Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
cjm

by cjm

I was planning to order a set of AR55 and noticed LB now offer CX-Ray/CX-Sprint as an option for the rear, what would be the deciding factors to go for the mixed setup over a straight CX-Ray rear?

warthog101

by warthog101

Mr.Gib wrote:My WR50's are hooked. I wanted to be able to run Vittoria tires as I am obsessive about cornering grip and I haven't found better than the Vittoria Corsa range. FWIW, I did set up a friends hookless wheelset - they were actually Giant SL1 with Giant's tires and I found the interface between tire and rim to be perfectly secure. I would have complete confidence in any hookless wheel combo that came together that nicely. Very impressive.

Yes, free speed is why I went for the 50's but I don't really follow your lack of concern about wind. It's on the road where things can get scary, especially if you are on the lighter side. Ventoux on the wrong day, or any big pass for that matter can force you off your bike. Like I said, it depends where you are riding.
Thanks.
I think I will go for hooked.

Yeah I am not riding Ventoux.
I am 184cm 76kg.
Have raced on 85mm token tubular wheels.
The tokens blew around yes. Race wheels only though

Have 404s and a cheap Prime rr50 v3 wheelset from wiggle.
The zipps are barely noticeable unless it is a gale ime.

The Primes are excellent in terms of wind. A wider wheelset.

Have done over 30k km on deep carbons.
Not worried by wind and never been blown very far off line.
Yes I have heard multiple people express concern. I have plenty of time on them and am unconcerned.

A bigger concern on the dirt at slower speeds will be rock damage.
My aluminium gravel wheelset already has had some heavy strikes from loose stuff hitting the sides of the wheel.
Some marks left on the aluminium surface.
More worried about the potential for damage that way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@warthog101 - Sure, depending on the nature of gravel, rock damage is a risk. IMO a shallower rim makes sense for this reason - simply less exposed carbon. Lots of guys going for deeper wheels on their gravel rigs lately and over the next couple of years we'll get a picture of the likelihood of damage - too soon to know the odds just yet.

Good luck with the WR50's.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

warthog101

by warthog101

Mr.Gib wrote:@warthog101 - Sure, depending on the nature of gravel, rock damage is a risk. IMO a shallower rim makes sense for this reason - simply less exposed carbon. Lots of guys going for deeper wheels on their gravel rigs lately and over the next couple of years we'll get a picture of the likelihood of damage - too soon to know the odds just yet.

Good luck with the WR50's.
Thanks for your help and feedback. Much appreciated :)

scico

by scico

jlok wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:31 am
scico wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:43 pm
Anyone got internal nipples rims?
I got it on my WR50.
Can you post a pic?

scico

by scico

djstalca wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Hello,
AR465 owner here. Today was my first short cold ride with some intervals climbing. This are my first carbon wheelset so i can't compare it to anything other than Dtswiss shallow 300 USD-ish alloy rims.
Build: carbon-ti, cx-ray spokes

I am really impressed. No flex and i am 96kg cyclist and still really comfortable ride... Like i said in previous comments i am running GP 5000 TL and only with levers put it on under 2 minutes...Sure i will test for crosswinds in summer :) And one more thing i really like matt finish on this wheels which hides curves and make wheels more subtle. Other finish i would recommend probably is matt braided UD. :)

About carbon-ti hubs i only can say wow... only thing i notice there was a lot of talking about on this forum is that is too loud. I dont know who did this (Lightbicycle or Carbon-ti) mine came near death silent and someone already grease it. No problem with engaging though.
Nice bike! But get rid of those ultegra discs!

hartmannce

by hartmannce

warthog101 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:11 am
A bigger concern on the dirt at slower speeds will be rock damage.
My aluminium gravel wheelset already has had some heavy strikes from loose stuff hitting the sides of the wheel.
Some marks left on the aluminium surface.
More worried about the potential for damage that way.
Indeed that is a big concern. I have ~5k km on my wheels, and they already have some bigger scratches from rock impacts when riding even on regular tarmac,with small patches (300-500m, up to 1-2km) of gravel in-between. Those are just scratches, but someday such rock impact can result as a hole.

djstalca

by djstalca

scico wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:06 pm
djstalca wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Hello,
AR465 owner here. Today was my first short cold ride with some intervals climbing. This are my first carbon wheelset so i can't compare it to anything other than Dtswiss shallow 300 USD-ish alloy rims.
Build: carbon-ti, cx-ray spokes

I am really impressed. No flex and i am 96kg cyclist and still really comfortable ride... Like i said in previous comments i am running GP 5000 TL and only with levers put it on under 2 minutes...Sure i will test for crosswinds in summer :) And one more thing i really like matt finish on this wheels which hides curves and make wheels more subtle. Other finish i would recommend probably is matt braided UD. :)

About carbon-ti hubs i only can say wow... only thing i notice there was a lot of talking about on this forum is that is too loud. I dont know who did this (Lightbicycle or Carbon-ti) mine came near death silent and someone already grease it. No problem with engaging though.
Nice bike! But get rid of those ultegra discs!
Haha they were stock on Endurace.... What is better?

berest

by berest

Happy New Year everybody :beerchug:

Can anybody tell me please, what rim tape size should i go with for the AR46 rims? They are 21mm internal and 28mm external. Planning to order 25x622 Schwalbe rim tape since using it for many years now. Will it fit(25mm)?

Has anyone tried to measure a GP5000(regular, not TL etc) in 25x622 size on a AR46 rims? Would like to see the actual dimensions. Still choosing between the 25 GP5000 and 26 P Zero Race TLR(or even SL TLR) in terms of clearance.

Thank you

Miller

by Miller

hartmannce wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:27 pm
Indeed that is a big concern. I have ~5k km on my wheels, and they already have some bigger scratches from rock impacts when riding even on regular tarmac,with small patches (300-500m, up to 1-2km) of gravel in-between. Those are just scratches, but someday such rock impact can result as a hole.
Fwiw, I have a lot of experience with riding over rough terrain in recent years. My alloy wheels suffered a few scratches and small dings. My carbon wheels have been a little bit scratched but that is it, nothing else. Despite many rocky descents, no wheel has suffered serious damage.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

berest wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:56 pm

Can anybody tell me please, what rim tape size should i go with for the AR46 rims? They are 21mm internal and 28mm external. Planning to order 25x622 Schwalbe rim tape since using it for many years now. Will it fit(25mm)?

Has anyone tried to measure a GP5000(regular, not TL etc) in 25x622 size on a AR46 rims? Would like to see the actual dimensions. Still choosing between the 25 GP5000 and 26 P Zero Race TLR(or even SL TLR) in terms of clearance.

Thank you
I used 25 mm tubeless tape on my AR55 with 21 mm internal width. Light bicycle recommends 18 mm tape on their website and uses this width on their rims if you let them install the tape. So I think anything from 18-25 is good enough.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

PeytonM

by PeytonM

berest wrote:

Thank you
I have ar56 (21/28mm) and the 25mm gp5000 clincher is 27.5mm at 80psi and 1000 odd km. It's a nice fit for the rim and tyre has a nice shape.

ms6073

by ms6073

berest wrote:
Planning to order 25x622 Schwalbe rim tape since using it for many years now. Will it fit(25mm)?
Not apples to apples, but I have a set of Nox Composites carbon rims that are 21.5 mm internal on my road bike and I taped those with 2 layers of Schwalbe 25mm tape. Currently riding those wheels with Challenge Strada HTLR 700 x 30 tires inflated to 61/65 psi with no issues and prior to that, I was on Schwalbe Pro Ones in the same dimensions, also with no issues.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

berest

by berest

floriansantana
ms6073

Thank you! Yupp, will order 25mm tape. Probably should work.

PeytonM
Ok, i got it, thanks. If it's at least 27mm on 21/28(AR46's are the same), than it's perfect for me. I'm looking exactly at something to be in the range of 27-27.5. Possibly even 28, but not sure because of clearance.

UPD:
Did anyone try to use SwissStop Yellow King + Grooved Graphene surface? How's the braking power and modulation in dry? How long do the brake pads last in such setup? Any noise, sounds?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Sorry, I should have added that while not directly related to using 25 mm wide tape, in almost 4-years of road tubeless tires, the Challenge HTLR tires are the most difficult tires I have every mounted. Short of using a hair dryer or placing them in the oven for a few minutes to heat them up, It would not have been possible to get them on without use of a tire bead jack.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"