Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Hey, at least the bead width stayed the same! I do think the claim of a strong rim is true. The 'U' shape is stronger near the spoke holes. The more internal volume of a cross-section the stronger the structure if everything else stay equal.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

hmm, start from 36/46 (.5).
Then a year later expand the same shape to 56mm version.
Then another year for 65.

This sound like the rising time of Light-Bicycle, when they first release AR/WR series.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I can't see how the new profile is my more aerodynamic than a consistent profile. Seems like psuedoscience at best.

jlok

by jlok

What I get from the US$291 AR465 flyweight rim is that LB can certainly do some fancy stuffs like Zipp NSW at a reasonable price.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

joesch

by joesch

Aryeh wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 pm
jas0nt wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:03 pm
Between the AR55 and WR50, which would be more aerodynamic if I'm to use 28mm tyres? The AR55 is 5mm deeper but is narrower (21/28 compared to 25/32). Both are same weight.
My 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TLE measure 30mm exactly on my WR50s. External width of the rims is 32mm.
Got my AR55 a few days ago - build quality is good, weight is spot-on. I installed Schwalbe Pro One TLE, the 28mm measure exactly 28mm.

However, one challenge seems to be the installation of the tubeless tires despite having chosen a hooked, no holes rim version; the installation per se was fine, but despite generous volumes of sealeant the rear wheel flats over night, the front wheel in 2-3 days. It seems the tires do not properly engage with the rim, in particular as it did not "pop into the rim" as I expected it based on previous experience with DTSwiss rims (popping sound when initially inflating the tire with a compressor, tire does not stay in place afterwards)
Anybody with similar experiences and/or advice?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

joesch wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:34 am
Aryeh wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 pm
jas0nt wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:03 pm
Between the AR55 and WR50, which would be more aerodynamic if I'm to use 28mm tyres? The AR55 is 5mm deeper but is narrower (21/28 compared to 25/32). Both are same weight.
My 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TLE measure 30mm exactly on my WR50s. External width of the rims is 32mm.
Got my AR55 a few days ago - build quality is good, weight is spot-on. I installed Schwalbe Pro One TLE, the 28mm measure exactly 28mm.

However, one challenge seems to be the installation of the tubeless tires despite having chosen a hooked, no holes rim version; the installation per se was fine, but despite generous volumes of sealeant the rear wheel flats over night, the front wheel in 2-3 days. It seems the tires do not properly engage with the rim, in particular as it did not "pop into the rim" as I expected it based on previous experience with DTSwiss rims (popping sound when initially inflating the tire with a compressor, tire does not stay in place afterwards)
Anybody with similar experiences and/or advice?
Are you using the no-holes version? If you are check your valves. Something is leaking. Once the bead pops into place it's almost impossible to pop back itself.

If you are using the hole version, check your valves AND your tape.

Aeo

by Aeo

Even on a no-hole rim, a layer of tape can improve the fit of the tyre to the rim
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

Just some info regarding my LB order.

Ordered two wheelsets, WR35 650b and AR56 both with Industry Nine hubs, on March15, 2021. LB indicated that it would take 3 months to complete the order PRIOR to shipping. GOOD NEWS the wheelsets shipped out today and I expect around two weeks delivery to the US.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

With the release of the first Falcon Pro, LB shows they can do naked carbon finish like Campagnolo Bora Ultra WTO on their $250 rim.
With the release of AR465, they show that LB can make wavy rim shape on their $290 rim.

I wonder what else can they do it better on more expensive models.
-molded in spoke nipples like Campagnolo Bora Ultra WTO wheels?

jas0nt

by jas0nt

CamW wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:56 pm
Some new wave style rims from Light Bicyle have cropped up on their website:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-road- ... lable.html

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-road- ... lable.html
"Cuts drag by 37%"

Citation needed, ideally from an independent source...

joesch

by joesch

MagicShite wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:56 am

Are you using the no-holes version? If you are check your valves. Something is leaking. Once the bead pops into place it's almost impossible to pop back itself.

If you are using the hole version, check your valves AND your tape.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I use the no-holes version and I have some experience with Tubeless from my cross bike.
Therefore I was suprised to no see the tires properly pop in; I have now repeated the entire process, added some rim tape around the valve.

The tire got seated upon using the booster but did not stay in place when I deflated it to add the sealeant. Upon closer inspection, I assume it is more of an issue with the tires not engaging with the rim / hook properly.

Nodejs53

by Nodejs53

Just ordered lb ar 46 wheelset for my road bike and looking for new wheelset for my tt bike (wilier turbine)
Looking for lb ar56 front / wr65 back.
(25mm front and 28mm back for confort)
What did you about think about it for a tt bike ?
Thanks !

RDY

by RDY

Wonder if AR565 is coming.

ice29

by ice29

Hi, many thanks for such long thread, lots of interesting info here :)
I have been using DT Swiss PRC1100 35mm DB deep wheelset on my Scott Addict RC (as I bought it with one), 25mm wide (external) and approx 1420g heavy, with Conti GP5000 TL 25mm. I live in Switzerland so mainly climb hills/mountains around... I always liked the looks of a bit deeper wheels, but don't want to go full aero since I don't ride flats that much (no that many around here...). So I was looking for 45-50mm wheelset built on Chinese rims (lightbicycle or nextie, 28mm wide, most likely 45mm deep, with DT240 hubs).
A few days ago I found very slightly used DT Swiss ERC1100 47mm DB wheels (~1490-1500g), 18mm/27mm for a nice price (~800usd with 28mm Conti GP5000 TL and Red cassette), they ride nicely and the deep rims definitely look better on the bike :)
But I am still thinking about going light with e.g. Light Bicycle AR45 Flyweight -> https://ibb.co/HDh4xD3
This would save maybe 150g of the whole setup, but cost me a few hundred $ for this upgrade... I am a bit concerned about the durability and stiffness - on one hand DT Swiss rims which are strengthened also for gravel and proven 240s hubs (= more weight), or Flyweight ~400g rims with currently questionable 240 EXP hubs (though they might have solved the ratchet issues now and I live 20 mins from DT Swiss HQ if I need to have stuff serviced). My weight is around 75kg, so not that fast uphill, though I like to climb the mountain passes here :)
Is it sensible to go after 150g with the custom wheelset or just forget it and ride the DTs? (I am also curious how these deeper ERCs will behave in downhills compared to those 35mm rims I used before... if it's really bad I can still go back to the original wheelset, which is nice, just not that aero and good looking :) )

jlok

by jlok

ice29 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:35 pm
Hi, many thanks for such long thread, lots of interesting info here :)
I have been using DT Swiss PRC1100 35mm DB deep wheelset on my Scott Addict RC (as I bought it with one), 25mm wide (external) and approx 1420g heavy, with Conti GP5000 TL 25mm. I live in Switzerland so mainly climb hills/mountains around... I always liked the looks of a bit deeper wheels, but don't want to go full aero since I don't ride flats that much (no that many around here...). So I was looking for 45-50mm wheelset built on Chinese rims (lightbicycle or nextie, 28mm wide, most likely 45mm deep, with DT240 hubs).
A few days ago I found very slightly used DT Swiss ERC1100 47mm DB wheels (~1490-1500g), 18mm/27mm for a nice price (~800usd with 28mm Conti GP5000 TL and Red cassette), they ride nicely and the deep rims definitely look better on the bike :)
But I am still thinking about going light with e.g. Light Bicycle AR45 Flyweight -> https://ibb.co/HDh4xD3
This would save maybe 150g of the whole setup, but cost me a few hundred $ for this upgrade... I am a bit concerned about the durability and stiffness - on one hand DT Swiss rims which are strengthened also for gravel and proven 240s hubs (= more weight), or Flyweight ~400g rims with currently questionable 240 EXP hubs (though they might have solved the ratchet issues now and I live 20 mins from DT Swiss HQ if I need to have stuff serviced). My weight is around 75kg, so not that fast uphill, though I like to climb the mountain passes here :)
Is it sensible to go after 150g with the custom wheelset or just forget it and ride the DTs? (I am also curious how these deeper ERCs will behave in downhills compared to those 35mm rims I used before... if it's really bad I can still go back to the original wheelset, which is nice, just not that aero and good looking :) )
I just got my WR50 flyweight 24/28 spokes. Climbing 1x% with that i9 1/1 rear wheel is such a pleasure. I weigh the same as you do, and the rear 3x/3x wheel feel solid without much power loss. I think AR45 would do you better. Grab a pair of S-Tubo + New High Road and you got a the wallet friendly and very light weight climbing wheels.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com