Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rides4beer

by rides4beer

Roger9 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 am
Been communicating with Nancy about some 45 profile wheels.

I was surprised the 25 (45 deep) wide rims were heavier by about 20g than the 28 (46 deep) wheels but then Nancy pointed out the 45CO2 rims are U shaped while the 46CO2 rims are V shaped.

I was of the belief almost all modern rims were now U profile so was surprised LB was going down the V profile path.

I appreciate the weight difference is negligible but I'd prefer 28 wide rims but not convinced about the V profile.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Looks like most of the wider rims are "v-shaped", I read somewhere that it's difficult to go that wide without it ending up somewhat v-shaped. But it's not a sharp V, like old wheels, it's more of a blunted/rounded V. I have nothing to compare it to, these are my first set of carbon wheels, but I have the 46's and they're fantastic. No issues with speed or handling for me. I've averaged 24.5mph on a TT ride with them, and have had no handling issues in high winds.

dcorn

by dcorn

sirsondre wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 am
Anyone with experience on the "order status"-link which is provided when ordering from LB?

I ordered last week and I've been following the order status frequently since then and now it's been stuck on "Material prepare" for several days :(
I'd say don't bother checking it for a little while. I'm at the 3 week mark since ordering and mine say 'finished' on all parts, so I assume that means they are done sanding the rims and have yet to inspect or build.

Sounds like from most guys here the purchase to receive time is at least a full month :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skyboy

by skyboy

rides4beer wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Looks like most of the wider rims are "v-shaped", I read somewhere that it's difficult to go that wide without it ending up somewhat v-shaped. But it's not a sharp V, like old wheels, it's more of a blunted/rounded V. I have nothing to compare it to, these are my first set of carbon wheels, but I have the 46's and they're fantastic. No issues with speed or handling for me. I've averaged 24.5mph on a TT ride with them, and have had no handling issues in high winds.
I have a set of wheels from farsports 28 wide 45 deep and u shaped. The rims are heavier than the light bicycle 28x46 though.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

skyboy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 pm
I have a set of wheels from farsports 28 wide 45 deep and u shaped. The rims are heavier than the light bicycle 28x46 though.
Your picture didn't post. :noidea: Guessing it was a profile of the farsports 45mm wheel?

Here's the LB 46mm profile, like I said, more of a blunted v than a true v shape.
lb46profile.jpg
lb46profile.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 2214 times

FWIW, the shape is pretty much the same as Enve's 4.5.
enve45profile.jpg

skyboy

by skyboy

Yup sorry wrong link, here it is

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Roger9 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 am
Been communicating with Nancy about some 45 profile wheels.

I was surprised the 25 (45 deep) wide rims were heavier by about 20g than the 28 (46 deep) wheels but then Nancy pointed out the 45CO2 rims are U shaped while the 46CO2 rims are V shaped.

I was of the belief almost all modern rims were now U profile so was surprised LB was going down the V profile path.

I appreciate the weight difference is negligible but I'd prefer 28 wide rims but not convinced about the V profile.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
I haven't yet read any review of 46 or 56 LB wheels saying they were bad at crosswinds at all, so that has to mean something. I ride the 56 myself, 63kg, even when I went out with strong winds and TT bars I could handle it fine. If there's a wind so strong that I can't handle that, I probably won't be riding even on shallow wheels. If your frame can take these wider options, go for it. In turn, I wouldn't now buy a frame that can't take them.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

skyboy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 pm
Yup sorry wrong link, here it is

Looks like Zipp 303 Firecrest, so that has to work fine. I couldn't find that on FarSports website...

My guess is you wouldn't be able to discern any of the 3 brands (zipp farsports LB) in performance, except when braking.

Roger9

by Roger9

I looked at Farsport but also could not find any 28 wide rims. The majority of Farsport rims were 25 external and 18 internal, hence my motivation to explore LB options.

The Farsport FSC 38CM 25D (disc) wheelset with cx ray (24 hole) and novatech 411/412 hubs weighs 1515g. I've bought many wheels from Farsport in the past with no problems at all, but now looking at a similar spec LB WRR46CO2-24H coming in at 1435g, I'm pretty sold on LB.

Quite a weight saving given the larger depth of the LB wheels (46 vs 35). LB is a bit pricier but worth it in my opinion and given the comments above I'm not too stressed about V or U profile.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

On the U vs V shape topic. Enve has gone back to a fairly sharp V shape for it's deepest and fastest set of wheels (for the rear at least, U shape that I posted above for the front). Take that for what it's worth, but I have a feeling that there is probably little difference in the shape of the wheel, a few watts maybe? But manufacturers have to keep "improving" their products, and there's only so many shapes an aero wheel can have.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

rides4beer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:42 pm
On the U vs V shape topic. Enve has gone back to a fairly sharp V shape for it's deepest and fastest set of wheels (for the rear at least, U shape that I posted above for the front). Take that for what it's worth, but I have a feeling that there is probably little difference in the shape of the wheel, a few watts maybe? But manufacturers have to keep "improving" their products, and there's only so many shapes an aero wheel can have.
Kind of. Similar depths give similar benefits, but shape also makes a difference.
In Hambini's test (if you belive it, I do) you see a trend of more depth giving more benefit. But also there are cases such as Bontragger Aeolus 60mm that perform better than some 80mm wheels. Even LB 56 overtakes Yoeleo 88mm at a faster speed. And as of the test, Flo60 don't perform very well at all...

Other wind tunnel tests also show similar results, that depth makes half of the effect, and shape the other half, I'd say.

But at 30kph, which is an avg speed a lot of us ride most of the time, your tire choice can make more difference. And even a tight jersey or helmet. Mostly your position.

For a given depth, width, and tire combo there can only be one optimal shape when you want speed. But that can compromise handling in crosswinds. Then I guess its a tradeoff. For me LB56 is just great.

Roger9

by Roger9

Good points Enrico.

We are bombarded with choice and the reality of compromise.

While the majority of discussion focuses on the aero benefits, I find it hard not to consider my real world needs on hills. I do a reasonable amount of riding with a group so aero benefit diminishes, particularly if you're ok at sucking wheels.

Reality hits home when we hit a decent hill and you're on your own. This is where I feel the 46 may be better suited than the 56.

I've had 50 wheels before and never had concerns on windy days, but for the last 5 years I've been on Farsport 38 U's and really liked them. But with newer wheels comes improvements and hence my desire to try a 46. I do still like the challenge of a good climb even if I'm not the fastest.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Roger9 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:20 am
I looked at Farsport but also could not find any 28 wide rims. The majority of Farsport rims were 25 external and 18 internal, hence my motivation to explore LB options.

The Farsport FSC 38CM 25D (disc) wheelset with cx ray (24 hole) and novatech 411/412 hubs weighs 1515g. I've bought many wheels from Farsport in the past with no problems at all, but now looking at a similar spec LB WRR46CO2-24H coming in at 1435g, I'm pretty sold on LB.

Quite a weight saving given the larger depth of the LB wheels (46 vs 35). LB is a bit pricier but worth it in my opinion and given the comments above I'm not too stressed about V or U profile.
Farsports also sell 28 mm wide Rims

xxmayocxx

by xxmayocxx

Hi there, I remember reading here that it's possible to ask for rims that are lighter than stated. Is this the case and if so does anyone have any experience, do they seem more flimsy/flexy. I'm light enough myself at 63/64kg.
Also I cant help feeling the 23mm inner width (56mm deep) is a bit too wide for racing duties, has anyone found this? I intend on using 25mm corsas or gp400s
Thanks!

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

xxmayocxx wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:35 pm
Hi there, I remember reading here that it's possible to ask for rims that are lighter than stated. Is this the case and if so does anyone have any experience, do they seem more flimsy/flexy. I'm light enough myself at 63/64kg.
Also I cant help feeling the 23mm inner width (56mm deep) is a bit too wide for racing duties, has anyone found this? I intend on using 25mm corsas or gp400s
Thanks!
I race with 56x30/23 gp5k 25mm they are great. 62/63kg had Vittoria CS 23/25mm before as on page 3, the 23 works great and stretched to 28mm after a while. They are fast.

skyboy

by skyboy

Roger9 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:20 am

Like some other Chineese sellers they have the wider wheels listed under cyclocross or gravel.
The disc version is here and you can email them to order the rim brake version.
https://www.wheelsfar.com/grevel/45mm.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-arr ... 3ade94c18a
Prices are not as competitive on these rim as the more narrow ones but they are very high quality and I'm very happy with my set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com