanameister

by montanameister

Hey all - been reading a lot about the LB options. Trying to replace the default wheels (DT R470) that came on my Tarmac SL6 disc, and the default 26c clincher turbos that I've been running.

I'm a relatively heavy rider (80kg). Most of my riding is 1k ft of elevation gain per 10miles - anything from 20-60 mile rides. Very few flat rides. Live in a windy area - lots of crosswinds on crossings/decents. I would like to run 28c tubeless tires (hookless is fine), and nothing above 46 rim depth. My thought is that a mid-depth wheel can be; wider (allowing for larger tubeless tires at lower pressure), lighter, and more aero than my existing set-up without breaking the bank.

Unfortunately, the WR40 is 32 external and for the SL6 the maximum clearance is 30. So that leaves the AR375/AR45/AR46/AR465, but frankly have no idea how to choose between these different rim profiles.

Any thoughts on how to pick between these rim options?
The 375 and 465 have the "wavy" shape and are supposed to be superior aero/crosswinds, but does that play out in reality / are they worth the premium?
Is there a notabale material difference b/w Falcon Pro and regular Falcon other than cosmetics?
and;
Is running 28c tires on 28 externals fine? The only options in market that I see for 30mm external rim width are 1. 303 Firecrest (probably outside my price point) 2. Farsports FS40 (their "gravel" tire which is actually pretty interesting at 40 rim depth and seems both lighter and cheaper than the LB options, but the LB operation seems to me to be more legit as there are many more comments/reviews on these forums). I ultimately think it'd be silly to move to wider rims to just move to skinnier tires than what came default for my bike.

FWIW, I'd probably build these with dt240exp hubs.

Thank you.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

SL6 disc can certainly accept 32mm wide rim. There's no choke point in the chainstay, seatstay or fork that prevent 32mm (or even 35mm) wide rim as far as I know. No excessively wide tire (oversized 32c tire inflate to 34mm actual width will rub near bottom bracket), but 28mm tire on 32mm wide rim is okay.
I'd personally go at least 50mm deep in the back though. So, WR40 front WR50 back, perhaps.

MrB123

by MrB123

If you order rims only from LB is the delivery time any quicker than for full wheelsets or does it not make much difference?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com